Bhai Nirmal Singh Ji Raagi

SAadmin

Guest SAdmin

I think singh who plays tabla with Bhai Nirmal Singh Khalsa is brother of "Vadali brothers"? So, if it is true then music runs in their veins. It is an amazing combination of good raagi and tabla player. I like Tabla player of Bhai Jasbir Singh Paunta Sahib Waale as well.

It is shame that most of the "Kirtaniye" have tabla players who cannot play more than four taals. Kehrva, Daadra and teen taal are the three taals they know and rest is mystery but recently the trend is changing and good tabla players are coming forward.

Bhai Nirmal Singh ji Raagi is ex Hazoori Raagi Sri Darbar Sahib. He is shagirad of Ustad Ghulam Ali khan and as such his Keertan is on pure classical reets & as per Gurmat Sangeet Traditions. The one who sits along Bhai Nirmal Singh (with side Harmonium) has very sweet deep voice and gives more Aatam-Ras to the hearers. Bhai Gurmej Singh Ji, another ex hazoori Raagi is also a Great great Keertankaar as per Gurmat traditions. Presently, Bhai Narinder Singh ji Banaras Wale, Hazoori Raagi, is another great Gurbani Keertankaar pillar, to whom when someone listens, knows the deepness of Gurbani keertan.

Guest SAdmin

Chinnderpal Singh,

Thanks! for sharing this information with us. I think there should be one section on our site where we provide whole details about known good raagis. I forgot Bhai sahib's name he was in Malaysia I guess Bhai Rajinder Singh Jee? And he has wonderful kirtan style. I think he died long time ago but still Raagis copy him.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two Ghulam Ali Khans; one expired Ustad Barhe Ghulam Ali Khan of Patiala Gharana whose thumris & raagas are of a untouchable style. The other is great Ghazal Gayak from Pakistan, Ustad Ghulam Ali Khan (Chupke Chupke & Hangama etc are his best known/heard ghazals) , this Gayak took raaga education from Ustad Barkat Ali Khan, the elder brother of the first above i.e. Ustad Barhe Ghulam Ali Khan. Our favourite raagi, Bhai Nirmal Singhji, is (Ganda- banh ) i.e. traditional styled shagird of the Ghazal Gayak Ustad Ghulam Ali Khan, but the style is similar to first Barhe Ghulam Ali Khan. If we hear the Thumris, raagas (Darbari specially) of Ustad Barhe Ghulam Ali Khan and therafter the Ghazals/thumris of the 2nd Ghulam Ali Khan we will observe that they have almost the same style & originality in the gayaki. Further the Gurbani Gayan by Bhai Nirmal Singh ji has maximum touching & impression of both of the above Ghulam Ali Khans.