What is the Ath Chandi Charitar Ustat Barnan bani?

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Keep Fateh.

Hey everyone, I hope all is well.

Well my question is obvious, what is the ath chandi charitar ustat barnan bani?

The reason I ask is because well I use Sundar Gutka app to do paath, and sometimes I tend to look at the other Bani's that I don't recite (it's because I can't), this Bani on the app is very short so I would like to include it into my bhagti.

I know this Bani is found in Dasam Satguru Granth Sahib Ji. However what I want to know is what is it for?

What is Maharaj saying?

Is there any maryada when reciting this Bani?

I may in the future ask about the other bani's I see on the app so I please bare with me 😂

Thank you

17 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

Waheguru ji ka khala Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Veerji, 

I am putting little on what I know to help u.  ((Others please correct me if I am wrong and put ur inputs)) 

The Bani Ath Chandi Charitar Ustat Barnan is a part of morning Nitnem for 'Budha Dal Sikhs'.  Here 'Ath' means now and the Bani is mainly praise of the Chandi Charitar path.  

It marks the importance of why we should do 'Chandi Charitar'.  The last stanza is also included in 'Hazoori Rehraas Sahib "  Chandi Charitar Ustat Barnan" is sung daily when U do Chandi Charitr Paths occasionally as here Guru Sahib have told various attributes of Chandi.

He has made it clear in this ustat barnan that Chandi is not a Human(lady) or not some deity but it is formless and is willpower (Shakti) of human brain under the hukam of Parbrahm

These Banis are very powerful.  If done regularly they are capable of providing anything you can ask for.  🌸((Jaap Sahib still remains on top though and is highly recommended before any Dasam Bani)) 🌸

Maryaada is same as Chandi di Vaar i.e avoid in the evening hours or continue for the whole night.  And proper hygiene etc

Bhen ji thats really nice post on the subject.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:14 PM, Inderpal1994 said:

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Keep Fateh.

Hey everyone, I hope all is well.

Well my question is obvious, what is the ath chandi charitar ustat barnan bani?

The reason I ask is because well I use Sundar Gutka app to do paath, and sometimes I tend to look at the other Bani's that I don't recite (it's because I can't), this Bani on the app is very short so I would like to include it into my bhagti.

I know this Bani is found in Dasam Satguru Granth Sahib Ji. However what I want to know is what is it for?

What is Maharaj saying?

Is there any maryada when reciting this Bani?

I may in the future ask about the other bani's I see on the app so I please bare with me 😂

Thank you

I have read this bani a few times now its originally from Chandi Chirtar 2 the 8th chapter in the bani.

The maryada is the same as Chandi Di Vaar to be read before sunset. Its quite a bir ras bani the full 8 chapters in Chandi Chirtar 2 so its best to read alongside with Sukhmani Sahib afterwards to control the bir ras. Its also best to read after a shower or kesi ishan if you can.

I have read the full paath but why they have published this as a short bani i am not sure but i did hear in a katha track that it can read 11 times the 8th chapter which you have made a thread on.

Also the ending dohra is read in Sri Hazur Sahib, Nihang Dals and Damdami Taksal gutka pothis.

I know Chandi Kee Vaar is in Panjabi, I think the other ones are in a different language? Maybe Brij Bhasha?

Just now, dalsingh101 said:

I know Chandi Kee Vaar is in Panjabi, I think the other ones are in a different language? Maybe Brij Bhasha?

Veer ji its in Brij language the bani of Chandi Chirtar and Chandi Di Vaar is in punbai as i read both of them this weekend gone. The words are a lot harder in Chandi Chirtar 2 than Chandi Di Vaar.

29 minutes ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji its in Brij language the bani of Chandi Chirtar and Chandi Di Vaar is in punbai as i read both of them this weekend gone. The words are a lot harder in Chandi Chirtar 2 than Chandi Di Vaar.

I think we need a lot more resources in the panth to improve our Brij Bhasha. Especially dictionaries and stuff.  You can get Brij dictionaries in Hindi scripts but we need them in Gurmukhi. 

1 minute ago, dalsingh101 said:

I think we need a lot more resources in the panth to improve our Brij Bhasha. Especially dictionaries and stuff.  You can get Brij dictionaries in Hindi scripts but we need them in Gurmukhi. 

You are right veer ji we do need more Brij dictionaries in Gurmukhi cos i had to use roman english along with a audio track of the bani for Chandi Chirtar 2.

Also it would be helpful and benfetional for the panth to learn from as well.

14 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I can read and understand Brij Bhasha.  Pls let me know if I could be of any help.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

I can read and understand Brij Bhasha.  Pls let me know if I could be of any help.  Thanks

Can you tell us more about it? How do you think it differs from Panjabi? How did you learn it? Do you ever read older Sikh texts that are written in Brij Bhasha? 

