Do you FEEL your Paath ?

This question may have been asked before, but I am new here, please forgive me if it has!

I'm curious to see how many people actually feel connected to Waheguru when doing nitnem. I've heard opinions which come under two different categories:

1) People do feel something, maybe not all the time, but when they concentrate.

2) Hardly ever, but have been advised to continue doing nitnem as it may take years to actually Feel it.

Personally, I feel different after I've done it, in a good way, almost as if my batteries have been charged!

Please give your opinion.....

:)

I give utmost respect to GURBANi and i have full faith in it that it does effect our lives very much but during doing nitnem i don't feel any special .

but sure , when i read aloud path i feel something like prem or shradha for guru ji sometimes .

i really am very sad thattt i have nothing special in my life like having darshan of guru ji or shaheed singhs or other mystical creatures , avasthas etc . that is because i m unable to do hard work iin doing simran .

i barely manage to complete panj baanian everyday and that too with guru ji's kirpa otherwise i m nothing . i m very paapi and the worst guy in the whole universe or on earth . i think my life is just a waste . i can't make guru ji proud of me or impress HIM because i don't follow his hukam .

i m a moorakh and know nothing . these days i m really very depresssed .

i m so paapi even the narks (hell) will not be able to handle me .

maharaj bakhs lavo .

guru nanak data bakhsh lavo

kam krodh ar lobh moh binas jaye ahamev nanak prabh sarnagti kar parsad gurdev

wjkk wjkf

waheguru ji,

ji, I can say that Absolute faith in gurbani, actually understanding and being grounded in how powerful and unique gurbani is, and then reflecting on what you are in comparison may help.

ie. when sitting there, remember maharaaj *guru granth sahib ji is prakaash every in the world* with a canopy above, in most places. It is the best housed "scripture" (form of guru) and people will always go and matha teyk (even if they only have an ounce of sharda).

beside you have people with years of wisdom, seva, faith...so you are nothing in comparison to them (generally), and there are people out there who are making millions while you are sitting in guruji's presence...the only difference though is that something feels right.....and that complete feeling of rightness, is what brings you to guru....making money, indulging in sex, indulging in liquor, gambling, etc etc..give a quick spike or rush, but this feeling...surfaces from within.

we are bound to circumstances and hukam...that is why we aren't an inch taller or 10 shades lighter/darker...etc etc....these circumstances also determine who gets to listen to gurbani and who gets to read gurbani, and who will feel it and who won't.......

with that in mind......just remember that the more of yourself you submit, the quicker your vessel will open. real humility is a blessing, anyone can fake it.

stay in chardeekallah ji, and welcome :)

Thanks so much, two brilliant replies already. It's nice to know that there are people out there going through the same hurdles in life.

as dwarof said:

"just remember that the more of yourself you submit, the quicker your vessel will open. real humility is a blessing, anyone can fake it. "

I suppose the harder I work, the more I will change.

Karmjeet, I really think you are being too hard on yourself, I am so much worse than you, at least you manage to do panj baanian. That's such a commitment, you are working hard and I have full faith in Waheguru that people like yourself will be rewarded with everlasting fruits.

Everyone feels down sometimes, it's just a part of life, I know that without paath, listening to it or doing it, I'd go back to what I was few years ago, pure paapi and a loser.

I also think sangat is VERY important

"mil sadh sangat paj keval naam.."

So this is why i have registered to this forum and I thank waherguru for providing me the company of such Gursikhs such as yourself, Karmjeet.

i have something tha's a bit of a sidenote to make...

Karmjeet and Dust_of_your_feet, u've been talking about how bad you two are for not doin more than you can do in terms of paath and simran, etc. i'd just like to say that it's not right to demean urselves in this way because first of all, God resides in all of us. so calling yourselves bad isn't exactly complimentary...

secondly, be grateful for having been given the opportunity to do at least that much paath and Gurbani. everyone should make an effort to do more, but don't downplay the importance of having done at least that much. anything is better than nothing. just strive to do more without feeling bad about not having done the absolute maximum amount. if rome wasn't built in one day, then you can't expect urselves to become super-sants overnight or even in one life in itself... ease up on urselves... we're all human and i'm sure God won't hate us for not being perfect...

touche, sukhi_v

you are 100% right, I couldn't have said it better.

sikhs are to remain in chardeekallah (during kirat, naam japna, and vand shakna)!

we must remember, that unless we have had a taste of love for god, how do we really know what we're missing?

