Bald Patch Forming Under Beard (Alopecia)

Sat1176

I recently discovered that I have a massive bald patch forming on the left side of face under my dhari. It extends all the way down below the jaw and under the chin. Isn't too noticeable yet as the rest of the dhari covers it. If it continues to spread it could become very noticeable. I think tying it up all these years and use of gels and strong hair sprays has made the dhari very dry.

Any suggestions?

The condition is called Alopecia Barbae but I haven't found any good remedies yet.

There is an expensive over the counter product called Regaine which I went and bought over the weekend only to read this morning that it shouldn't be used for beards. Still might use it for a bit just to see if it stimulates growth again.

http://regaine.evershop.co.uk/blog/using-regaine-to-grow-a-beard/

Edited by Sat1176

Make a paste of Aloe Vera fresh extract not the one you get int stores , neem leaves and add it to curds ..apply this pack to your beard and keep it for an hour or more if you can.

Neem is disinfectant , aloe vera is healing and curds is conditioner . You can apply the pack twice a week i believe .

I too would say aloe vera & neem....Problem with jasmine/olive oils is that they can affect your skin by clogging sweat pores on your cheeks..this results in acne type/ redness/rosacea.... reactions.

As for regaine/rogaine..it is a chemical that can sometimes work for male pattern balness on scalp..but it works best by preventing further hair loss more than replenishing.

I would stick to the natural/ayuverdic applications and even try a little bit of that dabur Amla hair oil as well from apney stores.

Edited by Lucky

Yea it could be due to dryness. in which ^ above solutions sound good.
But in my experience with bald spots it has been due to tension or physical pressure.

If you itch or pull in that one area a lot. like while you are reading, if you continuously stroke that part of your beard or hair. Then you will develop a bald spot. The solution is then to not touch your beard or to stroke the entire beard rather than just 1 part.

Do you tie up your beard immediately after washing it?

Edited by BhagatSingh

I recently discovered that I have a massive bold patch forming on the left side of face under my dhari. It extends all the way down below the jaw and under the chin. Isn't too noticeable yet as the rest of the dhari covers it. If it continues to spread it could become very noticeable. I think tying it up all these years and use of gels and strong hair sprays has made the dhari very dry.

Any suggestions?

The condition is called Alopecia Barbae but I haven't found any good remedies yet.

There is an expensive over the counter product called Regaine which I went and bought over the weekend only to read this morning that it shouldn't be used for beards. Still might use it for a bit just to see if it stimulates growth again.

http://regaine.evershop.co.uk/blog/using-regaine-to-grow-a-beard/

Bro, check with the doctor too; to be on the safe side.

Bhul chuk maaf

Yea it could be due to dryness. in which ^ above solutions sound good.
But in my experience with bald spots it has been due to tension or physical pressure.

If you itch or pull in that one area a lot. like while you are reading, if you continuously stroke that part of your beard or hair. Then you will develop a bald spot. The solution is then to not touch your beard or to stroke the entire beard rather than just 1 part.

Do you tie up your beard immediately after washing it?

I do wet it to apply gel etc, then blow dry using a thuthee, otherwise it's really frizzy.

No I don't play with my beard.

i have been under quite a bit of mental tension for past year or so. Hope you didn't mean tension as in tying it too tight, which maybe also a possibility.

Edited by Sat1176

I mean physical tension. Mental tension will cause overall hair loss. But physical tension will cause hair loss where the tension is being applied.

Yes tying it tightly will lead to hair loss, because the hair follicle is in tension, under pressure - it's being pulled.

How long do you keep your beard tied per day?

12-14 hours! Holy!
Oh man!
that's it dude!
You are tying it tightly and for too long. Tight beard should be a several hours max!

My advice would be to spare the gel and the tying. And stick to open beard and lots of moisturizing to nurture the skin back to health.
I am not saying to stop tying forever, only temporarily. You have to stop in order to give the beard a rest, so it can grow back. Or to prevent other parts from going bald.

How do you tie your beard? your preferred method?

Edited by BhagatSingh

Dude some of us have to work full time so 12 hours tied up it not uncommon. Yes when you get home and want to relax you can undo it.

So here are some photos of what I'm dealing with.

20150728_081110.thumb.jpg.8004d5bdbbb9a8

20150728_081342.thumb.jpg.e943e66e87923f

20150728_082653.thumb.jpg.5df5f8b68af44f

20150728_085603.thumb.jpg.250522f9325687

I just twist it then fold it up and use few hair pins to hold it all in place.

