Naam (ਨਾਮ), Naam di Daat (ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਦਾਤ), Naam Japna (ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣਾ), Difference in Naam, Gurmantar and Gur ka Shabad

On 12/1/2023 at 8:13 AM, Jigyasu1991 said:

Can someone please help me understand these terms ? there's lot of subtlety here which daas struggles to understand.

1) Naam (ਨਾਮ),

2) Naam di Daat (ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਦਾਤ), 

3) Naam Japna (ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣਾ),

4) Is naam japna and Gurmantar abhyaas same ?

5) Difference in Naam, Gurmantar and Gur ka Shabad

Naam any Name for 1. Goes far betond any tradition, language, culture, planet, universe. The amount of Naam are countless. But they are all in reference to Vaheguru Akal Purakh. 

Naam Jaapna is saying it. 

Daat not sure, gift of Naam?

Gurmantar is when you Jaap Sat Naam given by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Vaheguru. 

Naam, name for God, Gurmantar,  Vaheguru, Gur Ku Shabad Reciting Gurbani which is a form of Naam as well. 

We are instructed to contemplate, meditate, recite, surrender to Naam until it is 24hrs a day even in sleep. One could never recite Gurbani if it was not also Naam.

18 hours ago, Kaur10 said:

Naam - any name of God like Waheguru, Ram, Krishna, Radha etc . Parmatma has countless names.

Naam di daat- you need to beat your bad karma with naam simran abhiyaas in order to get this, (this is my story). I am trying naam simran as bhagti da seed is in my heart but there is tsunami of bad deeds which is not letting me progress. Naam di daat parmatma Di mehar naal mildi aa. 

Naam simran- repeating Waheguru Waheguru verbally loudly and then listening with your ears is the first stage. Doesn’t matter if you could focus or not, carry on doing it. 

Naam simran and Gurmantar -not sure, but I think in Sikhism yes. 

Naam, Gurmantar and Gur ka Shabad- I may be wrong in explaining this, better to wait for the correct answer from gurmukh. 

Bhul Chuk Maaf ! I am just a beginner who is failing but trying , not trying my best these days due to kalyug, but love to follow GURU Diya teachings. 

ONE THING I CAN SAY SURELY, NAAM SIMRAN IS THE ONLY KEY TO PARMATMA. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. 

Ram the Devi Devte for example is named for the Naam Mantar he was to deliver. 

Ram is a Devi Devte and a Naam for 1, but these Rams are not the Same. 

Is Krishna a Naam for 1 or just a Devi Devte?

3 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Ram the Devi Devte for example is named for the Naam Mantar he was to deliver. 

Ram is a Devi Devte and a Naam for 1, but these Rams are not the Same. 

Is Krishna a Naam for 1 or just a Devi Devte?

Sorry I didn’t understand what you mean.

I know Hindu sangat recite Radha, some Hare Krishna, some Har Har Mahadev etc. They do have many Naams to recite unlike us only WAHEGURU. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, Jigyasu1991 said:

Can someone please help me understand these terms ? there's lot of subtlety here which daas struggles to understand.

1) Naam (ਨਾਮ),

Naam is the primordial sound of creation; the voice of god; the combined symphony of all the anhand shabads (a loud single sound).

When some people start hearing anhad sounds within they can also be told they starting to hear naam. However there are various stages of hearing the different sounds which das doesn't want to go into because I don't want to say the wrong thing. Maybe refer to some as naam (with small n) and the ultimate Naam (with capital N) just to confuse you even more LOL. Once you hear the True Naam it will have the power to lift the mind/surti and take it on a journey. This I have heard from Gurmukhs but not yet experienced.

2) Naam di Daat (ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਦਾਤ), 

When a Guru/spirtual path teacher/panj pyare give a mantra to the student/disciple to start chanting.

At a higher avasta when Satguru within makes the mind hear the true Naam (1).

3) Naam Japna (ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣਾ),

Chanting a mantra of God's name. A conscious effort is being made to recite the mantra.

4) Is naam japna and Gurmantar abhyaas same ?

Generally speaking yes. When the word japna is used in conjunction with naam they mean the same thing. A conscious effort is being made to recite a mantra of god either verbally or mentally. 

5) Difference in Naam, Gurmantar and Gur ka Shabad

Naam already explained above, Gurmantar and Gur Ka Shabad (Name of God given to a disciple to recite) generally refer to the same thing. Some people also might refer to naam as a gurmantar depending on context but when you are aware off the different meaning try not to mix them up as it can lead to confusion.

It really depends on the context in which they are being used but this is how das understands them in simplistic terms.