Keski ????

Freed

Sketch by Kehar Singh 19th century

Taken from Marg vol XXX No.3 Homage to Amritsar June 1977

Folk paintings M S Randhawa

------------

Punjabi / Sikh ?? women

Wearing Keskis ??? or Saggi phul type adornment ?

I'll let you decide --( and avoid any mud slinging !! or accusations of being a revisionist Wahabhi !!!)

• 16 years later...

One of the 52 hukams of Dashmesh pita commands Khalsa to always keep their head covered. Also, I'll attach some sources given by AKJ, supporting Keski Rehat. 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, paapiman said:

It was prob mandatory only for Nihang women.

For me, Rehat is universal. Guru sahib didn't make any special or additional Rehat for a particular samprada in Khalsa Panth. Nihang women are warriors and the household bibis too are. If you don't wear a Dastaar, how do you expect to be called a Tyar-Bar-Tyar Sikh? 

Trimandeep Singh 

1 hour ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

For me, Rehat is universal. Guru sahib didn't make any special or additional Rehat for a particular samprada in Khalsa Panth. Nihang women are warriors and the household bibis too are.

Wasn't it clear from the topic below that it is almost impossible to follow all the Rehats? 

Bhul chuk maaf

1 hour ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

If you don't wear a Dastaar, how do you expect to be called a Tyar-Bar-Tyar Sikh? 

Similarly, it is possible that some Nihang Singhs might claim that how can you expect to be called a Tyar-Bar-Tyar Sikh, if you don't know how to do Shikaar of wild animals or do Jhakta of goats?

Both Shikaar and Jhatka are part of Sikh traditions. No one can deny that.

Bhul chuk maaf

4 hours ago, paapiman said:

Similarly, it is possible that some Nihang Singhs might claim that how can you expect to be called a Tyar-Bar-Tyar Sikh, if you don't know how to do Shikaar of wild animals or do Jhakta of goats?

Both Shikaar and Jhatka are part of Sikh traditions. No one can deny that.

Bhul chuk maaf

It seems to me, they used to spread that kind of practice and information as they travelled within the Jathas. 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:13 PM, paapiman said:

Wasn't it clear from the topic below that it is almost impossible to follow all the Rehats? 

In that 'All rehats', if you include disputed rehats of jathebandis like Sukha, Jhatka etc (not at all speaking against them) then obviously no because you can't expect every scholar or panthic aggoos and gurmukhs to agree on that. (It's a play of Maya)

Also, Sukha and Jhatka are NOT a Rehat. Rehat is a code of conduct. You may call it a Maryada or tradition. There's no HUKAM of guru sahib to do jhatka. One may do it and one may not. Noone is violating hukam of guru sahib if he/she doesn't do jhatka unless one goes out of the way criticizing Nihangs every possible way they can. 

One should try to follow all rehats which the Panth collectively agrees on.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, paapiman said:

One can keep his/her head covered without a Keski too.

By a chunni or a cloth?? It can easily be removed by some dusht but a tight dumalla can't which makes Khalsa tyar-bar-tyar. And why not keep guru sahib's gift with you all the time? 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, paapiman said:

There are countless shaheeds who were Tyar-Bar-Tyar and didn't eat any type of meat. Just to name popular ones, Sant Ji and Bhai Fauja Singh Ji. Both did shikaar of Fake Nirankaris.

Trimandeep Singh 

On 7/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, Trimandeep Singh said:

By a chunni or a cloth?? It can easily be removed by some dusht but a tight dumalla can't which makes Khalsa tyar-bar-tyar. And why not keep guru sahib's gift with you all the time? 

A Dumalla can also come off. A tight Patka (for guys) will also not come off easily from the head.

Keski is an optional Rehat. It is good to keep one.

Bhul chuk maaf

7 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

One should try to follow all rehats which the Panth collectively agrees on.

As you already know, Keski is not a Kakkar, according to the so-called Panthic Rehat Maryada.

No Jathebandi should try to force their Rehat on the entire Panth. There was a video by the Gurmat Bibek team, where the Singh listed Keski as a Kakkar. IMHO, that was not a wise thing to do. He could have said that Kesh or Keski is a Kakkar. That would have been better, as they are doing Prachar on an online platform (which is accessible to all Public).

Bhul chuk maaf

15 hours ago, paapiman said:

A Dumalla can also come off. A tight Patka (for guys) will also not come off easily off the head.

Keski is an optional Rehat. It is good to keep one

I bet a Nihang Singh's dumalla can't come off. They are the most tyar-bar-tyar of all. 

Also, patka should be discouraged because it was not given to us by Guru sahib and it leads to beadbi of kes. I have myself experienced this. When you try a knot behind, the hairs come in between the strips (taniyaan whatever you say lol) and when you remove your patka, the hairs are too removed. Daas tied a patka till 15 years but then with guru sahib's kirpa, switched to a Keski and a dumalla.

14 hours ago, paapiman said:

No Jathebandi should try to force their Rehat on the entire Panth. There was a video by the Gurmat Bibek team, where the Singh listed Keski as a Kakkar. IMHO, that was not a wise thing to do. He could have said that Kesh or Keski is a Kakkar. That would have been better, as they are doing Prachar on an online platform (which is accessible to all Public).

I completely agree with you. But AKJ doesn't enforce this on the entire Panth. They mention Keski a kakaar only in their Amrit Sanchaar Smaagams.

Most of the AKJ singhs have no problem if someone considers Kesh as kakaar because they believe that still, Keski is mandatory for a Sikh so if they are still wearing a keski all the time, then there's no violation of Rehat.

Surely Gurmat Bibek should also have explained the Sangat that Kesh is considered a kakaar by majority of Panth and then they should have stated their point of view that why they consider Keski and not Kes as a kakaar.

And FYI, I have seen some videos of Nihangs talking about the keski Rehat. They say that even though Kesh is a kakaar but still a Khalsa should always tie a dumalla on a Keski. For them, Keski is mandatory and same is the case with Taksal.

Now I don't know that according to you, it will be a recommendation or an enforcement but yes, if you follow them, then you should always support a Keski and not modern day patka.

Trimandeep Singh 

22 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Also, patka should be discouraged because it was not given to us by Guru sahib and it leads to beadbi of kes. I have myself experienced this. When you try a knot behind, the hairs come in between the strips (taniyaan whatever you say lol) and when you remove your patka, the hairs are too removed. Daas tied a patka till 15 years but then with guru sahib's kirpa, switched to a Keski and a dumalla.

Daas still wears a Patka sometimes. You have to be careful when you untie (or tie) the knot at the back. Untie the Knot slowly and then gradually take the Patka off. In this way, the hair won't be removed.

Bhul chuk maaf

22 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

For them, Keski is mandatory and same is the case with Taksal.

Nihangs probably consider Keski mandatory for Nihang women, not for the rest of the Panth.

Similarly, Keski is probably not considered mandatory by Taksaal, but highly encouraged to wear. Daas has gone for a Peshi at a Taksaali Amrit Sanchar.

Bhul chuk maaf