why do people fear death?

Fear of Death is natural to those who think of themselves as the body. When one is attached to the body, he is attached to the world and all the things associated witht he world and you are correct the fear is there because of that attachment. Death is not the end, just an end to a chapter in a book.

Once you have realized and known the fact that you are the soul not the body. Fear simply dissappears as if it was never there to begin with. Realizing the truth is the key to eliminating this fear. Contemplating on this fear forces you to find the truth. If the purpose is to simply die then what purpose is to live? Death can become your meditation. Infact there are meditation which can give you the experience of death while alive. You see yourself dying slipping away and only then do you realize where you have tied your attachments to.

You being alive at the moment you read this post are not aware of death, being aware of death, contemplating on the end can take you beyond.

Saints and Gurus used to tell their disciples to meditate in a Grave yard. Why to seek the truth ofyourself. To watch the body burn and to see how fragile it is, to see and experience yourself. Meditating in a grave yard was/is still used today by some seekers. You become dead while alive...you lose this attachment with the body and once that is lost so is the fear of death. For death can never touche you. Its reach is only to the limits of the body, never to the soul. You will be alive tomorrow and you will be alive after you die, What is born shall die. God was not born. Existance simply exists. The universe was born, so one day it too will die as will this earth it is inevitable. Know the Truth about yourself, your true self for the fear one has are all illusions created by not-knowing.

I don't think there is only one simple answer to the question being asked considering everyone has different views to death.

Personally, I'm not afraid of death because I am already aware of the fact that death will approach me one day, therefore, there isnt anything to be afraid of.

Fateh

A person who did bhagti and bandagi of vahiguroo in this life desparetely wait for his/her death because as bhagat kabir says:

Jis Maran Jhagat Darie Mera Mann Anand

Maran Haiie Paaie Pooramanand||

The death which this world afraids of,My mind is in bliss

Because death is only way to get infinity bliss.

Akaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiii anand :D

^ I feel ya on that one.

That is one way to shut up the mind when the chatter is overwhelming...whenever i'm driving int he left late on an undivided highway and im listening to kirtan and the mind is being its normal self. I think to my self what wuold happen if i had a blowout and i sveer over to the left or if the other car ran into me... 99% of the time that works, its like a switch for the mind. The thought itself becomes the light that makes the noise of the mind dissappear and it automatically turns to kirtan.

Waheguru

I don't understand this concept sometimes. I mean our body and brain does it and our "soul" gets punishment?

Its because consiciouness(dont know the bloody speeling) of mind linked with jiv atma. Whatever mind does it does not only effect body but shuksham sirara(jiv atma) as well. Thus, get punishments from yamdoots, dharamraj.

There is a tape by sant maharaj in the shared hub.. you can feel free to download my id Akaal108. Its called "Swaarag and Narak Vichara"

Basically we all know what Narak is- Hell burn fire and ways of torturing even in Swarag.. your mind is filled with desires.. as in people are more higher level of swarag.. even Indr (raja of swarg) doesnt have peace of mind. He is bored dude sittin down looking at sant/mahapursh in different bhramand and get un-happy..only peace of mind you can get is from - Bhramgyan (mergin with akaal purkh)

We also did a project last year on life after death...you can download the project from http://www.sikhionline.com/powerpoint/powerpoint.htm

It has good insights on life after death. Also look at this following link as well:

http://sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness/viewtopic.php?t=1013

Enjoy :D :D

May vahiguroo give us buddhi and make us realise how important bandagi of vahiguroo is in this life :D

Thanks I will definitely try that since my mind is a bit too overactive. :)

^ I feel ya on that one.

That is one way to shut up the mind when the chatter is overwhelming...whenever i'm driving int he left late on an undivided highway and im listening to kirtan and the mind is being its normal self. I think to my self what wuold happen if i had a blowout and i sveer over to the left or if the other car ran into me... 99% of the time that works, its like a switch for the mind. The thought itself becomes the light that makes the noise of the mind dissappear and it automatically turns to kirtan.

Waheguru