20150728_085552.thumb.jpg.393384d03510a1

Edited by Sat1176

I know a few Singhs this has happened to... you have a few options (as they were told)

It's the tension that causes it... not all at once but over time.  The way your  are twisting it, is putting the most stress on that area (that is where it's pulling the tightest) and this pulling over time damages the follicles. The damamge might not be reversible now, but you can prevent more loss from happening by either wearing your beard open, or tying it differently, and looser.  Try twisting the opposite direction or alternating if you must.  And if it doesn't grow back after lessening the stress on that area, then you can look into transplanting some follicles to help get some growth back there.  Things like rogaine work on the head and only work on loss caused by hormones etc.  Traction allopecia is different... btw it can also happen if your joora is too tight - even Singhnis can experience it if the joora is too tight under the turban (it's not the turban itself but how tight your joora is tied that causes it).

5. Keep Your Facial Hair in Good Condition

Once you have grown your beard, keeping it in top condition will prevent the need to trim if off and start again. Castor oil is a great conditioning treatment that promotes hair growth, and will keep your beard moving in the right direction. Apply castor oil at night before you go to bed (a towel will help prevent staining), and wash off in the morning. Keep this ritual daily until the hair shows successful growth, and then move to a weekly régime.

http://www.malestandard.com/how-to-make-your-beard-grow-faster/

I think that rotating the twists would be reasonable but you want to use some strengthening or even softening(because there will be less torque then) products.

I'm not sure if you have a "beardbrand store" there in UK.. but I came to hear of them from the ''sharktank' tv show..http://www.beardbrand.com/

I got to sample the 'tree ranger softener'....and I was impressed.

worth a look and it is getting popular because of the full beard fashion we have here

Edited by Lucky

I think that rotating the twists would be reasonable but you want to use some strengthening or even softening(because there will be less torque then) products.

I'm not sure if you have a "beardbrand store" there in UK.. but I came to hear of them from the ''sharktank' tv show..http://www.beardbrand.com/

I got to sample the 'tree ranger softener'....and I was impressed.

worth a look and it is getting popular because of the full beard fashion we have here

This is their UK site: http://www.beardbrand.co.uk/

Ordered some of this expensive oil. Dhari needs some TLC. ;-)

Edited by Sat1176

Sounds like I need to find some new ways of tying it up. Any known techniques?

Before anyone starts I'm not really interested in debates about why I'm tying it in the first place. It's just my personal preference.

Dude some of us have to work full time so 12 hours tied up it not uncommon. Yes when you get home and want to relax you can undo it.

Oh Singh. I wasn't coming from that angle. I don't care if you tie it or not. I personally like styling my beard. So it's all good.

I do wish that your wound heals, so the best thing I know is to temporarily stop tying it. This is the fastest way to healing it.

Your technique seems fine to me, you just need to loosen it a bit BUT only after it heals!

Can you do that until it grows back?

or is it mandatory for you to tie it?

Ps maja aa geya, ajj tuhade darshan vi ho gaye!

Edited by BhagatSingh

Singh! I got it!

I just remembered this method -

Version 1
1. Part your beard at the center of the chin
2.  Comb the two parts backwards, ie up the sides of your face, you want to defy gravity! lol Comb it all up
3. grab the two groups of hair, one by each hand and wrap these hair into your joorha, as you do your joorha
4. take any loose hair and tuck into joorha
5. after tying turban, use a silai to tuck the rest

Version 2 with net
If needed, wear a net to keep loose hair in place. also works with Short beards! (those that cannot do V1 properly)
5. put net over beard
6. tie the ends on the joorha
7. put on turban after all this

If needed, hair fixer can be applied with thathi over the beard in V1 or over the net in V2.
because the net has holes for the beard to poke through, so you can gel that part up.

This method should ideally place 0 stress on the hair follicle. My grandfather did this with the net and Simco fixer and he looked pretty badass while wearing this style ;)

Here's a pic of what it should look like -
usa-sikh_1.jpg

Edited by BhagatSingh

Let me know if that works, my father used a different style which does add some stress to the hair follicles but it adds it very differently to your method. But I think if the above works for you, then that's perfect.

So after you beard heals, you can rotate 2-3 styles, all of which will help you keep it healthy.

Good luck. Do keep us updated!