Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This was sent to the egroup of the Gurudwara here...

hope that helps :)

----------

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa |

WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh ||

There are four types of Bani as follows:

1. Baikhari Bani: WaheGuru WaheGuru is repeated with

tongue and lips.

2. Madhama Bani: WaheGuru WaheGuru is repeated in

"kanth" without movement of tongue and lips. Reward is

10 times more than #1.

3. Pasanti Bani: WaheGuru WaheGuru is repeated in

"hirda" which is without movement of tongue and lips.

Reward is 100 times more than #1. Gurbani says " Har

jan simro hirde raam".

4. Pra Bani: WaheGuru WaheGuru is repeated in "nabhi"

which is cluster of veins from foot to the head.

Reward is 1000 times more than #1 i.e. saying WaheGuru

one time in this stage is equivalent to saying

WaheGuru 1000 times in Baikhari Bani. Gurbani says "

Gurmukh rome rome har dhiave". There are about 35

million pores in the body and every pore says

WaheGuru.

After these four bani, there is "anhad shabad". There

are different "chakars" on the way to reach WaheGuru.

1. Agiya Chakar: It is a place where eyes and nose

meet. When one concentrates "birti" here, the light

can be seen and sound can be heard from inside.

2. Trikuti Chakar: When one concentrates "birti" at

this place, more light (like one sun's light) can be

seen and sweet dim sound can be heard.

3. Dasam Duar: When one concentrates "birti" here,

more light (like many suns'light) and very sweet dim

sound can be heard. Gurbani says "nau darvaje kaya

koat hai, dasve gupat rakhije"

After dasam duar one reaches "manjale makhsood" and

that is the goal. Gurbani says " roop na rekh na rang

kitch traigun te prabh bhin, tisai bujhai nanaka jis

hovai suparshan".

LESSON LEARNT:

There is long path to reach WaheGuru. One must start

from step 1 i.e. Baikhari Bani and keep on moving up.

It takes lot of "kamai". It may take many years and

sometimes more than one "janam" to reach WaheGuru. One

should not stop and must keep moving on the long path

to reach WaheGuru.

Guest kaur1699

loads of good info there....

neva knew this...

Reward is 100 times more than #1. Gurbani says " Har

jan simro hirde raam".

Reward is 1000 times more than #1 i.e. saying WaheGuru

one time in this stage is equivalent to saying

WaheGuru 1000 times in Baikhari Bani. Gurbani says "

Gurmukh rome rome har dhiave".

wjkk,wjkf

i don't like the idea of stating a supremacy of doing simran in one way over another; prehaps my ignorance is my down fall but do any of my fellow brothers & sisters ever wonder even if in our time of doing simran that we ever said 'waheguru' correctly even once? :shock: not just the pronounciation but putting our soul into it, not letting it be an empty attempt?

forgive me for going off the point, no offence intended to anyone.

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ke fateh

I have limited knowledge of simran. i guess those who have done a bit of simran and when I say done a bit it does not mean the odd vaheguru here or there will be the best people to comment on such a topic as have already been quoted from citations comming from the life of Sant Attar Singh etc.

Please take time to read the below it may take long butI believe it useful to the discussion. It is from Baba Wirsa Singh in Delhi. The first time I read his literature it touched me greatly. Please take a look. its from www.gobindsadan.org

Meditation

Meditation is magnificent power. With meditation, you gain the desire to serve and the ability to attain; you develop compassion, fearlessness, divine wisdom, renunciation, love, and freedom from the cycle of births and deaths. Meditation allows us to meet with the King of our spirit.

To meditate is to become deeply silent, to keep listening, listening, listening to God. To listen is to become lost in God, perceiving God in all of creation. Then one is merged with the Great Reality. No worldly pleasure can compare with the sweetness of this communion.

There are many yogic postures and methods of meditation, but even by practicing them you cannot attain God unless you feel the longing of love. God is Love, and God is too great for any method. It is God who pulls us to meditate, and it is God who teaches us how to love Him.

The only method of meditation that works is to offer God constant love. At first, continually focus all your scattered attention on whatever form of God you worship—your Isht, such as Jesus, Krishna, Siva, Durga, or Gurus. And because it is the nature of the mind to wander, we can concentrate on God by repeating God's Name. The energy which is scattered among all our weaknesses will be collected; negative thoughts will disappear and truth will be revealed in our mind.

