Cooking With Achaar (Pickle) - Anyone Ever Try It?

I saw a vid a while ago when the cook put a spoon full of achaar into the dish during cooking.

Anyone here use achaar in dishes in this way? Care to share?

Edited by dalsingh101

No, I've never tried that, but then again I can't cook.

I only have achaar with my roti and paronthey.

try it sometime.

or when making the atta for roti add a bit of the oil juices from achar to the flour. See how it tastes to you. The oil will also slightly soften to the roti.

If you can't cook. You need to find a hubby who can.

Cough, cough(DalSingh does seem a dab hand in the kitchen) Cough, cough

try it sometime.

or when making the atta for roti add a bit of the oil juices from achar to the flour. See how it tastes to you. The oil will also slightly soften to the roti.

If you can't cook. You need to find a hubby who can.

Cough, cough(DalSingh does seem a dab hand in the kitchen) Cough, cough

Joke of the century! Haha.

On a serious note, I think cooking is very boring. