Rememberance : The Sikh Story

DSG

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ke Fateh

Piaree Sadh sangat Ji , just to share with you

Quote from text I received

Tomorrow 9th November 2010 BBC1 is showing a documentary at 11:20pm about Sikh sacrifices for this democracy and freedom we live in based on the 2 world wars "

who else watched it?

I liked really enjoyed it...the ending with the Historian saying about respect was a really good point and was really good.

One thing I thought they could have done was shown the picture of the singhs with Maharaj's bir walkign through the desert, as one of the singhs in the doc talked about praying and that would have been good to use, anyway it was good! thumbs up.

Any other views on the doc?

not a big fan of the very few BBC documentaries on sikhs that have been made as thus far they've been biased. this one was ok, but dont expect anything else positive to come out of the BBC. waste of our taxes !!

much of it was promoting sikhs joining the british army. but remember fighting for unjust wars is not sikh. the khalsa army has always been distinct and even during Mahraja Ranjit Singh's reign only joined in wars which served the common good.

being used as a puppet to fight for oil and natural resources on behalf of corporations and securing their interests is what the army is about these days..

Edited by Parchand

VJKK VJKF

I was sent this link yesterday but for some reason it isn't working for people living outside the UK :S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vys5t/Remembrance_The_Sikh_Story/

That's because their IP address is linked to their geographic location - so when they navigate to the BBC site, the site knows this and blocks access.

Root reason is that British people pay for the license fee and people outside UK should not see BBC's content.

Try this:

http://www.sikhroots.com/video/tv/viewvideo/274/television-programmes/remembrance--the-sikh-story-bbc

That's because their IP address is linked to their geographic location - so when they navigate to the BBC site, the site knows this and blocks access.

Root reason is that British people pay for the license fee and people outside UK should not see BBC's content.

Try this:

http://www.sikhroots.com/video/tv/viewvideo/274/television-programmes/remembrance--the-sikh-story-bbc

Hmm okay.. Danke schön :)

Overall, it just appeared to be a prolonged army recruitment piece to me.

Edited by dalsingh101

I watched it again, and now I do agree about the army recruitment.

The scary thing is that a good percentage of apnay would watch it and never even remotely twig on to its agenda. Just shows you how easily apnay can get manipulated by flattery.

They say, no one is more ਪਿਆਰ ਦੇ ਭੁੱਖੇ then apnay. Goray know this and switch on the charm when they want to use us.

I thought it was very light in content and had a general brush over , I still didnt understand as to why Sikhs / indian army helped Britain other than Britain calling for help. It would have been good for the pilot ( Mr Pujji) to be asked why he helped , whether given an option by the army or an order or personal thing ( unless I missed it on the documentary :blink: )

One positive , I was watching the documentary (Ithink it was all about the right timing) , my son 5yrs came from school with a poppy , and started to tell me about people fighting in the war and it was to remember them etc....

then I showed him the documentary ( bits of it) in particular Sikh soldiers with Turbans , Sikh Pilots ... he was amazed and felt proud . B)

Just be careful he doesn't internalise joining the army and follow it blindly when he is older DSG. Kids are extremely susceptible to suggestion at that age. Hell some of our simple minded adults are also the same.

We need our critical facilities to analyse the murky politics around us more than ever.