British Universities Sometimes Seen As Breeding Grounds For Radical Islam

kdsingh80

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/31/AR2009123102332_2.html?sid=ST2009123103109

British universities sometimes seen as breeding grounds for radical Islam

Gallery

The failed plane bombing in Detroit

A Nigerian man, claiming to be linked to al-Qaeda, allegedly tried to set off an incendiary device aboard a trans-Atlantic airplane on Christmas Day as it descended toward Detroit's airport. The White House called it an attempted act of terrorism.

LONDON -- The case of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the Nigerian man accused in the attempted bombing of a U.S. airliner, has reinvigorated a debate about whether British universities are being used as breeding grounds for radical Islam.

This Story

Bombing reports start trickling in to Obama

Radical Islam often fomented in college

Officials eye cleric's ties to suspect in jet plot

View All Items in This Story

For three years, Abdulmutallab made the short journey from his apartment in central London to an 11-story brown brick building at University College London (UCL), where he was enrolled as a mechanical engineering student.

Before him, Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, who was convicted in connection with the 2002 murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, attended the London School of Economics. British citizens Asif Mohammed Hanif and Omar Khan Sharif were enrolled at King's College London before launching a suicide attack in Tel Aviv in 2003.

While those cases -- and others -- hardly suggest that extremists have infiltrated Britain's campuses, experts say there is evidence that Muslims who adopt radical ideologies frequently do so during their formative years in college.

Abdulmutallab, now 23, was president of UCL's Islamic society. And according to Anthony Glees, a professor of security and intelligence studies at the University of Buckingham, he is the fourth president of a university Islamic society to be linked to terrorism-related offenses in recent years. One of the former presidents, Waheed Zaman, is being retried for his alleged connection with a plot to bomb transatlantic airliners in 2006.

Like many university organizations, Islamic student societies fill an important social role for students, said Usama Hasan, a former Islamic society president at three British universities and now a university lecturer. But he said that they can also foment fundamentalist ideas and can be aided by guest speakers who "are very narrow-minded and extreme."

Hasan said that Islamic societies have scratched off many of the most radical Islamic preachers from their speaking rosters. The voice of Anwar al-Aulaqi, for example, the Yemen-based cleric who has come under scrutiny in the Christmas Day plot, is banned from Britain. Even so, he can still be heard frequently on some British campuses via video link during conferences and other events.

"It's worrying," Hasan said. "He is charismatic, and some students listen to him."

Abdulmutallab graduated with an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering and business finance in June 2008. Less than a year later, he sought a second visa to study in Britain -- a course in "life coaching," according to British media reports -- but was turned down for applying to a nonexistent institution.

During his time at UCL, he organized a conference called "War on Terror Week" at the university. One event at the conference was billed as "a lecture on the Islamic position with respect to jihad and other issues."

It remains unclear when Abdulmutallab underwent an ideological transformation. He was far from being described as a firebrand radical, and his former teachers, classmates and acquaintances in London have expressed surprise about the allegations against him.

Malcolm Grant, the UCL provost, said in an interview that the school was "completely shocked" by the news. He said that he has spoken to Abdulmutallab's tutors, who "found it impossible to tell the difference between him and any other student." Abdulmutallab, in fact, was "well-mannered, quietly spoken, polite."

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies, an umbrella organization that represents 90,000 students in Islamic societies across Britain, said there was "nothing in his behavior during this time that would indicate that he would commit these alleged acts."

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing that.

As the above article also gives a few examples of, research shows that most "homegrown" terrorists in the west are actually highly educated individuals which makes it even more difficult to counter-act against. Where it was previosly assumed that these individuals were brainwashed by charismatic leaders, research now shows that these young men actually chose and adopt these views themselves.

This is what makes the situation so difficult. The old strategy said that if you remove the brainwashing charismatic leader, you have prevented further recrution into these radical groups, but what do you do when these young people radicalze themselves? Shutting down these study groups is not gonna help. I actually belive its better to have them there in the open, instead of forcing them to sit and discuss these things in private basements where inteligence service will have no idea of what is taking place.

