The 5 khands in Sri Japuji Sahib

Gurfateh all

Lets do some khoj on the five khands of the Sri Japju Sahib.

What are they representing? 5 spiritual stages or 5 worlds beyond in the afterlife?

What is the reason they are only mentioned in the Sri Japuji Sahib and not in the remaining 1422 angs?

What does the various samprdayas and scholars of the present and past say about these 5 khands?

One can relate to five khands as part of their spiritual meditative experience as they spiritually evolve for eg- gyan khand - gyan khand mein gyan parchand - meaning- awakening of one's pure cognition (perception) of divine knowledge- feeling/pure spontaneous knowningness such as divine insights usually appears in spacious meditative state which points towards underlying essence reality of all-everything and everyone.

On 1/31/2016 at 8:03 AM, GurpreetKaur said:

Thank you for creating this topic, To me they are spiritual, if I am on the same page. 

Dharam khand : First stage( realization) when we get into bhagti or start reading Gurbani. we start thinking about Salvation or Nirvana. Example: Reading Gurbani, doing any ritual to show devotion. For me, this stage was or is reading Sukhmani sahib ji. Just reading it to find peace, did not know the meaning, was not following it, merely reading it. some things I heard were oh by reading Gurbani, you won't gain anything but Maskeen ji said many people start here. They read Gurbani or do jaap to get their wishes fulfilled and eventually kundalini start rising up and they start developing love.

Gyan Khand: second stage ( practicing) , when we instead of just reading Gurbani, we start practicing it. We bring it into our Day to day lives. Example: becoming Sukhmani sahib ji, try to do what it says whether it's talking about Doing Naam Simran or meditation, getting rid of rajo, tamo, sato or not doing what to others which we don't want happen to us. Acknowledging our Ego and realizing how its trippin most of the time lol. Gaining humility, humbleness, letting go of selfish nature and other vices.

Saram Khand: Third stage( Effort),  we start working hard to achieve the main objective of life which is to get rid of this life/death cycle. We have love for Vaheguroo and guroo, regardless of whether we are in comfort or not, or whether our wishes are or will be fulfilled. I am listening to Maskeen ji ( brahmand di alolak katha) while typing this and he just said birds are returning home and they are chirping singing and are content, they don't care about whether they have food for tomorrow or not. This kinda resonate with this Khand, there is no worry about tomorrow, surrendering to creator and making an effort to merge with it.

Next two Khands are for advanced people. There are some people over here who know them or have glimpse of them. I am a bad candidate to even talk about them lol

Karam Khand: Our bajjar kapats( divine door) are opened,panj doots are controlled, maya is showing its full power to tackle seeker on this stage, dasam duar is opened, rom rom naam simran and connection to creator is created.

Sach Khand: Stage of Truth. Salvation. 

As my first read Gurbani was Sukhmani sahib , i can relate to what you say . Very well explained indeed .

Lucky ji, Thank you for explaining it but I don't understand being in 100% Gurmat? I don't know what is Gurmat, there are two type of categories I am seeing which can prolly participate in Gurmat. I will go with an example so I don't offend anybody and still can learn.

Let's say I am just walking and out of nowhere someone came and that person slapped me, now I have two options. One to slap back so that person knows I am not weak and second option is to smile at that person and walk away( hardest one to be honest). If I don't slap back, I just feel like I did not let my krodh control me but I might get an Ego boost saying See, I did it. What I did was hard. But I have done it. 

Second option is to slap back but then my krodh controlled me and my Ego stayed there too. If I won to scare off that person then my Ego will kick in and say man I m strong lol I think I went off track, I always do lol

Okay, So being in Gurmat means to Follow what Dhan Guru Amardas ji did while being kicked by Bhai Dattu and not hitting back OR what most of the Sikhs people will say that we are Saint soldiers and will never bow down. 

I see a huge difference between the teaching of Guru Amardas ji and 10th Master. So, I am never sure what exactly is Gurmat?

Thank you for explaining, if my question is too stupid you can Ignore I won't mind lol

np,  Gur-mat is using guru's mat as per gurbani, compared to man-mat, which is mind's mat(wisdom). What you are pointing towards is a different topic from this, and it's about difference between krodh and bir-ras. The 10th master fought against oppression and righteous truth. This is done with love and not anger. Gur-mat is completely free of mind's 5 dhuts and no ego comes into play as in Bhai kanaya ji event in battlefield of seeing satguru within everyone. The 10th master bir ras approach is practiced with it's roots in spirituality. In the example you gave, there is no slapping back as per gurmat. But at our level and in this day and age, you would say "waheguru" and talk to the offender to calm their krodh instead. Bring the other's krodh down instead of mirroring their actions!  If you are spending more hours per day doing internal waheguru sift salah, then you will automatically be conducting yourself in sehaj. In sehaj, it is very difficult for someone to invoke krodh in you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/6/2016 at 5:26 AM, GurpreetKaur said:

Lucky ji, Thank you for explaining it but I don't understand being in 100% Gurmat? I don't know what is Gurmat, there are two type of categories I am seeing which can prolly participate in Gurmat. I will go with an example so I don't offend anybody and still can learn.

Let's say I am just walking and out of nowhere someone came and that person slapped me, now I have two options. One to slap back so that person knows I am not weak and second option is to smile at that person and walk away( hardest one to be honest). If I don't slap back, I just feel like I did not let my krodh control me but I might get an Ego boost saying See, I did it. What I did was hard. But I have done it. 

Second option is to slap back but then my krodh controlled me and my Ego stayed there too. If I won to scare off that person then my Ego will kick in and say man I m strong lol I think I went off track, I always do lol

Okay, So being in Gurmat means to Follow what Dhan Guru Amardas ji did while being kicked by Bhai Dattu and not hitting back OR what most of the Sikhs people will say that we are Saint soldiers and will never bow down. 

I see a huge difference between the teaching of Guru Amardas ji and 10th Master. So, I am never sure what exactly is Gurmat?

Thank you for explaining, if my question is too stupid you can Ignore I won't mind lol

Though I see its been years since u have posted this and probably by now u may have soared on higher levels, but just that I had similar thoughts initially.. so I thought I would in any case put my observations here... 

1. Wat Guru Amardas Sahib did or wat Guru Arjan Dev ji preached is the right path. N yes if u feel little proud on doing it. Its o.k. be proud on being a sikh. Not Egoistic but Proud of being "Guru di dhee " Sacrifice is a part of sikhi

2. As for Guru Gobind Singh ji My Master-  just look at it again.. He sacrificed ALL HE HAD. " SARBANS DAANI. "  wat did he fight for -Other's good. Not for self. So fid Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib. Sikhs are only made for 1. simran ( Waheguru di seva)   2. Seva (manavta di seva)

Thas wat is Gurmat as per my understanding.  Pls forgive n correct me as I m pretty moorakh ..n new to this forum

WJKKWJKF ji