Placing money infront of Satguru Nanak

Hari

Should we stop doing Satguru Nanak's be-izzati by putting money infront of Him?  

4 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

I've been meaning to bring this up for quite a while.

Placing money infront of your Satguru and bowing down to your Satguru is be-izzati of your Satguru.Do you see?Or not?This goes on everyday across the world by hundreds of "Sikh" of Satguru Nanak.So called shish of Satguru Nanak place money infront Satguru and bow down.Everything is done mechanically.Put money down or in the money collection box (golak) and bow down.Satguru Nanak will not ever place His hand on your head aslong as you keep on doing His be-izzati like this again and again.His servant Sarsvati Mata (higher intellect) will not visit your house (mind).

Satguru Nanak is not a beggar that you have to place your money infront of Him.This is not what it was like in the time that the Satguru were bodily on this Mother Earth.Money or food etc. were not placed infront of the Satguru.To the side of Satguru Maharaj you had the treasurer, you would've given your money to him.How would you feel if someone placed money infront you and bowed down?

The reason why I suspect that this derogatory system of placing golak infront of Satguru is so that Gurdwara committee's can have their coffers full.They play on the sangats ignorance.They know that the ignorant sangat will keep on placing money infront of Satguru because they think they will get bakshsish from Satguru.Nothing could be further from the truth.They will get no bakshish if they keep on treating Satguru as a beggar.Yes, the Gurdhaam needs money for upkeep etc. but that money should not be placed infront of Satguru Nanak.

Great post veer ji,

In Nanaksar Gurdwaras there is no galok and people are discouraged to put money infront of Satguru.

I seriously think galok should be in langar hall or something where people donate money.

I know that Gurdwara committee types will not listen this message, but I hope that future generations of Satguru Nanak Dev Ji's Shish will think about this.I strongly urge that if persons out there still put money infront of Maharaj, that they stop doing so.

I agree N30, the golak/toshi khana should be placed away from Maharaj.Langar hall is a good idea.

Very enlightening post Hari..I didnt understand some things in the Nanaksar maryada..mostly because a lot of people were quick to criticise them without thinking which made me doubt a lot of it..even though Nanaksar is very close to my heart..this post has really made me think..Baba Nand Singh Ji truly respected Satguru Ji..I think only in Nanaksar Gurughar is the money not put in front of Maharaj..

Interesting point

It seems to me almost a christian thing, collecting money the way it is, so I'm guessing this idea was implemented during British rule in India. Is this right?

I remember recently being told how flowers used to laid down in front so people could walk away with a sweet cent, personally this makes much more sense to me....

The golak was introduced by Guru Arjan Dev Jee.

The story that i have been told, was that Guru jee had left the darbar and gone to meet the sangat at Harminder Sahib.

When he had left someone had placed a white sheet were Guru Jee was sitting and told the sangat to place their donations here.

On Guru Jee's return, he saw what the sangat was doing and asked he had told them to this. When he found out who it was he told them that what he had done was extremely wrong. He had said that i collected the donations for you.

Guru Jee said I do not need or what the donations collected from the sangat for my personal use. Donate the money equally to the sangat and buy provisions for the Langar kana.

Guru Jee then decided upon having a golak to collect donations for the Langar Kana and sangat.

Following Guru Arjan Dev Jee the Guru's used the golak to fund different projects.

Great post veer ji,

In Nanaksar Gurdwaras there is no galok and people are discouraged to put money infront of Satguru.

I seriously think galok should be in langar hall or something where people donate money.

Hey ive also noticed that. But some people in my local Nanaksar Gurdwara still put money down.

Its clever. I think the positioning of the golak is to emotionally blackmail the devotee into thinking that if they dont place money infront of the guru, the guru will somehow banish them to hell.

Clever granthis.

funny you point that out, cuz i've felt the same guilt...sometimes i just go and sit at the Gurudwara without placing money in the Golak, and a thought itn he back of my head feels a sense of guilt.

i feel kinda odd cuz i've never really felt any guilt when i don't put money in the golak. mebbe it's cuz i've been raised to believe that you can't bargain for blessings with anything, whether it be money, promises, your life or anything else. i've never seen putting money in the golak as completely wrong either as long as you remember that you're not buying bakshish.

on the other hand, i find that sometimes when you put money into the golak, it's a good reminder of the importance of recognizing the source of your "laxmi" (wealth and prosperity). when you put money in the golak, how many of us think "oh look, I am puttin money in there. it's MY money." and then you walk off and you realize that your severely mistaken about the true ownership of the wealth in your life...

but there's this part of me that fails to understand why the money is put into the golak in front of Guru Sahib if it has no religious or spiritual significance and is gonna be used for purposes of Gurudwara upkeep, langar and tha sorta thing. in my opinion, it's kinda messed to think of the money bein "purified" by bein in the presence of the Guru if tha's what it's really about.

how bout we get someone to go to a nice granthi and ask them the significance of puttin money in the golak and the golak bein placed in front of SGGS ji.

Yes I agree it is quite disrespectful to put golak infront of Maharaaj. I think the committee quite strategically used this tactic so they make the devotee feel shame if he doesn't put somethign in the golak while sangat's eyes are on him/her.

Also isn't it disrespectful to place money in front of Kirtanees while they are doing Kirtan?

so true. if the money really is for the gurudwaras upkeep, why dont they stop taking donations after they have broke-even?? i.e. paid all the bills.

obviously these green card hungry chimps just want mo cheese i.e. money.

and thats why we dont see projects to serve the homeless or hungry..or indeed any youth projects..instead the money goes towards brand new mercs or extended kitchens

This is for those who still don't get it.You touch the feet of your family elders right?Your grandparents etc.Now, would you place money infront of your respected elders and then touch their feet??Would you treat your respected elders as beggars?Ofcourse you wouldn't.Then why treat your Satguru, who is the King of kings as a beggar.A Satguru has no need for His shish's money.

When infront of Satguru Nanak, it is you who is the beggar, not the other way round.The Satguru gives and you receive, not the other way around.