6 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

Ji

Brij bhasha Or Braj language as we may call it is actually old Hindi,  based on Avadhi Or Prakrit I guess.. It's the same script as in Hindi.  Brij Is mainly related to Sri Krishna.  So it's very close to Hindi

Guru Gobind Singh ji as was born in Patna,  Bihar region,  must be well versed in this language.  He is anyway Sarab kala bharpoor and we see Persian, Arabic etc  too used in Jaap Sahib and Akal Ustat Bani. Guru Sahib's '52 kavis' were also learned Hindus of that times.  Bhai Nandlaal ji was a great Scholar and very learned.  So that may be the reason for vivid use of language and poetry. 

For those who speak Hindi it's easy rather n that's how I know and understand it.  

I am somehow fascinated with Dasam Bani so much.  Though even my parents keep telling me to indulge more in SGGS ji..  Chandi di Vaar,  I have included in my Nitnem and my kids also sing it. 

What is it about this granth that fascinates you?

In terms of vocabulary: how similar (or different) is the Brij Bhasha vocabulary of the granth compared to modern Hindi? 

g pr.mp3g pr.mp3

13 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

What is it about this granth that fascinates you?

In terms of vocabulary: how similar (or different) is the Brij Bhasha vocabulary of the granth compared to modern Hindi? 

Well! I am no poet to express my exact feelings but I love reading it.  I will put a short clip thas how I can go on and on with it...  The flow in which Guru Sahib goes on  praising Lord. I simply can't express but keep on flowing... Falling in love..... 

And as for the Bhasha it's a kind of mixture of Hindi n Sanskrit..  Probably little Bhojpuri and Punjabi.  As we read it..  It's understood.  

P. S.  Got conscious as was aware of it being recorded.  Never done before 🐼

14 Mar, 16.28.mp3

12 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

g pr.mp3g pr.mp3 2.48 MB · 0 downloads

Well! I am no poet to express my exact feelings but I love reading it.  I will put a short clip thas how I can go on and on with it...  The flow in which Guru Sahib goes on  praising Lord. I simply can't express but keep on flowing... Falling in love..... 

And as for the Bhasha it's a kind of mixture of Hindi n Sanskrit..  Probably little Bhojpuri and Punjabi.  As we read it..  It's understood.  

P. S.  Got conscious as was aware of it being recorded.  Never done before 🐼

14 Mar, 16.28.mp3 454.56 kB · 1 download

Bhen ji thats really good as you have posted recording of Chandi Chirtar 2 as i read this bani last weekend. Very happy to hear this bani's paath as not many people read this bani. 

I myself am using audio tracks for this bani and hopefuly when Waheguru does kirpa i will be able to do Chandi Chirtar 1 as thats one bani i really want to read as well.

13 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Bhen ji thats really good as you have posted recording of Chandi Chirtar 2 as i read this bani last weekend. Very happy to hear this bani's paath as not many people read this bani. 

I myself am using audio tracks for this bani and hopefuly when Waheguru does kirpa i will be able to do Chandi Chirtar 1 as thats one bani i really want to read as well.

Thanku Veeeji,

Yes I love reading these Banis.  But would say one thing that either you go for CC 1, CC2 or Chandi di Vaar.  The essence is the same,  that we have to fight against the 6-7 👹👹 demons inside us. 

These Banis are the best n easiest way to do that.  Just that CC1 and 2 are more detailed.  Like the sounds of Wars( Dhagadum dhaguddam Nagaddum baaje) whereas Chandi di war  is more poetic.

These Banis are the best n easiest way to do that.  Just that CC1 and 2 are more detailed.  Like the sounds of Wars( Dhagaddang daane...Bagaddang baaje) whereas Chandi di war  is more poetic.

5 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

Thanku Veeeji,

Yes I love reading these Banis.  But would say one thing that either you go for CC 1, CC2 or Chandi di Vaar.  The essence is the same,  that we have to fight against the 6-7 👹👹 demons inside us. 

These Banis are the best n easiest way to do that.  Just that CC1 and 2 are more detailed.  Like the sounds of Wars( Dhagadum dhaguddam Nagaddum baaje) whereas Chandi di war  is more poetic.

These Banis are the best n easiest way to do that.  Just that CC1 and 2 are more detailed.  Like the sounds of Wars( Dhagaddang daane...Bagaddang baaje) whereas Chandi di war  is more poetic.

So they aren't like straight different language versions of each other? One Brij Bhasha and one Panjabi? 

27 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

So they aren't like straight different language versions of each other? One Brij Bhasha and one Panjabi? 

