Salotar Yudh - Stick Fighting

Maha Singh

Thanks for sharing. Are these vids on youtube?

If anyone is after fighting sticks like the ones used in the video, I have a large collection for sale, ranging from bahi, cherry, Kamagong, iron wood (all solid hardwoods) and heavy duty closely noded rattan. I have heavy sticks and lighter sticks.

Send me a pm if you want more details.

Anyone who has studied shastarvidiya will know how hard it is to copy the surface level and gain success. Real training in done through years of ardous practise and contemplation, refined through constant testing and getting a katapa. Gatkabaaj will shamelessly take what they can, that is a given, but the real mystery and hidden concepts behind the vidiya will never be grasped by them.

They can copy as many Shastar Kamals, Namaskars, Bana and weapons etc but the real reason for having such things is the vidiya itself, without it, it is just an empty shell.

The release of the videos is not to help anyone train, they are merely a glimpse into the depth that Shastarvidiya practioners should delve into to attain a high level of skill and to allow the wider audience to appreciate that such an art exists among the Sikhs, beyond the sheild bashing, salt blinding, melon cutting and morris dancing shenanigans we have become so accustomed to seeing.

Mithar,

All major combat arts have pretty much turned into 'sports or entertainment (art)' forms. Look at Aikido, Karate, Judo, TWD, Silat, Eskrima etc, I could carry on. However, each of these nations i.e. Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, China, Korea(s) etc still have the original combat forms, they are just very, very rare and hard to find.

There certainly may be some gatka ustaads who have real vidya, and some forms of gatka that contain real vidya, but the majority of what is demonstrated today is not combat bro. Real combat teaches efficiency - as a core survival concept, and that is one thing that the majority of gatka totally contradicts. The amount of energy that is used is ridiculous, and there is no attention to detail i.e. positions/vulnerabilities between vaars (there should not be any).

Gatka may contain some historical combat ideas in parts, but on the large it is no different to the modern sports MAs, in fact, if anything, it is probably weaker, as it is more display/game than fighting thought, and it contains no open handed combat which is a must, and which Nidar Singh makes numerous mention of from puratan granths.

I am not having a go, but its time Sikhs woke up to this, and did some real research for any existing vidya that holds true to combat. Especially if you are not a fan of Nidar Singh.

Better than letting your personal hatred and bias letting you make self demeaning comments, that you search out the truth, it most certainly still must be out there.

Irrelevant of what theory people hold about the authenticity of Nidar Singhs vidya, one thing is certain, it is clearly for killing and not for exhibitionism. And for the fact that Nidar Singh teaches it for free to anyone that can make the effort to learn it, to make a lifetime seva of teaching Singhs across the UK how to truly protect themselves, I have to give Nidar Singh utmost respect. I don't see anyone else doing this.

For those that have issues, I would say go out there, learn real combat, and provide an alternative, rather than just constantly moaning. Although I doubt anyone will be able to match Nidar Singhs knowledge on yudh as found in puratan ithihaas, that is truly well researched/learnt.

I guess all those Nihangs in India who practice Gatka have been training in a crapy art for all these years. All of a sudden a lone factory worker (who in his youth studied Kung Fu) in the UK is blessed with this divine knowledge of Jhatka Gatka aka "SV".

Basically , you are right!!

Lets assume that Nihang Niddar has made up this vidiya by himself...God he must be some form of avtar to do that!!! The amount of technical, theory and philosohpical knowledge he has. one cannot really just make this up by working on some Black Country production line.

• 1 month later...

Salotars for sale:

http://www.shasterkhajana.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69&p=471#p471

First the karas, now these. Has the missus demanded a clear out Shaheediyan? lol

Lol, 'clear out' is not an occassional request, but a standing order!

I'm just trying to create an interest for Singhs in martial arts and related quality equipment (which I am providing at discounted rates), rather than the mainstream tack our people seem to horde.

It never ceases to surprise me the amount of money people are ready to waste on crap i.e. Consoles, games, drinking, eating out etc etc but when it comes to purchasing something that will be an investment to pass on their to their kids, is related to their culture/religion, will help them carry out their 10th Masters wishes, could help save their life - then all of a sudden there is only a budget of £4.47!

Sorry, am in ranting mode at the mo, due to the turn in weather giving me my yearly 'cold'!

In any case, I am happy to say that some inspiring, intelligent and hardworking Singhs are taking a healthy interest :D