Devdas

Beast

*sniff*

he died...they locked the gates.....she couldn't see him *WAILS*

*sniff*

ohh yes... that was sad... but its okay .. don't cry so much.

(on a brighter not did anyone understand some of the kinky hidden metaphors? :LOL: )

hmmm... its long since i saw that movie.. sooo

Most of my friends didn't like much because storyline was well known and it was the 3rd movie on the same novel/story. in prior to this one the role of devdas was played by great tregedy king -Dilip kumar.. and i am sure that movie will impress you more( its not that much techy.. very old).

I liked the decorations and dresses and dance sequences.. the sets are so gorgeous.. classic work.

To appriciate hindi movies, you have to have taste for it. its unfair to compare it with hollywood movies... there are huge differences..

yeah but there's no prick newhere like u beast... so what if it was a metaphor for her walkin all over u...? :LOL: just kiddin....

Actually Mugermuch, if u read between the lines she was actually complementing me. Its all abt the metaphors.

Parooooooo.........*sniff*

"To appriciate hindi movies, you have to have taste for it. its unfair to compare it with hollywood movies... there are huge differences.." - Sardu

What you mean a taste for it? I just stated the reasons why I found those particular films really rubbish. I could easily do the same for many of Steve Martin's recent turkeys, Swept Away or some tacky horror films like Chainsaw Texas Massacre (the remake) or Cabin Fever. A good film is something that appeals to all people (if not most) regardless of wether its Hindi, English, French or German. Saying that you have to have a taste for Hindi films doesn't redeem the film from being crap.

Also not necessarily does Hollywood produce good films all the time, just look at Gigli, Universal Soldier 2, Return Of The Avengers and Freddy Got Fingered...

Plus if you are insinuating that its unfair to compare because Hollywood films have larger budgets then you are mistaken. For example, the Blair Witch Project had a budget of $35,000 dollars and it brought in $248,300,000 (doesnt necessarily mean it is good!). The Godfather undoubtedly a good film only costed 7 million dollars and brought in $268,500,000. Another brilliant film, Gone With The Wind only had a budget of $3,900,000, yet raked in $390,525,192.

Wheras Devdas had a budget of 10 million dollars but only grossed a meager 7 million dollars...

BTW don't use the excuse that Hindi films are undermined by being foreign because Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Life Is Beautiful and Yi-Yi prove that language boundaries arn't a problem so as long as the film is good of course which is the real reason why (with the exception of Lagaan) Hindi films are flops world wide.

Actually Mugermuch, if u read between the lines she was actually complementing me. Its all abt the metaphors.

Parooooooo.........*sniff*

chile, u are beyond salvation as far as i am concerned... metaphors... puhlease! :LOL:

giani_g, i think u've said it best. it's not about quality, it's about quantity... wait, i think i said that wrong... it's about quality, not quantity... there we go. so yeah, just cuz a movie makes big bucks or has a massive budget doesn't ensure that it's a great movie. unfortunately, not everyone realizes that...

but imma stick to my original thing... i loved devdas... tis a great flick...

"To appriciate hindi movies, you have to have taste for it. its unfair to compare it with hollywood movies... there are huge differences.." - Sardu

What you mean a taste for it? I just stated the reasons why I found those particular films really rubbish. I could easily do the same for many of Steve Martin's recent turkeys, Swept Away or some tacky horror films like Chainsaw Texas Massacre (the remake) or Cabin Fever. A good film is something that appeals to all people (if not most) regardless of wether its Hindi, English, French or German. Saying that you have to have a taste for Hindi films doesn't redeem the film from being crap.

Also not necessarily does Hollywood produce good films all the time, just look at Gigli, Universal Soldier 2, Return Of The Avengers and Freddy Got Fingered...

Plus if you are insinuating that its unfair to compare because Hollywood films have larger budgets then you are mistaken. For example, the Blair Witch Project had a budget of $35,000 dollars and it brought in $248,300,000 (doesnt necessarily mean it is good!). The Godfather undoubtedly a good film only costed 7 million dollars and brought in $268,500,000. Another brilliant film, Gone With The Wind only had a budget of $3,900,000, yet raked in $390,525,192.

Wheras Devdas had a budget of 10 million dollars but only grossed a meager 7 million dollars...

BTW don't use the excuse that Hindi films are undermined by being foreign because Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Life Is Beautiful and Yi-Yi prove that language boundaries arn't a problem so as long as the film is good of course which is the real reason why (with the exception of Lagaan) Hindi films are flops world wide.

:shock: :shock: Friend, I think you have taken my comment too seriously. anyway, what i meant with taste was. that to appriciate bollywood movies you have to expect less technical and logical approach, you should be ready to accept some unrealistic, imaginary situations. songs are inevitable part.. no matter if it is required or not. I mean, when you see a bollywood movie don't expect that the producer/director might have done some extensive research as you may find in hollywood.

They are different in approach... in many sense. Say for instance, there is a situation where the hero express his love to the actress. in hollywood movie the next scene will be of bedroom or similer one.. while in bollywood both will go to some garden and sing a song with 10-20 unknown ppls.. its unrealistic,illogical but it is like that only... in almost every film. if one wants to enjoy the movie.. don't apply logic here.. just enjoy... Right? So likwise.. there are many aspects which make it unfair to compare hollywood and bollywood movies.

Moreover, I agree with your views on those two movies.. i felt the same. also, it wasn't comment on your comments.. i read all the views one by one.. and wrote what i had in mind. It was a casual comment, please don't take it your heart. forgive me! :D :bow:

sukhi_v, I think I understood what you said but I hope you arn't implying that I said films that makes money are good. Yeh I liked Devdas anyway

lol Sardu you're right I did take it a bit too seriously. I agree with you how Hollywood romances rely a lot on the bed room to show expressions of love. But Bollywood films are still too repetative and when they do try to be different they do it wrong and try to appeal to add sex appeal which ends up offensive (unless you're into that thing of course) good examples are Jism and Girlfriend. By the way imagine if Saving Private Ryan had musical scenes in it like Border?

Anyway this shudn't be a debate so I'll think its best to end with "whatever rocks your boat."

Oh Ho... beast ji.... menu lagda tussi Paro de ghum'ch baitey hoye ho.... ena sad hondi zaroorat hani..... mera perscription tuhadey vastey hai......... go watch Main Hoon Na.... u need some more exciting and enteretaining SRK movie (i'd suggest an Aishwarya one, but her next movie is goin to be releasing in a week or two and u need something now!) :LOL:

^ teek. As long as it stars Ashwariya and Madhuri (notice how we on first name terms).

"maar daala...allah..maar dala..allllaaaaah..maar daala....alllllaah...yeh kiske hai d-"

Man vachara Devdas - which one to go for. He messed up coz they both mates.....I wud have married them both. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:mrgreen:

Actually the real short story of Devdas is beautiful, however for commercial benefit, and trying to rake in on Aishwarya's success, Sanjay Leela Bhansali warped the the story to give her more scope as a character, cuz actually Paro doesn't have much in the short story.... she's supposed to be subordinate and quiet, not the aggressive and fiery chick she was shown to be...

Chandramukhi is the main female character in the real story... I suggest everyone watch the Dilip Kumar and I believe Vijyanthimala movie... tru adaptation.

• 2 weeks later...

no sleep no sleep no sleep no sleep no sleep no sleep no sleep

sleep no sleep no n o no s.l.e.e.p

• 4 weeks later...