Is The Word 'scripture' Acceptable For Bani?

When translating do people think it is acceptable to use the word 'scripture' for bani?

Opinions appreciated.

i do not think it is acceptable. Scripture means writing or an inscription. It originally refered to the written word, it is derived from scribe which meant write down.Later the word scripture became associated with the Christian Bible. Bani means Word. Or more accurately the act of speaking a word. When a word is spoken air is expelled that is why in sanskrit Vaani is derived from Vaa which means to blow e.g. Nirvaan which means 'to blow out'. Baani means a living word something that is spoken and made real. Scripture is dead writing which no one understands anymore. If Baani turns into scripture it will be a very very Sad day for me.

i do not think it is acceptable. Scripture means writing or an inscription. It originally refered to the written word, it is derived from scribe which meant write down.Later the word scripture became associated with the Christian Bible. Bani means Word. Or more accurately the act of speaking a word. When a word is spoken air is expelled that is why in sanskrit Vaani is derived from Vaa which means to blow e.g. Nirvaan which means 'to blow out'. Baani means a living word something that is spoken and made real. Scripture is dead writing which no one understands anymore. If Baani turns into scripture it will be a very very Sad day for me.

I get you and share your sentiments.

That being said, when translating one sometimes has to use the lexicon that readers will understand relating to their own knowledge.

'Scripture' could never encompass what I personally believe bani to be. I imagine it's the same for many Sikhs.

Very interesting. However for day to day superficial use with your Joe Average I still believe that Scripture is the best terminology out there.

Conversing with other scholars, theologians, sadh-lok etc then your deeper stuff comes into its own.

The scribe of bani is bhai gurdas ji during guru arjan dev ji time who wrote sri adi granth this bir was written down again and again lost and redictated by sri guru gobind singh as damdami bir. It has be scribed by baba deep singh, written down by many people.