Argument Ends With Calgary Man Murdering His Wife In Punjab:

http://www.canada.com/news/Calgary+husband+charged+Punjab+murder/4461014/story.html?

A Calgary man has been charged with murder in India after his wife was killed days after their son's wedding, according to police and media reports out of that country.

Gurdial Singh, who has reportedly lived with his wife and family in Calgary for about a year, also allegedly injured a son who tried to help his mother following a fight in a village in Punjab, police said.

The 57-year-old man and his wife, Ranjit Kaur, 55, were arguing at a home in the village of Raipur early Wednesday morning, police said, when Gurdial Singh allegedly used a kirpan to slit his wife's throat.

"It was suddenly, and it was over some property matters and domestic problems," Hoshiarpur police Insp. Paramjeet Singh said Thursday. "He ran away from the scene of the crime and he is arrested now and in police custody."

Calgary police said they have been advised of the case and are prepared to assist foreign authorities.

Raipur is 15 kilometres from Hoshiarpur, in the northeastern corner of the state of Punjab.

Members of Calgary's Sikh community say the allegations are shocking. "There are many ways to kill somebody, but this kind of brutality is very rare in the Sikh community," said Dalel Thiara, past-president of the Sikh Society of Calgary.

"The way she died is very sad and shocking and violent."

Thiara, 75, said he doesn't know the family involved, but he has relatives who live in the village where the incident occurred and some of them attended the wedding -which was in a neighbouring village.

"They were at the wedding on March 11. It was an arranged marriage and they said the marriage went well."

Thiara said Raipur is an agricultural village of about 1,000 people.

It's not clear why the couple argued. Some reports out of India say they were fighting over why Gurdial's in-laws were left off the wedding guest list, but police did not confirm that to the Herald. Other reports say the husband was upset that the family wanted him to sell his land.

The India Times reported the family arrived in Punjab on March 1 for the wedding of their younger son, Gurvinder. An older son, Kamaljit, was injured in the fight. Family members reportedly told police that Kamaljit lived in Canada for seven years. His parents and other family members migrated to Canada last year.

dtetley@calgaryherald.com

http://www.canada.com/news/Calgary+husband+charged+Punjab+murder/4461014/story.html?

A Calgary man has been charged with murder in India after his wife was killed days after their son's wedding, according to police and media reports out of that country.

Gurdial Singh, who has reportedly lived with his wife and family in Calgary for about a year, also allegedly injured a son who tried to help his mother following a fight in a village in Punjab, police said.

The 57-year-old man and his wife, Ranjit Kaur, 55, were arguing at a home in the village of Raipur early Wednesday morning, police said, when Gurdial Singh allegedly used a kirpan to slit his wife's throat.

"It was suddenly, and it was over some property matters and domestic problems," Hoshiarpur police Insp. Paramjeet Singh said Thursday. "He ran away from the scene of the crime and he is arrested now and in police custody."

Calgary police said they have been advised of the case and are prepared to assist foreign authorities.

Raipur is 15 kilometres from Hoshiarpur, in the northeastern corner of the state of Punjab.

Members of Calgary's Sikh community say the allegations are shocking. "There are many ways to kill somebody, but this kind of brutality is very rare in the Sikh community," said Dalel Thiara, past-president of the Sikh Society of Calgary.

"The way she died is very sad and shocking and violent."

Thiara, 75, said he doesn't know the family involved, but he has relatives who live in the village where the incident occurred and some of them attended the wedding -which was in a neighbouring village.

"They were at the wedding on March 11. It was an arranged marriage and they said the marriage went well."

Thiara said Raipur is an agricultural village of about 1,000 people.

It's not clear why the couple argued. Some reports out of India say they were fighting over why Gurdial's in-laws were left off the wedding guest list, but police did not confirm that to the Herald. Other reports say the husband was upset that the family wanted him to sell his land.

The India Times reported the family arrived in Punjab on March 1 for the wedding of their younger son, Gurvinder. An older son, Kamaljit, was injured in the fight. Family members reportedly told police that Kamaljit lived in Canada for seven years. His parents and other family members migrated to Canada last year.

dtetley@calgaryherald.com

these are my relatives and i dont wanna give personal details but the above report is rubbish. The only truth is that Gurdial Singh did kill his wife. The reasons are yet to come out.

"There are many ways to kill somebody, but this kind of brutality is very rare in the Sikh community," said Dalel Thiara, past-president of the Sikh Society of Calgary.

This is bollocks I reckon. We've even had a similar murder like this in my extended family.

Anyway, you rarely make positive contributions from what I read of your posts these days, unless you consider blaming Muslims for all and sundry, a positive contribution.

You do make very positive contributions Dal Singh Ji, but sometimes you do what you blame Tony for, and blame jatts for all and sundry as well.

This case is nothing to do anyone being jatts or whatnot, it was a tragic event. Media have tried to find an angle for the killing with all kinds of wild speculation as usual. This case is not normal in just "jatt world", but all over in all communities, in all religions.

but sometimes you do what you blame Tony for, and blame jatts for all and sundry as well.

I don't believe so. There are certain specific problems that I believe stem from Jatts who are more preoccupied with trying to preserve jatt fortunes rather than wider Sikh ones. Also the surreptitious drive to preserve Jatt culture at the expense of development and progression of a more progressive Sikh one.

That's what I hold them responsible for. I don't blame them for everything but yes a lot of crap does seem to stem from them these days. They are like Tony Blair, trying to cling on to power long after he has made a mess of things.

In the meanwhile they have turned the Sikh homeland of Panjab into a cesspit.

