Teenagers jailed for Mistaken Identity Murder of Boy

Picard-facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

https://www.desiblitz.com/content/teenagers-jailed-for-mistaken-identity-murder-of-boy

Teenagers jailed for Mistaken Identity Murder of Boy

Two teenagers have been jailed for killing a 16-year-old boy with a sword in what was a case of mistaken identity.

July 13, 2023

July 13, 2023

Teenagers jailed for Mistaken Identity Murder of Boy f

"your evil actions have taken my son's life"

Two 17-year-olds have been jailed for murdering a 16-year-old boy in a case of mistaken identity.

Ronan Kanda was stabbed close to his home in Wolverhampton after he visited a friend’s house to buy a PlayStation controller on June 29, 2022.

At Wolverhampton Crown Court, it was heard that Pradjeet Veadhasa was owed money by Ronan’s friend and intended to confront him.

The judge, Mr Justice Choudhury, said it was a “tragic coincidence” they saw Ronan leave the house where their intended victim lived and believed he was the boy they were after.

Ronan was just yards away from his home when he was attacked from behind as he listened to music in headphones.

Earlier in the day, Veadhasa had collected a ninja sword set and a large machete from a local post office after buying them online using a fake name.

Sukhman Shergill carried the machete by Veadhasa stabbed Ronan twice with the sword and he died at the scene.

The boy suffered a 20cm-deep wound in his back and hip area, and a 17cm-deep wound in his chest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66095727

Earlier that day Veadhasa had visited a post office to pick up the set of ninja knives and a machete he had bought online.

He had taken a dislike to one of Ronan's friends and the two had previously fought, detectives said.

Ronan was set-upon by then 16-year-olds who police said they mistook for his friend.

He suffered a 20cm deep wound in his back and hip area and a 17cm deep wound in his chest.

"They are monsters," Mrs Kanda said. "These youths they didn't think twice before what they did to my son."

Ronan's family is now calling for an urgent ban on the online sale of swords and large knives to "stop another innocent life getting taken away by knife crime".

WeaponsIMAGE SOURCE,WEST MIDLANDS POLICE Image caption,
Ronan was chased by the pair carrying a sword and a machete bought online

"When I saw for the first time the size of the sword, I fainted in grief," said Mrs Kanda.

The teenager's sister Nikita Kanda said she was astonished at how easy it was to buy such dangerous weapons.

"The boy who murdered my brother, he actually ordered them under his mother's ID," she said.

"He was able just to walk into the post office and just give the name and be given the parcel.

"If that boy was ID'd there, then maybe my brother would be here today."

In June they visited Parliament to meet policing minister Chris Philp MP and shadow minister Sarah Jones to call for stricter legislation.

His sister said they wanted justice for the "way our beautiful boy was taken in broad daylight".

It has been a year since Ronan's murder and his mother said she would never forgive the boys who took his life.

"There is no closure to this. I'll never understand why this happened to an innocent boy," she said.

"People say forgive, make peace. But no, I make peace within myself and I'm not forgiving them.

"They're monsters. They're evil."

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Premi said:

Character references were given in support of the murderers, by local Gurdware in the Wolverhampton/Walsall area which help minimise their sentences

Not necessarily. Looks like they got full sentences anyway. 

That is pretty messed up, kid died who wasn't involved in the original gripe. 

11 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Not necessarily. Looks like they got full sentences anyway. 

If you watched the program then you will hear in the last 15 mins at least (what I listened to) that a sentence was reduced by a year due to character reference from Gurdwara 

How the Gurdwara thought writing a letter in this scenario was a good idea, I don't know 

On 7/23/2023 at 7:42 AM, Premi said:

If you watched the program then you will hear in the last 15 mins at least (what I listened to) that a sentence was reduced by a year due to character reference from Gurdwara 

How the Gurdwara thought writing a letter in this scenario was a good idea, I don't know 

First thing, my hearts heavy for this mother and family. 

But to be honest, those two kids who are going down for this aren't going to be having a good time for many many years now. They'll be constantly around violence. Given the length of these sentences, I don't think a year going either way will make much difference. They'll probably be heavily 'institutionalised' well before they are let out, if they make it. 

Why the Gurdwara did this? I don't know what these kids backgrounds are? Was this 'out of character'? I don't know what the culture in Wolves is like (i.e. heavily gang influenced?) I'm not remotely condoning or excusing their behaviour - taking a mother's only son away is heart breaking. I could barely watch the mother and daughter's interview. 

I'm baffled over why they took this route. But I will say, remembering when I was around this age, A lot of young kids around where I grew up got into all manner of serious shyte, it wasn't uncommon. 

To me it only (yet again) emphasises why it's so important to try and inculcate  a sense of brotherhood amongst Sikhs as a force against this type of internal violence. But at this age, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if this is actually realistic, given the selfish nature of a lot of apnay, and the unhealthy competition over wealth and status they often have between themselves. Let's contextualise this: look at the rampant violence between young apnay in areas of Canada that frequently leads to murder (usually with firearms) - in that respect I think we are quite lucky in the UK, in that we haven't got to that yet.

How do you think these two should have been dealt with? 

2 hours ago, Premi said:
  • Trustee: Tirath Singh – Misused his position to rally support for a character reference used in the murder trial to defend his son, Sukhman Shergill.

Oooookayyyyyy...................

Pradjeet Veadhasa and Sukhman Shergill were targeting a boy over some money owed. They saw Ronan leave the house where their intended victim lived and believed he was the boy they were after.

This doesn't make ANY sense. Bhangal said these two knew the victim from school, so how could they mistake him for someone else??