11 hours ago, CuriousSeeker said:

Eat less, eat simple Sato gun foods. Over time, as meditation gets deeper, amount of sleep will decrease on its own.  

I'd say 6-7 hours normally, and over time it can be reduced to 2-4 hours.  Sometimes less , depending on the person.

anything less than 5-6 hours could affect the body

On 1 August 2016 at 11:08 AM, jaikaara said:

anything less than 5-6 hours could affect the body

I tried eating earlier last night about 2 hours earlier than what i normally do. I woke up 2:30 in morning but i couldn't stand up. This is the time i actually want to wake up. My body was tired today but my eyes were open for a long time. All i ate last night was jam bread butter :P I slept roughly around 9.  I just want to do meditation during amrit vela without falling asleep. I normally do meditation during the evening but amrit vela has more importance, so i want to do as much meditation i can durning amrit vela. 

5 hours ago, Manrajsingh said:

I tried eating earlier last night about 2 hours earlier than what i normally do. I woke up 2:30 in morning but i couldn't stand up. This is the time i actually want to wake up. My body was tired today but my eyes were open for a long time. All i ate last night was jam bread butter :P I slept roughly around 9.  I just want to do meditation during amrit vela without falling asleep. I normally do meditation during the evening but amrit vela has more importance, so i want to do as much meditation i can durning amrit vela. 

Maalko why not sleep 6 hours at a stretch and do meditation from say 9 - 3:30 or so ..the actual amrit vela / brham muhrat is 2 hours or so before sunrise

17 hours ago, jaikaara said:

6-8 hours is normal ..go slow ..you will slowly be able to reduce it by an hour or so ..

Veerji finally i made it today. Maharajs apaar kirpa everything was fine i wasn't sleepy as i am normally. Its only cus of eating light food 2-3 hours before bed. Meditation was good aswell.

Thanks for help everyone who replied. 

Bhul chuk maaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. 

Guest delibeli
On 2 August 2016 at 11:50 PM, Manrajsingh said:

All i ate last night was jam bread butter :P I slept roughly around 9.  I just want to do meditation during amrit vela without falling asleep. I normally do meditation during the evening but amrit vela has more importance, so i want to do as much meditation i can durning amrit vela. 

I hope you realise that bread, butter and jam are not at all conducive to meditation or spiritual way of life!  Bread and butter are both very high carbs which will induce stupor if not deep sleep accompanied with heavy snoring!  Butter on the other hand is very high fat which will remain in your system for a long time because our bodies take ages to break down fats into simple fatty acids before they are digested!  So, don't eat high carb, high fat diet before retiring for bed, not even 2 hours before! Eating these 2 hours before bed is simply not a wise step.  

Eat lentils, one small chapati, few veges and two tablespoons half full of home made yoghurt.  Keep it very light, only in very small quantities.  Chapati is ideal as it does not have yeast in it unlike bread.  Lentils will provide protein and amino acids when combined with chapati.  Our brain needs amino acids to function and remain alert.  Veges will provide vitamins necessary for our brains and yoghurt contains enzymes to keep the lining of our stomachs healthy, for the producion of enough digestive enzymes to digest our food.  Keep your evening meal very simple, avoid too many spices, butter, ghee or cooking oils!  Moderation is the key.  Don't eat too much garlic, onions or pickles, they will cause restlessness, your mind will not be able to focus, making it very hard for you to sit for meditation.  

Stick to fresh fruits, nuts, very low fat organic milk with few vegetables and plenty of water instead of regular Indian diet as mentioned above; it is not conducive to spiritual path at all. I simply cannot eat normal Indian food and sit down to do paat or simran.  I had to change my diet to achieve results!  

On 2 August 2016 at 11:50 PM, Manrajsingh said: 

All i ate last night was jam bread butter :P I slept roughly around 9.  I just want to do meditation during amrit vela without falling asleep. I normally do meditation during the evening but amrit vela has more importance, so i want to do as much meditation i can durning amrit vela. 

delibeli replied:

I hope you realise that bread, butter and jam are not at all conducive to meditation or spiritual way of life!  Bread and jam are both very high carbs which will induce stupor if not deep sleep accompanied with heavy snoring!  Butter on the other hand is very high fat which will remain in your system for a long time because our bodies take ages to break down fats into simple fatty acids before they are digested!  So, don't eat high carb, high fat diet before retiring for bed, not even 2 hours before! Eating these 2 hours before bed is simply not a wise step.  

