New Sikh Channel On Sky Channel 847

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Sat Sri Akaal,

Just flipping through the channels on Sky Digital Satellite and came across this new Sikh Channel.

It is called Sangat and located on Channel 847

Sangat TV is by Sangat Trust, you can bing or google it on-line for further information.

So far, they are playing a pre-recorded schedule of Sehaj Path done by the Kids from Baru Sahib and hourly Introduction Videos which last around 20mins.

I like the way they starting this channel, unlike the "Sikh Channel" on 840, they did not start out by playing recorded Katha/Gurbani VCD's from Panjab, infact when the Sikh Channel started, for couple months that was all they were playing, the menus didn't match what was on, etc.

In short, The Sikh Channel - 840 in my view was rushed to the market without any well thought out plan to back it. It is still rough around the edges, and the message I am getting is that if you want them

to do better, pay up.

Personally, from the programmes I have seen on Sikh Channel, its lacking something, I don't know what.

Sangat on the other hand, have not done this.

Competition is always healthy.

There will be another Sikh based channel starting soon, this, I believe is the guy who originally came up with the idea of the "Sikh Channel", but was beaten to the market by Mr Bal from Britasia.

The fourth addition is AmritBani TV, I don't know if it is Web based or Sky, but they are collection funds for it.

Can somebody here tell me, how does one go about starting a Sky Channel, what are the costs involved, etc.

Sat Sri Akaal

I remember posting about this need a couple of years ago.

Like all my brilliant ideas, others have nicked this one as well. Oh well Rodney....we'll still be millionaires this time next year! lol

Sangat TV, i believe is financed by Soho Roadwale. It seems to have a lot of their pics on it. Presentational and pictorial Quality does seem to be better, but oh so many repeats. gets boring after a while.

Like you said competition is healthy. just hope it reults in real improvement contentwise.

Although competition is healty it can also be a downfall , since they are supposedly sangats Channel ( no one asked me if its ok to open a channel :D:D

Secondly why cant they all work together ?

Have your separate offices around the country but feed into one channel as the saying goes less is more

I personally see "channel bashing going on " WHY cant they work together , why oh why ?

Although competition is healty it can also be a downfall , since they are supposedly sangats Channel ( no one asked me if its ok to open a channel :D:D

Secondly why cant they all work together ?

Have your separate offices around the country but feed into one channel as the saying goes less is more

I personally see "channel bashing going on " WHY cant they work together , why oh why ?

welkom to sikhism.

if there aren't any tyrants heads to 'bash' we go after each other, just to occupy ourselves!!!!

haha

PS DSG if you don't like what you see on these channels, don't watch.

join me aand we'll set up a channel.(you're paying of course). ;) I can promise you good profit though. 50/50 share.

Edited by jattboot

Sangat TV, i believe is financed by Soho Roadwale.

Is that the group Apna Sangeet? Who famously was searching for someone 'Soho Road utey', 'kunnah wich mundaraan paa kay'?

Where can I get an outfit like that?

Edited by dalsingh101

Did apna sangeet ever find whoever they were looking for? Its been many many years now.

I don't think they did. He's still roaming around looking by the looks of this......

Tell you what, he's aged bloody well....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxfKVKzLRU&feature=related

Sorry for the sillyness folks....

Jattboot

Deal , we should take the idea to Dragons Den( i'm sure no ones done it before ,we'll be the first B) and ask for £550,321 ( go 50/50)

Its not the content i have an issue with , but why didnt Soho Road Wale , work together with the Sikh Channel ( as both are charity channels , hopefully with the same agenda, plus they are trying to setup a Sikh Comittee gathering young/old and others from all over the UK who can represent Sikhs at a national and global level to help in issues like turban , kirpan etc.... have one voice for the Sikhs ).... would the new channel ( hopefully not) put a divide between the community .

Its not the content i have an issue with , but why didnt Soho Road Wale , work together with the Sikh Channel ( as both are charity channels , hopefully with the same agenda, plus they are trying to setup a Sikh Comittee gathering young/old and others from all over the UK who can represent Sikhs at a national and global level to help in issues like turban , kirpan etc.... have one voice for the Sikhs ).... would the new channel ( hopefully not) put a divide between the community .

Here is another question, why didn't The Sikh Channel or more over Davinder Singh Bal work together with the guy who originally came up with the idea. I have been watching Sikh Channel from day 1 and my first thoughts were "what the hell is this", anybody who had watched it in the beginning knows what I am talking about.

The Sikh Channel, even though it is a Charity, (although I have a feeling he didn't want it to be one, but it was, sort of forced into becoming one, as they were taking donations via direct debit's), everything is, by their own admission paid for by the Sangat who is supporting that channel, their programmes, etc, etc. Which is Excellent.

Yet, after every single programme, the executive produce is not "The Sikh Channal Sangat", its Mr Bal.

Then they had that stupid meeting, ever so stupid, made them look like big stupid cry babies, that "oh look there is another sikh channel starting, which has Indian Government/Congress support, they will try and polute your childrens minds, so come give us more money".

They even had people go on Sikh Forums and spread lies. I mean, come on, how pathetic can you be?

I don't believe the Sikh Channel will ever work with Sangat Trust, or anybody else, because its all about "WHO IS IN POWER", who is leaving a lasting legacy.

Its like Gurdwarey, There is only one Guru, yet so many Gurdwarey are popping up, committe member has a fight, they go and start their own Gurdwara, why?

Money, POWER, NAME.

These are the same people who are behind the channels, they don't care about the Gurdwarey, you really believe they will do anything different with a TV Channel?

I would love a situation where they would put their egos aside and work together, will this happen?

Look at our Gurdwaras in India, that Jatherdar doesn't like that Jatherdar, what a bloody joke.

Do they "care" about the so called Panth.

This pattern is seen in Gurdwaras, Sikh Beliefs, AKJ, Snatan Sikhs, Taksalis, etc, etc.

Answer is NO, because they are not Sikhs, simples.

At the end of the day, its only a TV Channel, nothing more.

We only need Sat Guru Granth Sahib Ji and thats it, everything else is a waste.

I dont really know about Mr Bals internal thoughts or who thought about the idea first , you will read numerous accounts of peoples views some for and some against .... that is irrelevant.... but sadly it is in todays society

The point being a sikh channel has opened , ( your last sentence about believing Sir Guru Grant Sahib Ji hits the nail on the head) How many of us really follow or believe what Sir Guru Granth Sahib is teaching us , one being forgive and forget / work together ) I know nothing just a fool who would like to see the Sikh community especially the so called leaders work together and not create their own niche , their own agenda . Yes the channel to start off with was a bit wishy washy but in my view was quite good , good to see something about SIkhism being portrayed to the sangat , and time and time again they requested for sangats help. The personal clashes with Mr Bal I dont know to be honest am not interested in , but sadly that is what drives the community hence so many Gurudawaras and now channels opening