The more we meditate, brining the attention back again and again, the sooner it will return to its Home. Once it comes back Home, it will listen and it will rest. Then there will be only peace. Begin like this, and then God will show you the way. Make no demands, except for One: "Oh God, make me as You want me to be."

Early in the morning, when you first arise, thank God and do a little bit of meditation. Go deep inside, concentrating all your awareness on God. Then the whole day your mind will be concentrating on God; nothing will bother you. As you love God and practice meditation, you weaknesses and bad habits will be driven out, and love and truth will be revealed, as if dust were being cleaned from a mirror.

In deep meditation, your awareness of yourself ceases. You are unaware of the passing of time, and you do not become tired. Your breathing diminishes. People may be beating drums or shouting around you, but you will not hear anything. You soul rises above the body; it maintains just enough connection to keep you alive.

Over time, very gradually, the inner light, divine wisdom, vision, and truth will awaken in you. Your Isht will enter your heart and start loving and talking to you. As the Sikh Gurus say, "sometimes you laugh, sometimes you cry, and sometimes you become silent, but you care for no one except God." You will become detached from worldly things, for you are always connected with the Truth. You will not care if people are looking at you or laughing at you for you are looking only at God, absorbed in the bliss of God's Love.

As you continually look toward God, your state of mind will keep changing. Eventually your Isht will disappear, and you will see only God everywhere. You will recognize that everything is happening according to God's orders. God will speak to you in the form of light and be visible everywhere as light.

Then you will not need to sit in meditation with your eyes closed in order to be aware of God. You will be joined with God at all times. Whether you are walking, eating, or talking to someone. You will truly feel, "Tohi mohi, mohi Tohi" (You are me, and I am You). You will remain in the word, doing your worldly duties, and you will be always happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naam

Nam is like an ocean; service and charity are like streams. We are seeking something small, but with the help of Nam, oceans of priceless jewels await us.

Reciting Nam (God's Name) is a way of thanking and praising the Nam—the omnipresent, timeless Creator. It is a path to God for everybody. When you recite Nam and love God without any motives, God will cleanse your mind, there will be great light in your heart, and your whole family will be blessed. Nam will heal your mind, eliminating all negative thoughts; only positive thoughts will remain. The hidden joy and love and fearlessness in you will become manifest.

Actually, it is not that God wants our praises. The effect of Nam works on us. Our body is just a house where we live. Our life is governed by our karmas—the effects on our life of our sanskars, our habitual thoughts and actions from this life and from previous births. Our karmas are like great waves which are not under our control. Nam breaks those waves.

As we recite Nam—with our tongue, with our mind, with every breath—those waves start to break here and there. You may be worrying as usual—"What will happen?"—but as you recite Nam there is a small break in that train of thought. You feel, "It will be okay." But at this stage you are still reciting Nam only with your tongue. Your thoughts and awareness are not on Nam, and your mind returns to it's old patterns.

As you go on reciting Nam, you will experience a little light inside, a brief moment of samadhi (spiritual absorption). But then the mind starts running away again with great speed, and the little bit of light disappears. Then longing for God may begin to grow in you, although it is very faint at first. As you are singing or reciting Nam, you may experience a brief communion with the Nami.

To become closer to God, you should focus on your Isht, that form of God in whom you have faith. At first, the Isht is just a theory in your mind, but gradually it's presence becomes a reality. Slowly that Power gives confidence to your mind and you begin loving that Isht on whom you are trying to concentrate your attention. It takes a long time, but gradually you will feel the presence of your Isht within you.

Once you feel your Isht inside you, through the power of Nam, you will begin to see that your Isht is controlling everything outside you as well. You will see your Isht pervading everywhere.

As you keep on chanting Nam, whenever you begin to feel anger or greed or ego, the feeling does not last inside—it moves aside. Why? Nam is washing away the dirt of your past tendencies; the light of divine wisdom is burning up your past actions. Gradually, you cease to feel anger or greed, and you feel that you are nothing great. You become very humble.

All ignorance ceases as the light of Nam manifests fully. If you reach this stage of enlightenment through continual recitation of Nam and concentration on the Nami, you will see only God everywhere. Like God, you will feel neither enmity nor fear. You will recognize that it is the Nami who is sustaining and controlling all of life. Nam will make your actions bright and will give you clear inner vision, truthfulness, renunciation, desire to help the needy, and the power to do anything, for the Power of the Nami has manifested in you.

• 13 years later...