Panjabi Vocabulary Builder Thread

dalsingh101

ਅਨਖਿੜੇ

Edited by dalsingh101

ਇਰਾਦਾ - Mind, intention, plan, idea, desire, wish, purpose, resolve, determination; aim, intention, purpose; steadfastness; inclination

ਇਤਲਾਹ - intimation, information, report, news

Also: ਇਤਲਾਹ ਕਰਨੀ, ਇਤਲਾਹ ਦੇਣੀ essentially means to 'grass up', report, inform

ਇਤਲਾਹ ਕਰਾਉਣੀ - to serve a court summons

ਪਣਾ

This one is extra interesting. Modern usage seems to denote: to imagine, speculate, assume, fancy, formulate, think about, invent

But it also seems to be used in the definition of: to lament, moan; to complain; to express pain, grief or torment; to shout in bani.

I like to fancy myself as a ਕਲਪਨਾਤਮਿਕ (imaginative) person but maybe it's just wishful thinking?

Edited by dalsingh101

ਅਨਖਿੜੇ

This one has stumped me. The context:

ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਸ਼ਾਇਦ ਉਹ ਅਨਖਿੜੇ ਦਿਮਾਗ ਦੀ ਗੱਲ ਸਮਝਦੇ ਹੋਣ।

Edited by dalsingh101

This means "translation", this is a real Punjabi word. Although I mostly see people using the word "tarjama" instead which I think is an Urdu word.

See I was familiar with the word ਅਨੁਵਾਦ, is that not Panjabi?

• 2 months later...

Was wondering if a native Panjabi speaker could clarify. Is the way I have used the adhik here in this transliteration of the word 'cigarette' correct?

ਸਿਗਰੱਇਟ

Also, recently I noticed that when I search for a translation of the word 'throw' in Panjabi I get:

ਸੁੱਟਣ, ਸੋਟ, ਸੁੱਟ

but we've always seemed to use the word ਸਿੱਟ growing up?

Anyone shed any light on this?

Edited by dalsingh101

ਕਲਪਨਾ

Means to form fashion or make something in the mind. It is interesting to note in Hindu cosmology the the act of creation is known as Srishti-Kalpana, the world is a thought in the active imagination of the creator. As Human Beings are reflections of the creator we also have this ability to create mentally. But this facility of active imagination has been corrupted in kaljug which is why Gurbani calls it an affliction. Instead of having the mental power and purity to create real forms and ideas the mind becomes wavering and starts daydreaming and thinking randomly according to any old mental associations.

So there are two senses to this word one which is an active directed conscious imagining, the other; a random wandering daydreaming of thought. To read Gurbani you need kalpana shakti to be able to enter into the deep meanings contained within Gurbani.

• 6 months later...

I'm proper stuck on this word. Any ideas people?

ਪੂਰਨਿਆਂ

• 11 months later...

Seeing as we have a new forum member who appears to be very keen on improving their Panjabi (johnyork)- I thought I'd bump this thread up, in case it is of any use to them.

It might even be a good idea for some of the original contributers to test their retention of the words that were posted.

So would the word 'template' be the right one to choose?

I really struggled with this word when I translated the Ganda Singh essay from Sainapati's Gursobha.

No I think it's just those dotted letters, not a template.

Apparently there are 3 more meanings. Check it out. It could be any one of them.

English Translation

(1) v.t. to fill up ditch, pit, etc. to take or fulfil a partisan stand,
stand by ones side of dispute. (2) n.m. letter written in pencil to be
written over by a learner child; ideal exemplary achievement
(instead of "template")

Edited by BhagatSingh

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone knows what 'satvara' means?

Please post in Gurmukhi script.

Can we keep up the standard of using Gurmukhi guys. It sort of defeats the purpose of the thread otherwise (i.e. to promote and encourage use of the language in its original script).