Btw radicalisation is not a problem confined to islamism alone. At a conference on radicalisation in Europe a police officer from UK (i dont remember his name) there has been an increase in radical views among young sikhs during recent years. The definition of a radicalised person in this context is someone who is willing to use violence as a means to attain some political/religious objective.

Violence has always been a basic part of the sikh diaspora. For some reason around the millenium it dropped off a bit as the sikh community was trapped between the british govt clamping down on khalistanis and the growing vehemence of the muslim community. Luckily, the govt now has bigger fish to fry and the recession has really bitten the muslims on the ass. Hopefully a conservative govt will deal a death blow to the muslim ghettoes.

Do you want to know the best way to get rid of muslim extremists? Remove the barriers that hinder them going to places like pakistan/afghanistan. Encourage them to join muji groups and then let the army deal with them. If they chicken out, dont let them back in to the uk. They wont be able to encourage others, they wont have children to raise in the same way and it will eventually make them realise that violence doesnt solve anything unless you have the biggest club.

And what if they dont go to afghanistan or pakistan, but instead follow the footsteps of Muhammad Khan sadique and plan an attack on uk soil? Besides, there are'nt really any barriers hindering young western muslims to participate in Jihad in afghanistan. Omar Khan sharif from the article above participated in jihad in bosnia and had some military training in afghanistan and then he came back to the UK for a while before blowing himself up in israel

Edited by amardeep

My time at uni confirmed that fundos are very active there. When this was highlighted by some Sikhs we were met with accusations of being extremists ourselves! lol

Don't make it your battle, let whitey reap what he has sown.

HSD, these fundos are no clowns, many would give thick poor white trash soldiers a good run for their money. They are well organised and generally centralised in their belief. What we are seeing is the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by dalsingh101

Don't make it your battle, let whitey reap what he has sown.

There is a kahavat in Hindi Gehun ke saath ghun bhi pista hai.Condition of sikhs is going to be like a ghun

The more they attack the white's the more white's will retaliate on all.This means more racist attacks on Turbanned sikhs.imposition of restrictions on 5 ks,Private sector hesistating to give employment to sikhs too.So along with Muslims sikhs are also going to be at receiving end

There is a kahavat in Hindi Gehun ke saath ghun bhi pista hai.Condition of sikhs is going to be like a ghun

The more they attack the white's the more white's will retaliate on all.This means more racist attacks on Turbanned sikhs.imposition of restrictions on 5 ks,Private sector hesistating to give employment to sikhs too.So along with Muslims sikhs are also going to be at receiving end

That is inevitable. You don't realise the true picture sitting in India. The anti Islamic rhetoric is only covering a wider xenophobia. Funny thing is when I was growing up it was the Sikhs who were the most despised and I used to frequently hear things like "The ones with the turbans are the worst".

You shouldn't really be too opinionated from overthere. Have faith that some British Sikhs know what they are doing. A few apnay getting slapped up may actually wake the qaum up a bit now I think of it.

Jumping into white man's godhee is just going to make us look like lackey weak chumchay, pussy cats.

Until whitey stops intervening and interfering in foreign lands, expect more retaliation from sullay. Besides, the goray actually use this shit to unify their own. It's a vote winner! lol

Edited by dalsingh101

You shouldn't really be too opinionated from overthere. Have faith that some British Sikhs know what they are doing.

O.K. in Britain Sikhs have good representation and they can do what is best to safeguard their interest

but what about other parts of Europe and world.Already in Australia the worst sufferer among Indian student attacks were sikhs

Jumping into white man's godhee is just going to make us look like lackey weak chumchay.