Eat lentils, one small chapati, few veges and two tablespoons half full of home made yoghurt.  Keep it very light, only in very small quantities.  Chapati is ideal as it does not have yeast in it unlike bread.  Lentils will provide protein and amino acids when combined with chapati.  Our brain needs amino acids to function and remain alert.  Veges will provide vitamins necessary for our brains and yoghurt contains enzymes to keep the lining of our stomachs healthy, for the producion of enough digestive enzymes to digest our food.  Keep your evening meal very simple, avoid too many spices, butter, ghee or cooking oils!  Moderation is the key.  Don't eat too much garlic, onions or pickles, they will cause restlessness, your mind will not be able to focus, making it very hard for you to sit for meditation.  

Stick to fresh fruits, nuts, very low fat organic milk with few vegetables and plenty of water instead of regular Indian diet as mentioned above; it is not conducive to spiritual path at all. I simply cannot eat normal Indian food and sit down to do paat or simran.  I had to change my diet to achieve results!  

4 hours ago, Manrajsingh said:

Veerji finally i made it today. Maharajs apaar kirpa everything was fine i wasn't sleepy as i am normally. Its only cus of eating light food 2-3 hours before bed. Meditation was good aswell.

Thanks for help everyone who replied. 

Bhul chuk maaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. 

Waah ji Waah ...Akaal Purakh Kirpa karan ..Guru Sahibaan di meher tuhaade te sadaa rahe ..very happy for you veere .

2 hours ago, delibeli said:

All i ate last night was jam bread butter :P I slept roughly around 9.  I just want to do meditation during amrit vela without falling asleep. I normally do meditation during the evening but amrit vela has more importance, so i want to do as much meditation i can durning amrit vela. 

delibeli replied:

I hope you realise that bread, butter and jam are not at all conducive to meditation or spiritual way of life!  Bread and jam are both very high carbs which will induce stupor if not deep sleep accompanied with heavy snoring!  Butter on the other hand is very high fat which will remain in your system for a long time because our bodies take ages to break down fats into simple fatty acids before they are digested!  So, don't eat high carb, high fat diet before retiring for bed, not even 2 hours before! Eating these 2 hours before bed is simply not a wise step.  

Yeh veerji you got a point. Thanks a lot i will try to change my entire diet to see if i can get even better results. 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been wondering about this too and am really trying to reduce sleep. ill share random points that i have heard of and/or experienced. 

I had a nutrition teacher who's colleague would do 8 hours of chi gung each night and didnt sleep at all.

Cold showers help a lot!

I definitely find reading more bani helps reduce sleep but i dont think we can force it i think reducing sleep has to happen naturally. wake up when you can for amrit vela and really really fall in love to quiet the mind, I find if i slow the breath it can help. I might do a big inhale and do a full exhale reciting banis or mul mantar etc.  

Some people may not agree and thats fine but i used to do 30 minutes of breth of fire and i had tons of energy. I have read carbon dioxide in the body can cause tiredness so super oxygenating the blood can help that. 

Sometimes i will wake up at 2am and do my practices until 6 or 7 and sleep for however long i can 30 minutes up to 2 hours depending on my schedule. I find that sleeping after long practices puts you quickly into a very deep refreshing sleep even if it is only 30 minutes. 

At one time i was reading japji 10 times a day and that seems to make up for sleep, tiredness was taken away for sure. but getting up for that has always been the hard part

Moving the body helps too, some stretching, moving lymph fluids

Seems the best thing is to do it keep adding more bani/simran when you can, the mind becomes more subtle and less sleep is needed. between 10pm and 2am is apparently the best time to sleep. I had a yoga teacher in the past also say that each hour slept before 12am is equivalent to 2 hours after 12am. 

Yogi bhajan would say go to sleep as if you are taking a nap. he only slept a couple hours if that each night and was perfectly consistant with his amrit vela practice from what i have heard. He read lots of bani also. 

my goal is to work out only sleeping a couple of hours a night, i am very far from that but would love to be able to do that haha

An oxygen concentrator will probably help a person to reduce his sleep. It increases the oxygen supply to the body, which assists in a sound sleep. My brother was told about this device by a high executive in a company. He used to use it as he did not have enough time to sleep in a day. It really helped him. He could sleep for less hours in a day and still feel fresh.  

It might take sometime for a person to get use to it. One will have to insert tubes into the nose, while sleeping. They are also expensive to buy.

http://www.inogen.com/resources/oxygen-concentrators/how-does-an-oxygen-concentrator-work/

Bhul chuk maaf