Quality Shastar

shaheediyan

top stuff, i also have some shastar made from nihang singh ji, he's such a nice personality and his sons are total gems. guarantee if anyone wanted some shastar from him, they will not be disappointed. from weighting, to design, to strength, these shastar are are cut out for all of it (no pun intended)

recommend visiting him personally and he will take you through every step in the making of your shastar, can't wait to go back to him again.

my pesh kabz with authentic ivory on the handle set me back 12000 rupees. you can put any type of handle you want on it, ivory is extremely hard to get in india, so it cost me an extra 4000 rupees, otherwise it would be around 8000 rupees for this shastar. i know you could probably get a puratan one for around that range, but this is something that you would want to use, extremely functional.

heres of mine. mine you i had him custom make the handle so it'd be a bit smaller, however you can make yours however you want. in retrospect i would have a bigger handle (altho i do have small hands)

peshkabz034vd0.th.jpg

agree with jsingh, he says normally give him a month but depending on the workload. when we went to him, we went with an order of about 7 shastar and they got them done in about 10 days, custom making them to our hand sizes.

the ivory handles work a treat, though he says he can put whatever handle you like

sorry for being a kn00b, but i have a question. Here in canada, there is no flipping way, you can carry above shown shastars as kirpan, it won't just get fit into the political correct definition of kirpan which is defined as article of faith.

In UK, do they consider above shown shastars under kirpan category? or all the above beautiful shastars are under antique section?

Harmeet/JSingh, do these shastar come with scabbards?

N30 Singh Ji, I think most UK people who buy these would buy them to:

Take to Shastar Vidya class to learn their use;

Keep at home for display/collection;

Wear to Gurdwara/rehansbai etc.

I doubt many people would wear them to work everyday etc - all though there are some that do...

I am unsure how non-mainstream kirpan would be conceived by authorities, but in my personal experience, having visited Prisons, Govt HQs and MI6 once (high security places)... I have always refused to show my 'kirpan' when I have been asked (which was very rarely - and only when I declared), and my stern but polite refusal has always been accepted.

• 10 months later...
Guest caveman

the shastar is good for decorative purposes, a nihang I know who has many years of shastar vidiya abhiaas and is awesome said that the steel used isnt that good and its not that good, a few people I know who have pesh kabz from baldev singh said the same, no offense to nihang ji but it would be better buying puratan rather than newly made ones which seem puratan

......it would be better buying puratan rather than newly made ones which seem puratan

True, authentic Damascus steel has long been out of production and there is nobody around with the gyan to make it. However, there are some places in Japan where they make Katanas in the traditional manner and they're awesome - there's a program that gets repeated on discovery now and again where the show the process.

It is not just the metal (which is too heavy anyway), its the knowledge of how each weapon should be balanced and correctly weighted, little nuances such as the curves and the corresponding length of handle to length of blade, these things are missed by Baldev Singh in the shastar I have handled of his. Although he has the skill to copy designs of shastar he is missing the knowledge that makes these weapons effective for Shastarvidiya. They look the part, however when using them the flaws soon become aparent.

People have provided him with pictures of weapons, and he has tried to copy them as best as he could, what he requires is some knowledge of how each weapon is used. Regardless, his stuff is still better then the "kirpans" that used to be available