Actually this is our new image Best chamchays .We have Manmohan singh leading in this who got the post of PM ship through chamcha giri

O.K. in Britain Sikhs have good representation and they can do what is best to safeguard their interest

but what about other parts of Europe and world.Already in Australia the worst sufferer among Indian student attacks were sikhs

Thing is, most of the people who came to the UK in the 70s/80s were pindu bhatra, carpenter, farmer types. Some of them could fight and they were all quite physical, hence the work they mostly did. The type of Indian that is going to Austrailia is not like this. They are student types. Dare I say it, quite nerdy. The fact is that unless you have the courage to fight you will have a hard time when you first land in a hostile land. Reputations are made on a ground level. They say, if you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen. If those Sikhs in the lands you mention can't do what other Sikhs before them have then.......

Actually this is our new image Best chamchays .We have Manmohan singh leading in this who got the post of PM ship through chamcha giri

All we can do is ask ourselves if we are also presenting this chumcha baji image. If enough of us do not want to do this, it will be enough. You can't change anyone else, just don't be guilty yourself for starters.

Edited by dalsingh101

Btw radicalisation is not a problem confined to islamism alone. At a conference on radicalisation in Europe a police officer from UK (i dont remember his name) there has been an increase in radical views among young sikhs during recent years. The definition of a radicalised person in this context is someone who is willing to use violence as a means to attain some political/religious objective.

Officials at that level make sure that they keep up the PC rhetoric of not being seen as targetting one particular group. So when they talk of radicalisation of Muslims they have to refer to other groups and use whatever small example that may be available in order to tie this into their narrative of a general radicalisation rather than radicalisation of Muslims in particular. In the US any talk of Muslim extremism is also followed by comments about the KKK or right wing Christians.

That comment from the university shows how they have hid their heads in the sand for too long. Universities were well known for being places were radicalisation of Muslims took place since the early 90s. The Muslim terrorists know that they will be treated with kid gloves by the authorities. Look at how the UK govt has bent over backwards to accommodate Muslim demands. They have brought back dozens of those UK citizens and even a UK resident who were caught in Afghanistan and taken to Gitmo. To the Muslim mentality, this shows not compassion but a weakness and hence makes attacks more likely.

The definition of a radicalised person in this context is someone who is willing to use violence as a means to attain some political/religious objective.

Does that cover the white boys and girls that get sent around the world to do the governments bidding no questions asked and are prepared to kill whoever resists them? If not, why not?

Sikhs are not radicalised. A handful of low IQ Singhs may make noise about Khalistan but they lack the will and intelligence to develop and push through any serious attempt to make this a reality. The other type uses Khalistan as some strange personality prop without understanding what it would entail.

Periodically whitey pushes these people into the media to keep the pot boiling and make sure lumpen white people are kept suspicious of all brownies. I remember a few years ago I was in an Irish pub (yeah I said it!!) and The Sun had just put some big article about "Sikh terrorists" going to Al Qaeda in Pakland for training all over their paper. The landlord was loudly moaning about "they are all at it" in my direction. When I told him he should know better being a thick paddy and that his people had been the ones engaging in terrorism here for years and no Sikh was whinging, he shut up.

Actually here is a synopsis of the piece, what a load of buckwas! lol

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/846177/Britain-Sikh-terror-cell-warning-New-threat-Sikh-extremists-Al-Qaeda.html

Edited by dalsingh101

kdsingh80 can you tell us what you think about the situation with Muslims in India? If they are a threat anywhere it is there due to their massive numbers.

With sikhs their relation is absolutely fine because No where we found sizeable muslims and sikhs living side by side.Sikhs don't hate them like many Hindu's

so they too respect sikhs.My brother is in MCA course

and one of his teacher was muslim who studied in a sikh school and he used to praise sikhs a lot.He was also very generous on sikh students too including my brother.

With Hindu's Riots,dispute fights are inevitable.Thier number is increasing day by day with Bangladeshi illegal migrants coming in large number everywhere they will compete with Hindu's.Also Kashmir dispute ,pakistan all just increase hatred towards muslims.So Relations between hindu's and muslims are not going to be good in future.

