Do Sikhs have to give money to bums?

Xylitol

Dont give him money but ask him the necessity if he needs clothes, food etc... buy him that... In that way you will be sure money you gave to him its indeed helping not screwing him more ie- buying drugs, alchohol, smokes etc...

SSA

when i went to india. there is a lot of people outside Gurdwara's and outside many places begging for money.. even little kids.

well i felt bad and i gave them money. but my dad said i shouldnt have because they can work for themselves and stuff.

in a way i agree that you should give money to Bums.. and in way its wrong . because god gave them two hands and two legs they can work and earn money... thats what i think. :)

SSA

One of the things i hate about india is the beggers. I went a year ago and everywhere we went, there they were. Few time i gave some money to some kids, by the time i turned around there were 20 more kids.

Its like what can one do....i give because i take pity upon the kid, but i know that tomorrow hes gona do the same things..and sooner or later its gona turn into his profession. I tried ignoring them but its of no use, how long can one hear their cry. I don't blame them either. I blame the Politician who know that this has become a problem and yet they build their houses worth a million dollars and can't open a Factory to provide jobs for these people.

There was this one girl who wouldn't leave us alone so i ignored for a whole 30 minutes. They are so persistant and patient that its unbelievable. They know that sooner or later you will give in and its hard to avoid them by turnin the other cheek. I told her why don't she work, she said, who is going to hire me. I told her to find a job, she said, Why don't you hire me, or find me a job. I was so dumbfounded and the way she said it made it seem like this was her last choice. She is helpless. Later when i thought about it...who would hire them. The people cannot solve the problem, it has grown so much that its out of our hands. The only people who can are the Governers or the Raaj Naytas who run the cities.

But i do agree with Lali, that once everyone just stops giving to the begger, they will realize and would be forced to find a job. In General giving them money is like giving a Person addicted to drugs some cocain. it doesn't help them get off it, its feeding them something that they need to get rid of. but i don't know, for me its difficult, even tho i know they have mastered the skill of begging and they may not be talking from their heart. It still the idea of the innocence that these kids have and they will never have a chance in life to grow up and be someone.

There's this homeless person near where I live who's allways asking for money. Do I have to give $? what are your thoughts?

Most homeless down and outs are alcohol and/or drug addicts.They spend your money on booze and drugs.Some of them earn more than £100 a day.

I know someone who works in housing.They check sometimes how many homeless there are at late night time.They usually only find 1-3 people who are truelly homeless.Where are the rest?

Probably in their council house getting high. :evil:

Dont give him money but ask him the necessity if he needs clothes, food etc... buy him that... In that way you will be sure money you gave to him its indeed helping not screwing him more ie- buying drugs, alchohol, smokes etc...

Totally agree.

Is he homeless? then you can point him to the nearest Gurudwara, as its open for everyone and it provides home for everyone...... If he does seva there, he will be blessed by the Guru too.

Keep this in mind, what I'm abt to tell u was most likely a rarity.

In Hereford (England/Wales border, home of the SAS) there lived a guy who was claiming disability allowance from the government.

During the day he used to drive up to Leeds, park his car and then walk some distance to the city centre. There he used to beg for money. Apparently he made around £500 a week. (This was most likely his allowance + begging combined, but I don't know).

He was either rumbled by someone from Hereford, or from someone who saw him in Leeds. Whoever it was contacted the Sun newspaper (UK) who ran a front page story on him. He never begged in Leeds again. This incident occured around 8 yrs ago. He drowned in a river abt 6 yrs ago. A lot of the locals in Hereford were happy he was dead.

There's no moral to this story, except that I wanted to kick the crap out of his younger brother but he was too fast for me (too much butter in my food).

Just to reiterate, this is most likely a unique case. You have to rate him for creativity though!!

I heard a lot of people who do like that.....

In India the situation is even worse.. There are kidnappers who kidnap kids, torture them and then put them on the streets for beggin

And after a month, they go around and collect all the money those kids gathered in their bowls.

The state of affairs is really sad.

those stories sound a lil crazzzy!

ok well if u ask me if u are going to give someone something, its should be food, u need food! imagine life without food! When i was in kenya... it hit me how many poor people there are... i knew it was bad, but when u go somewhere it hits you even harder! well my cha-cha and fam told me not to give them nothing.. so i did what they said, becuase once u give one person something, they all come after you... its kind of scary and sad at the same time. Well i just couldn't just stare at lil kids tossing a paper ball around with empty stomaches, so me and my cuz got a big box of cookies, decided to go to where the kids were playing (most of the kids had bloated stomaches) and we gave them like 3 each or so, and we rannnn like anything back home! lol even here.... the best thing u can do is just give food to food banks and give ur old clothes to them or new ones too! (thaz what i do!) n e wayz just don't give them money, b/c they cud be using it fo other things like peepz said b4!

one!

keep on smiling :D