Turning The Developing World Into The West's Rubbish Tip

dalsingh101

What do the sangat think of this?

Britain's 'toxic ship' returns from Brazil

Waste shipment illegally exported from UK had prompted UN complaint

By Michael McCarthy, Environment editor

Saturday, 22 August 2009

A massive shipment of toxic waste, alleged to have been illegally exported from the UK to Brazil, arrived back in Britain yesterday after its discovery prompted an angry complaint to the United Nations from the Brazilian authorities.

The 1,400 tonnes of rubbish, said to include condoms and hospital waste ranging from syringes to bags of blood, were found in three Brazilian ports in July, in 89 containers believed to have been exported from Britain under the guise of recyclable plastic.

The discovery caused outrage in Brazil, provoking a personal protest from Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva declaring his country was not prepared to be "the world's rubbish bin".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...il-1775820.html

India has also been used like this apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7668178.stm

bullshit

It wasn't the UK government that shipped it over, it was a private company which is being investigated by the UK.

If you have nothing better to offer than a retarded, ignorant knee-jerk response without even the decency to read the flipping article then stfu.

Same goes for you dalsingh, conveniently quoting the article out of context, good going.

Edited by cul

Cul

I posted the first few paragraphs with a link to the complete thing. Posting the whole piece seems like a waste of space as anyone interested could easily click for the full article and should be checking the source anyway.

Your own post seems like the type of knee jerk reaction you are accusing others of.

I apologise for any offience and my tone, however the article is selectively quoted out of context so no, not a knee jerk reaction =p.

Maybe don't quote it all? or mention what it's about...

BTW Mithar, Brazil and India are hardly poor as developing states go.

bullshit

It wasn't the UK government that shipped it over, it was a private company which is being investigated by the UK.

If you have nothing better to offer than a retarded, ignorant knee-jerk response without even the decency to read the flipping article then stfu.

Same goes for you dalsingh, conveniently quoting the article out of context, good going.

sorry

When anything negative is said about western governments see the reaction of the imperials' chumchay. There is a close link between the UK government and the private sector, the government is a showpiece for big multinationals. DOn;t you remember thatcher privatising everything this was to please her corporate masters. Bush BLair Brown they are all in the pockets of big business. Why are Sikhs so intent on serving the government when it has so obviously become corrupt and a source of great evil.

Really? And other than your wild imagination where is your source for the idea that the govt was involved in this?

I'm not defending anything other than the cause against stupidity. It's illegal to export non recyclable waste - who do you think made those laws? You really think the govt is sitting around sniggering about how theyre going to send TWO WHOLE containers of trash to Brazil?

BTW Bush and Blair aren't in power any more, in case you hadn't noticed. BTW pt deux, It's not my govt, congratulations on making even more retarded assumptions.

I should've known better than to expect anything but redundant dogma from here.

While not directly involved, the UK has made it very easy and financialy rewarding to send waste offshore, whether household garbage, or industrial waste.

As an example, it is easier to ship a container full of old plastic bags classified as waste than it is to export computers or machinery. in addition, grants are available and tax benefits too.

However, most of the blame lies with 3rd world countries themselves. They've done a good enough job of turning beautiful countries into rubbish tips without any outside help.

the article is selectively quoted out of context so no, not a knee jerk reaction

Yes it was a knee jerk reaction. I just posted the first few paragraphs for a taste. Don't accuse me of carefully selecting a specific potion of the article that gives a false impression. I already clearly explained why I didn't post the whole thing.

What the hell made you say:

Where was that suggested in anything I personally posted? You are the one jumping to conclusions.

Don't accuse me of crap like that again please. What are you anyway, one of those defensive apologists for the British government......lol

Anyway, I agree with Matheen that a large chunk of the blame lies with the countries that allow themselves to be abused like this for money. That however doesn't mean that organisations in the west can't act with some decency and not try to shift their problems elsewhere. What the heck is wrong with recycling here?

The stance taken by Brazil is a commendable one and hopefully will be followed by others. The British government itself needs to develop and enforce policies that make sure such things do not happen again. Otherwise accusations of turning a convenient blind eye or implicit collusion would (that's for you cul) be valid.

Seeing as this dumping issue has been previously highlighted as taking place in India and this evidence suggests that this is still taking place. Any previous government inititaives seem to be at least partially ineffective. Stricter controls are required and the UK needs to take this seriously.

Edited by dalsingh101

What the hell made you say:

Wow you sure have a knack for accidentally-on-purpose quoting out of context don't you. That comment was not directed at you.

Edited by cul

Wow you sure have a knack for accidentally-on-purpose quoting out of context don't you. That comment was not directed at you.

You seem to have a knack for posting a load of bollox yourself. Nothing I posted was out of context. The only thing that was, was your strange "emotional outburst" and weird defence of the British government.