Tony i do not think it is that simple. Of course PC has something to do with it but radicalisation is not just a muslim trend. There has been an increase in radical right-wing views all over europe these past years which is seen in various elections in germany, denmark, norway, austria, uk etc. unfortunately i did not have the time to ask what this police officer meant by radicalisation among sikhs in UK, and what the outcome of it was but he sure said that he had seen an increase. However i dont think that anyone sees sikh as a threat to the west. Its mainly sikhs abroad targeting india, using the west as their safe platform.

However no one denies that the greatest threat is seen in the islamist community

Tony i do not think it is that simple. Of course PC has something to do with it but radicalisation is not just a muslim trend. There has been an increase in radical right-wing views all over europe these past years which is seen in various elections in germany, denmark, norway, austria, uk etc. unfortunately i did not have the time to ask what this police officer meant by radicalisation among sikhs in UK, and what the outcome of it was but he sure said that he had seen an increase. However i dont think that anyone sees sikh as a threat to the west. Its mainly sikhs abroad targeting india, using the west as their safe platform.

However no one denies that the greatest threat is seen in the islamist community

Amardeep, what chance do we have, when our own people are willing to give credability to scaremongering tactics of the white media (possibly colluding with the Hindi agenda)? If true, maybe a handful of dumb Sikhs have jumped in with Al Qaeda types, who are using them for their own anti-India agenda.

How could any Singh with even an average IQ think that this will help the K'stan cause? How can any militancy help right now? If these people had any true prem for the quom they would be more concerned about the social burahaal of much of the panth in Panjab with the junkies, infanticide, suicides, corruption of SGPC etc. Only an idiot would try anything without popular ground level support. Right now it doesn't exist.

I still maintain it is highly likely that the case for Sikh extremism is itself exaggerated by the sources you mention for their own purpose. Yes, sure we may have some youth who wear K'stan sweat shirts and idolise the kharkoos of old, but they are generally harmless. My local Gurdwara has ancient pro-khalistan slogans and pics of sant Bhindranwale up. Does this make them extremist?

You should exercise buddhee instead of swallowing what the police tell you. They are the same phudhoos telling us that no Islamic extremism, grooming is/was going on in UK unis. They are full of shit.

And what if they dont go to afghanistan or pakistan, but instead follow the footsteps of Muhammad Khan sadique and plan an attack on uk soil? Besides, there are'nt really any barriers hindering young western muslims to participate in Jihad in afghanistan. Omar Khan sharif from the article above participated in jihad in bosnia and had some military training in afghanistan and then he came back to the UK for a while before blowing himself up in israel

Well duh, thats why I said they should be encouraged to take it elsewhere. Once they're out of the country, dont let them back in.

HSD, these fundos are no clowns, many woould give thick poor white trash soldiers a good run for their money. They are well organised and generally centralised in their belief. What we are seeing is the tip of the iceberg.

Exactly, all the more reason to let them have it out with each other. Mind you what i hear from some of those who've been in afghanistan is that it's a duckshoot most of the time. I guess it's just harder to get the really sly musis to go and fight. We still have those old idiots in gurudwara committees telling kids to fight the indian govt. Fortunately most people realise that they have been saying the same thing for over 25 years whilst sitting on their asses.

I remember a few years ago I was in an Irish pub (yeah I said it!!) and The Sun had just put some big article about "Sikh terrorists" going to Al Qaeda in Pakland for training all over their paper. The landlord was loudly moaning about "they are all at it" in my direction. When I told him he should know better being a thick paddy and that his people had been the ones engaging in terrorism here for years and no Sikh was whinging, he shut up.

LMAO! Oh the irish. Poor buggers. When the BNP get in power and balls up the army, what ever armed forces left will probably be used on Paddy (unless the Scots are independent).

LMAO! Oh the irish. Poor buggers. When the BNP get in power and balls up the army, what ever armed forces left will probably be used on Paddy (unless the Scots are independent).

I think if the BNP got rid of coloured people they would go after ginger haired people next.