Sikh Khanda

• 5 months later...

From my knowledge the khanda originaly was just a double edge sword, the Khanda you see nower days with the chakar, the chakar was added after the Singh Sahba movement. But i have also heard that the Khanda the nihungs wear on their dumalas is the original one. but i have also heard that we as sikhs dont really have a symbol as such.

I too am curious if anyone can let me know what really is the truth. the comments i have posted is what i have heard from others so i could be wrong.

The Khanda that we see today in our community isn't a 20 century design, and it hasnt really got a DIRECT link to the Ardhanarishvara.

the present symbol in a "nut shell" dates from around Pre 18 century, during the misl period.

i havent really got my notes at hand, but the symbol is from the most strongest misl...which was Maharaja Runjeet singhs.

we as sikhs have more than 1 symbol to represent us.

I have for example seen Sikh Flags with a Peacocks, Lotus, Axe & snake, Bow & Arrow and various other designs.

I am sure if u pester some of the senior lads in Nidar Singhs Akhara, or just wait a few month still his book comes out, your question will be answered in detail.

One of my known onw saying that orignal Khanda is same which we have on Nishan Sahib

"kelari" u want to say that today khanda is derived from "Ardhanarishvara"

I have saerched on net it say Khanda got 5 weapons combination showing it off in well placed manner any idea about it