Are certain names against gurmat?

Is it right for sikhs to have names like sexy or jatt or jatti with respect to GURMAT not personal opinion?  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Here here !

Sexy_Singh i think its clever User ID!

Why conform! thats so boring - grow, evolve, jump up and down with joy!

Experience the Experience, stop reading the menu eat the food !

Bruah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gurfateh

Harpreet

dhhan joban dhue vairee hoeae jinhee rakhae ra(n)g laae ||

Their wealth and youthful beauty, which gave them so much pleasure, have now become their enemies.

aagai jaath roop n jaae ||

Social status and beauty will not go with you hereafter.

ra(n)g roop ras baadh k karehi paraaneeaa ||

Pleasure, beauty and delicious tastes are useless; what are you doing, O mortal?

HERES A REALLY GOOD ONE

jis kai a(n)thar raaj abhimaan ||

One who has the pride of power within,

so narakapaathee hovath suaan ||

shall dwell in hell, and become a dog.

jo jaanai mai jobanava(n)th ||

One who deems himself to have the beauty of youth,

so hovath bisattaa kaa ja(n)th ||

shall become a maggot in manure

roop heen budhh bal heenee mohi paradhaesan dhoor thae aaee ||1||

I have no beauty, understanding or strength; I am a stranger, from far away.

kishh roop nehee kishh jaath naahee kishh dta(n)g n maeraa ||

I have no beauty, no social status, no manners

maal kai maanai roop kee sobhaa eith bidhhee janam gavaaeiaa ||1|| rehaao ||

You are wasting this life in the pride of wealth and the splendor of beauty

Gurmat can only be achieved through listening to the Guru. He has clearly and without any confusion stated the you should not take pride in beauty. That is exactly what you have done...

does the guru always speak explicity without use of metaphor or analogy. is the guru supposed to be taken literally word for word? are not not supposed to think about what you are being taught. this is called learning. the process of learning involves thinking.

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Just a small little side note to my brothers..remember when analyzing shabads we must read the whole shabad (often the entire panna) to truly garner the essence. Relying on these English translations is not always the best way..sadly many have twisted the meanings of our precious bani..I do love the flow of discussion though, thanks for sharing :)

How does the gurbani quote about pride in beauty have no relevance to the name....

his name is declaring himself sexy. If im not mistaken that would ,mean pride in his appearnace and beauty.

Therefore gurbani says

jo jaanai mai jobanava(n)th ||

One who deems himself to have the beauty of youth,

so hovath bisattaa kaa ja(n)th ||

shall become a maggot in manure

its quite simple...

^ and the other 3 shabads?

does the guru always speak explicity without use of metaphor or analogy. is the guru supposed to be taken literally word for word? are not not supposed to think about what you are being taught. this is called learning. the process of learning involves thinking.

If im not mistaken that would ,mean pride in his appearnace and beauty.

Should a Gursikh not have some 'pride' in his appearance? Not to the level where one deems himself to have the beauty of youth, but more where one does not want his appearance to be unbecoming of a Gursikh.

Relax Jassa, it's just a funny name he has chosen for himself on this forum.And stop posting idiotic English (malechh bhasha) translations of Satguru ki Bani out of context and relevance.

Sexy Singh is just being a bit quirky that's all.Nothing wrong in being quirky.Quirky is good in my book.At least I think he's being quirky.

Sexy Singh da lagda, mein thainoo dekhaava sexy kya cheez hundee!! :LOL:

Jassa, Gurbani isn't quite as straightforward and simple as you're making it out to be. there are many places where Gurbani describes the beauty of things and many places where it degrades it. the point is that you haven't found anything concrete to refute sexy_singh's user i.d. even though you might think you have.

and on another lil side-note, i think that you really need to ease up on urself. enjoy the life that God gave you. only He knows how long it's gonna last. are you gonna deprive yourself of enjoying all of God's creation? if you don't forget that this is all an illusion and temporary, there's nothing wrong with reveling in the beauty that God creates around us.

Penji i didnt mean to sound angry...

and hari veerji im sorry for using the trnslations that all i could provide at the time...you are right though, sikhi to themax often gives very suspect translations. But perhaps calling them idiotic is not the best way to describe, after all it was a big sewa by the people who made it.

and sukhi penji, thjere is nothing wrong in revelling with the beauty around us....as long as its not other peoples beauty your revelling in....

if my beliefs are too 'fanatic' or 'backward' for this topic, then i am happy..

i maintain my belief it is against gurmat to call oneself sexy, and so even though personal beliefs of the people on this board may be different theres no point in making this get any more heated

sorry to sexy_singh for gultiah on my part...i maintain my position but i think its time we agree to disagree.

if people are angry about me using bani quotes that they felt were irrelevant than i apologise for that too, as i should have checked them.

Bhull Chuk Khima

Vaheguroo Ji ka khalsa Vaheguroo Ji ki Fateh

Here is a bani quote which is certainly not out of context.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=5344

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

kaachee dhaeh moh fun baa(n)dhhee sat(h) kat(h)or kucheel kugiaanee ||

This body is frail and transitory, and bound to emotional attachment. I am foolish, stone-hearted, filthy and unwise.

dhhaavath bhramath rehan nehee paavath paarabreham kee gath nehee jaanee ||

My mind wanders and wobbles, and will not hold steady. It does not know the state of the Supreme Lord God.

joban roop maaeiaa madh maathaa bicharath bikal badda abhimaanee ||

I am intoxicated with the wine of youth, beauty and the riches of Maya. I wander around perplexed, in excessive egotistical pride

par dhhan par apavaadh naar ni(n)dhaa yeh meet(h)ee jeea maahi hithaanee ||

The wealth and women of others, arguments and slander, are sweet and dear to my soul

balaba(n)ch shhap karath oupaavaa paekhath sunath prabh a(n)tharajaamee ||

I try to hide my deception, but God, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of Hearts, sees and hears all.

seel dhharam dhayaa such naasio aaeiou saran jeea kae dhaanee ||

I have no humility, faith, compassion or purity, but I seek Your Sanctuary, O Giver of life.

kaaran karan samarathh sireedhhar raakh laehu naanak kae suaamee ||1||

The All-powerful Lord is the Cause of causes. O Lord and Master of Nanak, please save me!

Guru Arjan Dev Ji Ang 1387