Gurfateh all, whats the difference between IkOngkar and Ikangkar?

21 hours ago, sarabatam said:

Brother, 

if it could be helpful somehow, following is some information which I found on the net and would like to share with the sangat here.

Different words for the same and different ideas. Ekankar is a simplified version of other
words which can also have slightly different meanings and across different teachings.

This post is a bit rough and covers a lot of ground. However given the refs and the subject matter I think it's still worth posting. Someone might find it just the ticket one day for their own research.

I suppose and title could be "don;t make rash assumptions. Ideas come from Knowledge, both inner and outer imho, in balance. Helps to get the basic knowledge accurate first, as hard as that can be sometimes. Wrong information leads to premature and incorrect conclusions.

During the time of Nanak and the establishment of Sikhism various languages and semantics
developed for the symbol ? , pronounced Ek Onkar, is the symbol that is used to represents the
"One Supreme Reality" or "One God."

Ik Onkar (Gurmukhi: ?, ??? ??????; Ikk Oankar Punjabi pronunciation: [?k? o??ka?]) is the
symbol that represents the One Supreme Reality and is a central tenet of Sikh religious
philosophy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ik_Onkar

It has been represented as, or confused with, variant phrases such as:
Ik Onkar,
Ik Ong Kar,
Ik Oankaar,
Ek Oankar,
Ek Oankaar,
Ek Aumkaar,
Ek Onkar,
Ek Ong Kar,
Ek Om Kar,
EK-ANKAR,
Ekankar,
Ekankaar,
Ekangkar,
Ekanakar and others.

These words don't necessarily mean the same thing, and can vary in meaning in different contexts.

But Marman suggests in his book:
"Sukhmani should be of particular interest to modern day followers of Eckankar, Sant Mat, and
Radhasoami. The connection with Eckankar is especially strong. The Sukhmani opens with this
line: "Ek Onkar Sat Guru Prasad."

This means: "The One Reality - realized through the grace of the True Guru."

Some translations spell it this way: "Ekankar Sat Guru Prasad."

http://spiritualdialogues.com/books/sukhmani-the-secret-of-inner-peace/

I can't see other translations spelling it that way. Though sometimes 'Ek Onkar' could be
spelled 'Ekankar' they don't use the latter in this mantra. However no one else except Marman seems to spell it that way, so it's probably not correct.

Search for this Marman phrase of "Ekankar Sat Guru Prasad" (placing the "exact phrase" in
quotes) Google search which gives the following 6 results:
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q="Ekankar+Sat+Guru+Prasad"

See? No one except for Marman spells the phrase Ik Ong Kar or Ek Onkar as "Ekankar" in
the Sihk term:  "Ik Ong Kar Sat Gur Prasad" or "Ek Onkar Sat Guru Prasad"!!!

In fact the more common spelling today seems to be "Ek Ong Kar Sat Gur Prasad"
In Google it brings about 27,600 results
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q="Ek+Ong+Kar+Sat+Gur+Prasad"

Unless one has a good knowledge of various languages and faiths, it's best not to rush to fast
ahead. Many things that 'sound' similar may not be the very same thing, and so inaccurate
connections can be made where none exists.

---

The following may help to show how complex these words and meanings can be.

Another translation for 'Ek Onkar Sat Gur Prasad' goes:

"There is one Creator of all Creation.  All is a blessing of the One Creator.  This realization comes through Guru's Grace."
http://www.spiritvoyage.com/mantra/Ek-Ong-Kar-Sat-Gur-Prasad/MAN-000028.aspx

Guru Nanak spread a simple message of "Ek Ong Kar": we are all one, created by the "One
Creator of all Creation." This was at a time when India was being torn apart by castes,
sectarianism, religious factions, and fanaticism.

He aligned with no religion, and respected all religions. He expressed the reality that there
is one God and many paths, and the Name of God is Truth, "Sat Nam".
https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Gurudwara_Dashmesh_Darbar_Sahib#About_Sikhism

This symbol ? pronounced Ek Onkar is the symbol that is used to represent the "One Supreme
Reality" or "One God."
https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Ek_Onkar

"Ek Oankaar" |? means There is only One God
Ek = One
There is but one God, the Sole Supreme Being, the Ultimate Reality.
https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Mool_Mantar

So in this primary sense Ik Ong Kar / Ek Onkar typically means: the Sole Supreme Being, or One
Supreme Reality, or One God, or the One Reality, or the Ultimate Reality, and One Creator of
all Creation.

So, basically this idea by Marman of "Ekankar Sat Guru Prasad" isn't really correct at all.

