Arabian Days and Nights

begum

Kharag Singh Ji, just in case you have looked over this section of the forum, here is a link: http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...wforum.php?f=42

And here are some upcoming events promoting Nirdaareth Gurmat Raag Kirtan and Guru Sahibans contributions to music and instruments: http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...wforum.php?f=15

Guest Javanmard

Kharag Singh wrote:

how come i never see gurbani kirtan sung in pure raag ever encouraged or posted like the way this is being advertised. Not saying that there is anything wrong with it, just that saade sanskaar bhule jaa rahe ya, par horra de sanskar jaag rahe ya. I mean wheres the justice?

Maybe if Sikhs had made an effort to conserve their musical heritage there would be more posts. And as to the people who have conserved the musical tradition such as Bhai Balbir and Bhai Avtar Singh I love their style but the timber of their voice doesn't fascinated me as much as Shahram Nazeri or Ostad Shahjarian.

The fact remains that instead of aping the West, Iranians have always made it a priority to preserve their beautiful culture. I contrast this with the attitude of students I met last time I was in Patiala for research. These university students told me how much they hated "these old buildings and all this old music" and how much they wanted to be "modren".

It's not difficult to see why I have more respect for the way Iranians have conserved their culture.

As for begum:

Iranian women look so Indian. Both in features and in attire.

Only true if you speak of Pakistan and Northern India to some extent.

Interesting music JM. Would you be kind enough give us a gist of what they are singing about.

It heavily resembles Eastern European gypsy music, both have common strong folk roots, with a hint of hint of Alpine Yodeling.

It's ridiculous to compare Shahram Nazeri to Ustad Nusrat Ji, he does not even come close to Ustad ji's vocal skill, range and passion (in my opinion), plus it's a completely different style of music.

Your the 1st person I've heard refer to Bhai Avtar Singhs voice as timber, they had the most characterful, flawless and majestic, meditative voice in recent years!

Shabd Kirtan is divinely gifted devotional song - given to us via the most comprehensive and complete musical science in the world - Raaga, although I enjoy many, many traditional styles of music from all across the world, nothing can compare to Guru Sahibans gift - if studied and practiced, it truely blows your mind away....

And no instrument on Earth comes close to the beauty of those chosen and created by Guru Sahiban...

This isn't tribe or bias, this is my honest opinion, after having listened to many types of music (most of which I love) from across the globe, shabd kirtan is pure and perfect devotion - the reason why raaga and dhrupad was created....

Guest Javanmard

Shaheediyan, in musicology timber means "texture of voice". It's not an adjective and even less a bad one.

And Javanmard looked up to the skies and...sigh..."Why? Why?"

Sorry, but it's "timbre" not "timber" in this context (although you'd probably have to be an amateur musician at least, to know this term). Definitely wouldn't need to be a musicologist though, just a basic secondary education in a Western country would suffice to furnish knowledge of such an elementary concept as musical timbre.

Nice music links from Javanmard!

That's OK. I was only trying to wind you up slightly with that 'secondary education' comment, but as regards timbre, a better definition would be: 'the characteristic harmonic spectra of the sounds produced by a particular instrument' rather than 'musical timbre' as I stated earlier.

Guest Javanmard

Behold ye people of the earth the glorious future of this community most deliciously expressed in the melismatic utterances of tarkhansingh:

admin cut: edited

Glorious indeed...

Here are two songs by Mohsen Namjoo an amzing Tehrani musician who bridges the gap between tradition and today.

The first is about Imam Ali (as):

This one is based on poem by Hafiz and the video stars Zahra Ebrahimi (definetly not Indian looking). She is absolutely incredible!

"The fact remains that instead of aping the West, Iranians have always made it a priority to preserve their beautiful culture. I contrast this with the attitude of students I met last time I was in Patiala for research. These university students told me how much they hated "these old buildings and all this old music" and how much they wanted to be "modren"."

Again this is yet another example of a huge generalisation and stereotyping based on meeting on the views of a "few" uncultured individuals.

The fact remains that the likes of the excellent Dr. Gurnam Singh Ji - Head of Music Department of Punjabi University Patiala and Guru Nanak Dev University Amritsar, are strong exponents of original kirtan, and have made a priceless life long effort to research, revive and preserve Gurmat Kirtan, both academically and presentationally.

They have many students across the Punjab, and the revival of traditional Kirtan has never been bigger, with many new talents and very high demand for schools.

People like Professor Surinder Singh have also boosted the popularity of traditional kirtan in Delhi and Punjab with the huge success of their last tour.

There are also some international media projects in progress which aregoing to bring the puratan kirtan culture to the limelight in nearly all homes across the globe.

The reason for the lack of preservation is not that nobody cares, it's simply ignorence/lack of education, an issue which is being tackled better and better each day.

You had no reason to insult me in your temper tantrum "Singho". You need to learn to control your krodh and frustrations.

To return your kind words, the only idiot is the coward who hides behind 3 identities and can't make up his mind which faith and sect to follow.

You had no reason to insult me in your temper tantrum "Singho". You need to learn to control your krodh and frustrations.

The reason I said it was to cause mild annoyance because I don't like you personally. Not to cause serious offense or any real problems for anyone, but sufficient to make my feelings known. I hardly think that calling you an idiot is an expression of krodh and frustrations. If I felt that way I would take your comments about this mystery person who you say " can't make up his mind which faith and sect to follow" to some interested parties. As it is, you're not worth the trouble so carry on doing what you do best: free PR work and cutting and pasting from other sites. Weirdo.