Are Gurudwaras Doing Any Good To Panth?

laalsingh

6 hours ago, PCSJZ said:

So they have the usual which you would expect all gurdwaras to have, punjabi and music classes. Difference is they link everything to the mind. They go to great lengths to explain the journey of the mind according to SGGS. 

They also have gatka, netball, football classes. These are usually friday evenings when you would normally see the youth out on the streets up to no good.

Free bricklaying, plastering, carpentry courses for anyone who wants to join. All city and guilds approved. Also media studies courses. This is in the Refresh centre within the gurdwara.

Sikh art and exhibition gallery within the gurdwara in collaboration with Kanwar Singhs paintings. Again, they have explained all the paintings from the view of the mind.

Rekindle. A service which is open to all those families that are experiencing issues regarding grooming of their children. The gurdwara has invested heavily in courses and work closely with the police and council so that everything is done properly. They have worked with countless families in bringing young kids mainly girls back to their families who may have gone off with muslim boys.

They have just opened a new school which is for girls where they will teach them about Sikhi. Both history and the real message of Gurbani from age 4. So when they are at an older age, they are less likely to go off the rails.

They have 2 camps each year, summer and Christmas time for 4-5 days. Separate camps for children split by age where again they teach about the Shabad and how important it is to get there. A massive emphasis on history and what our shaheed Singhs, Gurus have done for us. 

They have a theatre within the gurdwara where some sevadars will act out plays at certain times of the year eg Vaisakhi, gurpurbs where they will pick a story and act it out but again link it to the mind.

I dont know where you’re from brother but last year they had the journey of the mind exhibition at Birmingham library for a week which attracted people from all faiths where again the focus was about the mind. Next stop I believe is London but I dont know the dates yet.

There are many other projects being worked on but I cant currently say due to early stages.

Sangat come from all over the world to stay and do bhagti. Some for 6 months, some for a year, some more and some less. You get a room to stay, (shared) clothes are washed and ironed for you, clean shower facilities, only condition is you stay and do simran. No idle gossip.

The thing is, everything is done by sevadars and no one is paid. Bhai Saab does akath katha every sunday and focusses purely on the message of Gurbani. Why are we here and where do we have to get to and how do we get there. No hidden agendas, no committee, no special treatment. You do the practical and watch your life change.

I dig that journey of the mind stuff but some of those Sikhs say things like "Guru Nanak is just a metaphor etc". The Guru Sahiban did do many not metaphorical things. Like literally fight. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2010 at 12:12 PM, laalsingh said:

Just take few minutes and think! Are Gurudwaras helping Sikhi or destroying it? I came across a news item in National Post. It is humiliating.

Temples of strife: Power struggles fuelling recent Sikh violence

More interesting are comments by others on these incidents.

Here is another.

Kal yug. 

• 1 month later...