Edited by dalsingh101

In the meanwhile they have turned the Sikh homeland of Panjab into a cesspit.

They werent alone in that venture. This is a more complicated thing than you think. All communities Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs, and jatts and chamars, and brahmans and bania's all have a hand in turning panjab into a cesspit. Not Jatts alone, or Sikhs alone.

Who cares who's too blame, lets just sort the place out and crush anyone who gets in the way.

Don't you get that the first people we'll have to 'crush' to do this come from amongst us and have backward, deceptive, self serving attitudes as part of their 'culture'.

Don't you get that the first people we'll have to 'crush' to do this come from amongst us and have backward, deceptive, self serving attitudes as part of their 'culture'.

Uhhhh, by saying those who get in the way of self improvement make themselves targets how was I not getting that the backward types are one of many people we will have to deal with 'first'.

They werent alone in that venture. This is a more complicated thing than you think. All communities Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs, and jatts and chamars, and brahmans and bania's all have a hand in turning panjab into a cesspit. Not Jatts alone, or Sikhs alone.

You can't ignore the fact that certain people have pretty much had an unchallenged monopoly over Sikh institutes and leadership in Panjab for a long time now (I'm talking post partition). They are Jatt Sikhs, and they like to mouth off as being thekadars of the panth. Well, we can all see where their 'thekedari' has brought us to now. These people want to make out like they are natural leaders and whatnot and then deny culpability when they screw things up - and that too monumentally.

Sardars my arse.

Absolutely no ability to critically reflect on themselves either.

If they were only bringing about their own demise, no one would care a hoot, but no, they have drag everyone around them down too.

You can't ignore the fact that certain people have pretty much had an unchallenged monopoly over Sikh institutes and leadership in Panjab for a long time now (I'm talking post partition). They are Jatt Sikhs, and they like to mouth off as being thekadars of the panth. Well, we can all see where their 'thekedari' has brought us to now. These people want to make out like they are natural leaders and whatnot and then deny culpability when they screw things up - and that too monumentally.

Sardars my arse.

Absolutely no ability to critically reflect on themselves either.

If they were only bringing about their own demise, no one would care a hoot, but no, they have drag everyone around them down too.

And what about Sikhs outside Punjab? Is Sikhism is in very good shape outside Punjab? Most of the institutes of Sikhs are dominated by non Jatts Yet there is no positive sign for Sikhism.5000-7000 Sikhs were killed in various states in 1984 riots yet Sikhs living their did nothing to get justice.In few years they forgot what happened and started their routine life.The image of Sikh cities is more like Lala who's pocket is filled with money.

To be honest No community among Punjabi's did anything good for Sikhism.No Doubts jatts did really a bad job

but other communities have not done anything good either.

And what about Sikhs outside Punjab? Is Sikhism is in very good shape outside Punjab? Most of the institutes of Sikhs are dominated by non Jatts Yet there is no positive sign for Sikhism.5000-7000 Sikhs were killed in various states in 1984 riots yet Sikhs living their did nothing to get justice.In few years they forgot what happened and started their routine life.The image of Sikh cities is more like Lala who's pocket is filled with money.

To be honest No community among Punjabi's did anything good for Sikhism.No Doubts jatts did really a bad job

but other communities have not done anything good either.

Before any other place we need to look at the place which is our homeland and where we form a majority. It's a central hub.

Sikhs have more chance of influence there than elsewhere.

Edited by dalsingh101

You lot are missing the point about the difference between what goes on in the very heartland of Sikhs, where one would presume their religious doctrine would hold sway and other satellite communities, where Sikhs form a minority amongst larger groups and are thus likely to be influence by them.

You are missing the point. If corruption is an inherent Jat characteristic as you incessantly propagate then these institutes dominated by non-Jats would be corruption free.

No you're just (again) trying to side step the responsibility your own people have with the current state of Sikhdom.

I don't care very much about very recently created 'institutes' that serve some minority communities that may well be corrupted. I would go as far as to say 'institutes' like the one in Delhi was probably propped up and supported by outsiders for the very purpose of weakening the hold of SGPC and to keep it from putting it's tentacles outside of Panjab for political reasons and to prevent certain fat farmers getting even more golak money. In effect this has just given us an alternative (new) form of corruption in these satellites communities to the one that emanates from Panjab. Thus those new 'institutes' were conceived in corruption. The difference is that the Punjab Jatt issue goes to the heart of (relatively) ancient institutes and has a knock on effect on all Sikhs. The institutes they infect are actually ones that our Gurus' instigated and were born in purity.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say this is a nuanced difference. People not seeing it must either be 1) dumb ass or 2) purposefully ignoring it.

Edited by dalsingh101

After thought:

Look in the end, we either love our jaat more than our faith, or love our faith more than our jaat. If you're being real, you can't deny we are swimming in problems in our homeland. The way the infamous Jat insularity has manifested itself in Panjabi Sikh institutes is unhealthy and causing many problems. I'm not saying that once upon a time Jats did not do sterling service in military terms for the Sikh cause, but like all man made things, they too are subject to entropy (here defined as the inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society).

Don't be like a Roman acting like all is dandy when Rome falls apart around him.

It is time for change. It is time for progression. That much should be patently obvious to even the most dimwitted of Sikhs.

The only question that remains (in my opinion) is how, on a very personal level, we chose to position ourselves in relation to this.

Don't be another decaying part of a stagnant, corrupt cesspool. Help bring about positive progressive change to our people. Live the egalitarian principles.

If you don't, how do you expect to be forgiven, in both the material and spiritual world?

Edited by dalsingh101