Veer ji you are right they all have the same battle story of Durga but its just Chandi Di Vaar thats in Punjabi and the Chandi Chirtars 1&2 are in Brij Bhasha.

5 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

Thanku Veeeji,

Bhen ji you are right all 3 of these banis are the same with the battle mentioned of Durga with the demons. 

I usually like reading Chandi Di Vaar,Shastar Naam Mala,Brahm Kavach alongside with these banis as they are new to me so i have to use audio tracks to repeat the pronouncation of the words. 

So far i have read Ugardanti which is another bir ras bani but in the same style as Shastar Naam Mala. Akal Ustat i read once in 9 days step by step. Bhaguti Astotar i used to read before but stopped recently as it has be read before sunrise amritvela.

Its also best bhen ji to read Sukhmani Sahib after these banis as it helps keep the bir ras and shant ras hand in hand.

I also heard in katha if you do 1 hour of dasam bani its best to do 1 hour Waheguru Simran to balance it out.

3 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji you are right they all have the same battle story of Durga but its just Chandi Di Vaar thats in Punjabi and the Chandi Chirtars 1&2 are in Brij Bhasha.

Yet again Guru ji has blessed us linguistically.  This will help us to learn Brij Bhasha of that time. 

Thank you Dasmesh Pita ji, yet again. 

22 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Yet again Guru ji has blessed us linguistically.  This will help us to learn Brij Bhasha of that time. 

Thank you Dasmesh Pita ji, yet again. 

Yes veer ji you are 100% right as it shows how important Brij Bhasha is especially as Suraj Parkash is also written in Brij Basha as well which has all of our itihaas written in.

Waheguru Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji

On 3/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, Soulfinder said:

Bhen ji you are right all 3 of these banis are the same with the battle mentioned of Durga with the demons. 

I usually like reading Chandi Di Vaar,Shastar Naam Mala,Brahm Kavach alongside with these banis as they are new to me so i have to use audio tracks to repeat the pronouncation of the words. 

So far i have read Ugardanti which is another bir ras bani but in the same style as Shastar Naam Mala. Akal Ustat i read once in 9 days step by step. Bhaguti Astotar i used to read before but stopped recently as it has be read before sunrise amritvela.

Its also best bhen ji to read Sukhmani Sahib after these banis as it helps keep the bir ras and shant ras hand in hand.

I also heard in katha if you do 1 hour of dasam bani its best to do 1 hour Waheguru Simran to balance it out.

Has there ever been a case when a Singh recites Dasam Bani more than Adi gurbani? What effects usually happens? 

Does the individual become more aggressive?

22 minutes ago, Inderpal1994 said:

Has there ever been a case when a Singh recites Dasam Bani more than Adi gurbani? What effects usually happens? 

Does the individual become more aggressive?

Well from personal experince veer ji i can say that i have seen the effects of bir ras so thats why i usually use to keep a balance of dasam bani with either panj banis or sukhmani sahib as they go hand in hand being shant ras and bir ras.

There shouldn't be any bad effects reading more dasam bani unless you don't make any mistakes. Cos i did hear 2 cases of how 2 singhs read chandi di vaar 25 times. One got darshan of shaheed fauj. The other one made a mistake (don't know which but i have the link of katha tracks) then a kirpan started spinning in the room very fast and shaheed fauj came and said read brahm kavach then it became shant the kirpan.

As long as you read the banis after a shower or kesi ishaan is fine. 

Also best to do 1 hour simran especially if you spend 1 hour reading dasam bani.

On 3/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, chatanga1 said:

No. There are differences to the style of writing as well. One is a translation based on the Devi wars from Markendey Puran. The other is in Guru Sahibs own words.

thats very true , i used to do Paath of SaptaShati Chandi composed by Rishi Markandey during Navraate prior to being absorbed in Sikhi. 

Sapstahati Chandi is a detailed description of the whole event. Guru Maharaaj has laid stress on the War(Jangh )part and described in Bir Ras. This description is very unique, in a very high energy flow. 

There is a reason behind this, Punjab was influenced by the Shakt tradition before getting influenced by the Vaishnav tradition. Even if you look at the names of the different cities or places such as Chandigarh, Ambala,  Jallandhar(the rakshas whom the Shakti had slain) .

There is influence of this martial Goddess even in regular day to day conversation. For example , some lady gets angry they say ohnu Chandi aa gayi. This also means that opposite to how the Shakti is worshiped in the North as a kind Mother and addressed as Maiya and the worship is done in the Satvic way, Punjab , Bengal, Northeastern states worship the Shakti in Bir Ras. 

On 3/26/2019 at 4:47 AM, jaikaara said:

thats very true , i used to do Paath of SaptaShati Chandi composed by Rishi Markandey during Navraate prior to being absorbed in Sikhi. 

What language was that in bro?