Plus when Marman suggests: "The resemblance to Eckankar is no accident. Paul Twitchell derived the name for  his modern teaching from this phrase."

That claim too doesn't appear to stand up to investigation.

On Sikhnet they suggest Ekankar can mean something different:

"In this state He was Nirgun (without any attributes) or Nirankar (without any dimensional
manifestations).

"There is another representation of God in Nirgun state mentioned as Ekankar where singularity
of God is emphasised in mathematical sense. The numeral one or 1 or Ek Ank (eyk AMk) is used
as a representation of the oneness of God by calling transcendent God as Ekankar (eykMkwr).

"The numeral one or Ik signifies the formless (Nirankar) as Ekankar immediately prior to
ordering (Kawaao) or just before willing the creation of the physical universes.  

Bhai Gurdas elaborates this process of creation (Vaar 26.2)

"From the Nirankar (formless) state (He) moved towards the infinite Ekankar state.
 From this Ekankaar the Oankar syllable sound helped create shapes."

http://fateh.sikhnet.com//Sikhnet/discussion.nsf/SearchView/E7A41A235FC1861D87256BA10061A53E!
OpenDocument

Ek Oankar cosists of two components:
Numeral One (refered to as Ekankar in SGGS) e.g.
Prabh bhave ta kre visthar, Prabh bhave ta Ekankar.(Gauri Sukhmani)

Oora charachter with open top and hora attached (referred to as Oankar) as in the composition
Oankar in Ramkali Dakhani Rag.

The two components joined together in the Ek Oankar or Beej Mantar as it is called does not
simply mean God is one. This is too simplistic.
http://fateh.sikhnet.com//sikhnet/discussion.nsf/78f5a2ff8906d1788725657c00732d6c/E9F19F0D0D81E07587256CBD005A70AD!OpenDocument

---

One of Marman's sources for translations and Sikhism beliefs is
Prof Devinder Singh Chahal, PhD, Institute for Understanding Sikhism who says:

The symbol ?  it is pronounced by many Sikh theologians as 'Ek Oankaar' or 'Ek Aumkaar'
because they consider the open 'Oora' is the abbreviation of 'Oankaar' used in Gurbani.

Many Sikh scholars relate 'Oankaar' to 'Aum' according to Vedic and Vedantic philosophy.
This paper presents the findings of our continuous research into the meanings of the logo,
< , coined by Guru Nanak.

Here it has been fully documented that < stands for:

'Ek Oh Beant' (One and Only, Oh, Infinite).

The first part # is generally pronounced by many Sikh
theologians and scholars as eyku EAMkwru (Ek Oankaar) or
eyku Emkwr (Ek Aumkaar).

To pronounce / as eyku EAMkwru or eykMkwru (Ek Oankaar
or Ekankaar) cannot be justified based on the fact that a
Bani at pages 929-938 in AGGS is entitled as EAMkwru
(Oankaar). If Guru Nanak can use EAMkwru in this Bani
then he would have used it also in the Commencing
Verse in place of / . Or # (Open Oora) could have
been used in place of EAMkwru in rest of the Bani, but it is
not so. Therefore, # (Open Oora) is entirely different
than EAMkwru (Oankaar) or EMmkwru (Aumkaar) in meaning
as well as in pronunciation. Besides / cannot be
pronounced as eyku EAMkwru or eykMkwru (Ek Oankaar or
Ekankaar) under any circumstances.

If anybody needs more information, this is the link :

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.religion.eckankar/8dhAk9F6-II

The above presentation on the net is quite acceptable, yet if you ask my opinion, I would say, that Ikoankar means the one Creator Satnam, and while in Ikangkar, could very well be, The One, with one part /organ/limb, which is the Naad, the Shabad, the Nam, the Amrit Bani resounding throughout the creation, so the one with that Oneness, is none other than Waheguru Akal Purukh, so necessarily, it refers to that Primal Truth, the source of everything that exists throughout all the gross, subtle and spiritual realms, which is Satnam, as seen in the very begining in the Bani:

Ik Oankar Satnam.

SSA.

