Ardaas

Question that i've had in mind for sometime, i'd like to hear the views of your learned selves..

Does an Ardaas have any influence on what Mahraj has decided?

We're told everything happens for a reason and that God has a plan for us all. Yet we often wish things would work out differently and do Ardaas to that effect.

Do you think Mahraj takes the ardaas of a normal person (not a Mahapurakh) into consideration and hear everyone pleading their case?

Or is Mahraj more like the parent who isnt going to give their child anymore sweets because they've decided that you've had enough, no matter how much you beg and promise to be good? (of course thats not out of spite, more out of concern).

Personally i kinda subscribe to the latter. What do you guys think?

An ardas can have an effect for you as an individual but it does not effect maharaj. In my view maharaj has not decided, or will not, or is not deciding anything he just is. He can do anything he wills. Maharaj in his immanent aspect is the source of everything that will ever happen, has happened, and is happening, in an unmanifest form, like the plant that grows from a seed, is contained in the seed before it grows. Us and the world has sprouted from maharaj, it is a part of him, he is part of us, so, we can do ardas for something we want or for someone else, but this is happening within maharaj's hukam. If an individual feels he needs to do ardas he can do it, and for him it may come to fruitiion and from his view it will have been fufilled, this is hukam, if it is not fulfilled, it is hukam, if he doesn't bother doing ardas, it is hukam.

On a more mundane level, I think ardas is psychological. If someone is scared of exams, they do an ardas, this makes them feel as though God is with them, gives them confidence, and God is really with them.

• 4 months later...

Ardass can influence the Guru. When a child makes a benti to their parent, it can change the parents decided course of action. However, it is still up to the parent. Also, make sure you do your ardass with a focused mind and sharda(faith).

Ardass is simply prayer, it comes from the heart and their is no script, hence no prerecorded audio. If you mean the panthic ardass (when everyone in the Gurdwara stands up to pray), then that is a more formalised ardass. You can probably find an audio of that on proudtobesikh.com.

btw, the above answer is right, it is within Hukum, but you have misunderstood the concept.

In my opinion, if ardas is done with absolute sincerity from the bottom of one's heart how can Guru Jee Maharaj refuse such a pure benti. But, a BIG but, is such a pure supplication is very rare. Most people don't know what they want because their view is limited to sansar, to externality, so they in fact are controlled by maya. This is not bad, most people like to live like this. Views and desires are implanted within their mind from outside, and so ardas would be for these people superficial - e.g. i'd like a top of the range car, because people will look at me and recognise me. If this class of person really wants a new car, if he is 100% materialistic then Guru Jee will give him or find ways to give him this brand spanking new car. The same with spiritual ardas, if the individual still harbours desires of more, money, recognition etc. His spiritual based ardas is not pure because he still wants things, still attached to things.

Also most people do not have one pointed concentration when they do ardas they probably think of a million other things, this diffuses the strength of ardas. Ardas supplemented in times of emotional distress, becomes stronger because the person forgets everything and focuses everything on the ardas. There are stories of mother's whose children have been trapped under cars who miraculously had the strength to lift the car and get the child out. How do you think they got that strength - Ardas - the mothers love for her son, caused her to forget everything and focus everything on an Ardas to Guru Je Maharaj to save her Behtaa.

We're told everything happens for a reason and that God has a plan for us all. Yet we often wish things would work out differently and do Ardaas to that effect.

Guru Jee say's that in all occurences we have in life good or bad, emotionally distressing or uplifting, we should keep balance of mind and not let ourselves be caught on the wave of emotion. In my opinion you have to accept things as they come just do ardas to be blessed to be able to keep the name of god on your lips no matter what comes.

"To pray successfully you must have clearly defined objectives.

You must know what you want before you can ask for it.

You must know what you want before you can feel that you have it,

and prayer is the feeling of fulfilled desire.

"It does not matter what it is you seek in prayer, or where it is,

or whom it concerns. You have nothing to do but convince yourself

of the truth of that which you desire to see manifested.

When you emerge from prayer you no longer seek, for you have --

if you have prayed correctly - subconsciously assumed the reality

of the state sought, and by the law of reversibility your

subconscious assumption must objectify that which it affirms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Prayer is the most wonderful experience man can have. Unlike the

daily murmurings of the vast majority of mankind in all lands who

by their vain repetitions hope to gain the ear of God, prayer is

the ecstasy of a spiritual wedding taking place in the deep,

silent stillness of consciousness."

---

"Praying, then, is recognizing yourself to be that which you desire

to be rather than begging God for that which you desire."

----

"If your prayer brings no response, there is something wrong with

it. The fault generally lies in too much effort. Serious confusion

arises when man identifies the state of prayer with an act of will.

The sovereign rule is to make no effort. If this is observed, you

will intuitively fall into the right attitude."

---

"It is not what you want that you attract;

you attract what you believe to be true."

- Neville