Jagtar Singh Jaggi Petition

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://news.sky.com/story/jagtar-singh-johal-brother-of-imprisoned-briton-tells-david-cameron-his-life-is-in-your-hands-13070109

Jagtar Singh Johal: Brother of imprisoned Briton tells Lord Cameron 'his life is in your hands'

The brother of Jagtar Singh Johal has revealed to Sky News that he told Lord Cameron "his life is in your hands" as the foreign secretary gave assurances the government was doing "the right thing" by the British national.

Monday 12 February 2024 15:18, UK

The brother of a British man who has been held in an Indian prison for more than six years has told Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron "his life is in your hands".

Jagtar Singh Johal from Dumbarton, Scotland, was in Punjab, northern India, for his wedding in 2017 when his family said he was arrested and bundled into an unmarked car.

He is said to have been tortured, including with electric shocks, and faces the death penalty as a result of his campaigning for Sikh rights.

Politics live: Cameron holds 'very important meeting' over detained Briton

Mr Johal's family have continually urged the British government to help secure his release and, after a meeting with Lord Cameron on Monday, Mr Johal's brother has said there is "hope" that the former prime minister can be the one to bring him back to the UK.

When asked what he said to Lord Cameron during the meeting, Gurpreet Singh Johal told Sky News: "I have reiterated to him that my brother's life's in your hands, and if he doesn't do anything then my brother could be in there a long time.

"Jagtar is also facing the death penalty, which will be on the foreign secretary, so I have put it on him so he understands the urgency."

Mr Johal added: "The family requires answers, six years on, six foreign secretaries, but there is hope on my side that an ex-prime minister who was in charge of this country can use his skills to bring my brother back home.

"The UK government has said it is looking for a resolution, this should be that my British-born-and-bred brother should be brought back to his family in the UK where he can continue his life."

'No promises'

It comes as Lord Cameron vowed to review the government's involvement in Mr Johal's case to "make sure we are doing the right thing".

Speaking after the meeting with the family, he said: "I wanted to meet there with the family and hear from them what they think. And I want to really stress, as an incoming foreign secretary, you don't just accept what the government has said up to now, you really look at it, really ask the questions."

Making "absolutely no promises" Lord Cameron said he would look through all the paperwork again, urging the Indian government to "speed up this case".

"I am going to take into account what they have said and see whether there is a different approach we should be taking," Lord Cameron told reporters.

Lord Cameron voices concern over Rafah situation

Lord Cameron made 'no promises' during the meeting with the Johal family

"I am going to re-examine everything and make sure we are doing the right thing.

Revealing more about his brother's imprisonment, Mr Johal said the last time the family had any contact was on 18 October, the date of the imprisoned blogger's wedding anniversary.

"We are supposed to have video calls with Jagtar but those are not being allowed by Indian authorities," he said.

"He is supposed to have at least a monthly phone call with the family - that's not been allowed either. Instead, there is always an excuse for them not happening."

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.uscirf.gov/religious-prisoners-conscience/forb-victims-database/jagtar-singh-johal

User account menu

Home

Jagtar Singh Johal

Perpetrator: India

Religion or Belief: Sikh

Reports of Torture: Yes

Reports of Medical Neglect: No

Date of Detainment: November/4/2017

Current Status: Not Released

Religious Leader: No

Most Recent Type of Abuse: Detainment

Reason for Persecution: Criticizing Religious Freedom Conditions Human Rights Work for Religious Communities Religious Belief Reporting on Religious Freedom Conditions or Documenting Religious Freedom Violations

Nature of Charges: Arms Trafficking & Illicit Use of Weapons Criminal Premeditation & Conspiracy Murder & Attempted Murder Terrorism

Jagtar Singh Johal

Extra Bio Info:

Jagtar Singh Johal is detained for his religious belief and for documenting religious freedom violations.

On November 4, 2017, 15 unidentified men in Rama Mandi, Jalandhar, Punjab, abducted Johal after his wedding in Jalandhar. The following day, Johal appeared a duty magistrate in Bagha Purana where no formal charges were filed against him. Authorities later released a press statement that Johal was among other suspects accused of “being involved in a series of killings carried out in collaboration with Pakistani intelligence operatives as part of a conspiracy to fan communal disturbances and destabilize the State.” Prior to his arrest, Johal, a British citizen, was an online activist and contributed to a website that documented human rights violations and persecution of Sikhs in India. 

Between November 4, 2017, to November 7, 2017, police interrogated and tortured Johal by using electric shocks, forcing his limbs into painful positions, and depriving him of sleep. Authorities have reportedly failed to investigate Johal’s allegations of torture.

Between November 4, 2017, to November 14, 2017, Johal was held incommunicado and denied adequate legal counsel.

On December 6, 2017, police from Ludhiana arrested Johal for allegedly killing a member of a far-right Hindu political party in January 2017.

On December 7, 2017, local news organizations aired video footage of Johal’s alleged confession, despite no references being made in the video to the crimes he was charged with.

On or around December 11, 2017, Khanna police arrested Johal for allegedly killing a Hindu leader in April 2016.

In May 2019, Punjab police and the National Investigative Agency filed charges against Johal in 10 cases related to “crimes of conspiracy and funding and recruiting for terrorist activities related to attacks on members of right-wing Hindu nationalist political groups and religious leaders in Punjab allegedly by the Khalistan Liberation Force.” Johal was charged with conspiracy (Sec. 120B IPC), murder (Sec. 302 IPC), terrorist acts (Sec. 16 UAPA), using arms (Sec. 27 Arms Act), and more. Charges against Johal are reportedly based primarily on confessions he made obtained under torture.

On January 7, 2021, the Special Cell of the Delhi Police arrested Johal in another case accusing him of being involved in the murder of another individual in October 2020, despite Johal being in Tihar Jail.

Between January 9, 2021, and January 16, 2021, Johal was held incommunicado.

In May 2022, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention declared Johal’s detention arbitrary and called for his immediate release.  In their opinion, the Working Group stated that it believes Johal was targeted “because of his activities as a Sikh practitioner and supporter and because of his activism in writing public posts calling for accountability for alleged actions committed against Sikhs by the authorities.” It added that Johal was “deprived of his liberty on discriminatory grounds, owing to his status as a human rights defender and based on his political activism, religious faith and opinions.”

Johal is currently being held in Tihar Jail.