Reading Gurbani is about gaining (atmik) knowledge, not about meaningless repitition.

The point of doing paath is to gain gyaan.And Gurbani has quite a few layers of gyaan.There is the outer meaning and inner meanings.

For instance I found that that the "Eka Mai Jugat via-i..." pauri in Jap Ji Sahib has 3 meanings to me.There is the outer, and inner and another meaning within the inner, which is hard for me to explain at the moment.

Understanding Gurbani is a very personal matter to me.That is why I don't often try to explain my understanding of Gurbani.Not any more anyway.Thoree aqal aa gaee mainoo :LOL:

Yes you are right HDW, you need to have love for Gurbani.

"Gavi-ai suni-ai man rakhi-ai bhaa-o" - Jap Ji Sahib

Because Gurbani is Satguru, and Satguru is your Saviour.How can you not have love for your saviour?Isn't it beadbi of Satguru to mechanically recite Gurbani, without love and interest?Your Satguru is talking to you, and you are not listening.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

nitnem is the obligation for all gurusikhs i think its like a breakfast acc to me and dinner is rehraas sahib ji and lunch is for me sukhmani sahib ji ans untill now i didnt had my lunch that means sukhmani sahib and the real lunch also not had yet

what do u do when u got the muchies :P

anywhos, what about multitasking, doing paath (reading bani paath not other types) while cooking, or do u have to sit in a certain place/posture.

Also i know of postures for relaxing, should u be relaxed when doing paath. Would starting a bani and not finishing it consider worthy.. what the benefit of doing paath (no offence intended) parrot fashion??

Mugermach,

I think it's good to do paath while doing other things, like cooking etc

You asked if paath was for mind control, I believe it will give you the power to have more control over your mind, but also on simpler terms, you are reading and thinking about what our gurus have sent to us, the truth.

okey dokey.

• 3 weeks later...

Hari what do you think abouut when people say that one must do mala of Mool Mantar x amount of times and so on and so forth? To me then that would just become like a duty because you are counting and not purely doing it out of love.

When a kid starts going to school, he has to believe what teacher says. Full faith so that after lot of years, the actual understaning and own use of mind can take place. We ar the kids, who keep on questioning, why 'A' comes first, and not 'B'. Just do the counting a few times, sooner u will realize why u were doing counting, as we need to continue upgrading of our learning, and then move onto next path. From ABC to make some sensible words, then sentences etc etc. I go for learning like a child, with no inhibitions, and also use to get answers to my own questions in that learning. Thats all I can say for now about this.

Regards.

what do u do when u got the muchies :P

anywhos, what about multitasking, doing paath (reading bani paath not other types) while cooking, or do u have to sit in a certain place/posture.

Also i know of postures for relaxing, should u be relaxed when doing paath. Would starting a bani and not finishing it consider worthy.. what the benefit of doing paath (no offence intended) parrot fashion??

prabh kee ousathath karahu santh meeth ||

saavadhhaan eaekaagar cheeth ||

saas saas simrahu gobind

man antar kee utrai chind

If you think by just doing Nitnam; you are done then that is not the case.

It is true by just completeing the repition of something, you have mugged so hard that you don't even realize what you say, is not fulfilling.

The concept is to remeber Wheguru with ever Swaas, which is done when you actually do good deeds, trying to find the meaning of things.

Reciting won't buy you much. I think it is better to go through Sukhmani Sahib one Shabad at a time and understand the meaning and apply it to your personal life is much more important and fruitfull.

People have not understood the Mool Mantra yet and stuck in the definition of 'Sargun' and 'Nirgun'.

Hence my feeling is to do a little with understanding is more fruitfull then doing whole without actually even remebering what to say.

• 2 weeks later...

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh.

I've been reading paath since I was a lil kid and I never really understood what I was reading, but something happened this summer - I totally don't understand what it was, but I started doing simran - really concentrating on it and doing it everyday (simran sessions with my sisters - yaay!!) - and I actually started understanding what paath meant and what I was reading. I think simran is an excellent way for getting "in touch" with waheguru and u can slowly take it from there. Must admit though, it is not easy, but if within urself u really want to "feel ur paath" then I'd say u'r already on the right path...