I just know of Ongkaar and Ekangkaar, first heard it here, not sure if same ones you are looking for

Some notes I took from this video

ੴ  
ikOankaar
(to understand ^)

ekankaar, oankaar

ਏਕਮ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਨਿਰਾਲਾ ॥
ekam eka(n)kaar niraalaa
(the one is unique)

ਅਮਰੁ ਅਜੋਨੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਲਾ ॥
amar ajonee jaat na jaalaa ||
(undying, unborn, no caste, no entanglements)

ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖਿਆ ॥
agam agochar roop na rekhiaa ||
(unreachable, unfathomable/incomprehensible, no form, no features)

ਖੋਜਤ ਖੋਜਤ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਦੇਖਿਆ ॥
khojat khojat ghaT ghaT dhekhiaa ||
(searching and searching I found it in each and every heart)

ik is everywhere but no form

(from Shabad Ramkali(raag), Dakhni Onkar, Ramkali Dakhni)

ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਨੇੜੈ ਹਰਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਏਕੋ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਬਾਈ ॥
prabh neRai har dhoor na jaanahu eko sirasaT sabaiee ||
(God is near, don't think it as far away, that one permeates all creation)

ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੁ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੫॥
eka(n)kaar avar nahee dhoojaa naanak ek samaiee ||5||
(there is only oneness there is no other, Nanak say's merge into the one)

Monotheistic - one god and human like characteristics
Pantheism(oankaar ~ aum) - god is everywhere, everything

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Merged both, unifying, Ik is same as Pantheistic picture, neither Monotheism, nor Pantheism, closest is Panentheism.
One is everywhere but not dependent on universe, an own individuality. This is the full picture given by ੴ  . This makes the 2 symbols merged.

What is Oankaar?
comes from Om, Aum, ॐ
Trimurty (creator, sustainer, destroyer)

Oang, primal sound, primal vibration form, initial form of universe beingless form, Physical manifestation of non-physical, Oankaar is physical manifestation of Ekankaar.
From nothingness(ekankaar, nirgun) to all(onkaar, sargun). Oankaar is continuing even now, all that there is and expansion.

SSA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMHO..another light bulb 💡 I found my own answer..Ikangkar in sukhmani sahib is different than IkOngkar ie Ikangkar sada sada ek ekangkar and prab abanishi Ikangkar . Ikongkar is full manifestation of sargun unity between nirgun and sargun while Ikangkar is only nirgun sehaj avastha without manifestation ie- bhramgyan parloa / sun smadhi / 21st asthpadi. That's my understanding..I am willing to learn more about this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/31/2020 at 9:10 PM, sarabatam said:

One of best explanation i heard of Ikongkar- from friend of mine who quoted sant waryam singh ji ratwara sahib

- IKongkar- THERE IS ONLY GOD- 

Boom amazing essence meaning. 

3 hours ago, sarabatam said:

IKongkar- THERE IS ONLY GOD- 

Totally agree.

The prefix syllable Ik, in both the terms refers to the only One, and the only One, true Lord God Creator is Waheguru Akal Purukh.

Following is an clarifying and inspiring article by Sukhmandir Kaur, which I found on the net and would like to share with the Sangat.

Ik Onkar - One God

Ik Onkar is a symbol which appears at the beginning the Sikh scripture and means, "One With Everything". The symbol is written in the Gurmukhi script and has several components. Some references are also spelled out in scripture as to Ek Ankar.

• Ik (or Ek) stands for the Gurmukhi numeral "One".
  • On is a combination or O and An stands for "Everything".
  • Kar is inferred and stands for "Creator".
The symbol Ik Onkar communicates the idea of one one creative being, or one God, manifest in all of existence. The creator and creation are one entity, inseparable in the way an ocean is made up of its individual drops, or a tree is composed of its individual components, roots, trunk, bark, branches, leaves, sap and seeds, (cones, fruits, or nuts).

Pronunciation: Ik (i as in lick) (alternately Ek, or aek sounding like the a in lake) O un kaar (aa sounds like the a in car)

Alternate Spellings: Ik Oankar, Ik Oankaar, Ek Onkar, Ek Ankar

Examples
  • "Sabh meh jaano karataa ek ||In all do I recognize that the One Creator is present." SGGS||377
  • "Safal janam hoaa mil saadhoo ekankaar dhiaaae raam ||Fruitful becomes the life upon meeting with the Saints, and contemplating the One Creator Lord." SGGS||782
  • "Tiseh bhoojh jin too keeaa prabh karann kaaran ek||1|| rahaao||Realize thou that He who created thee is the One God whom is the cause of all causes." Pause. SGGS||1007
  • "Eko karataa avar na koe ||There is only One, the Creator, there is no other at all." SGGS||1174
  • "Khaalik khalak khalak meh khaalik poor rehiou srab taanee ||1|| rehaao||
    The Creation is in the Creator, and the Creator is in the Creation, totally pervading and permeating all places. ||1||Pause|| SGGS||1349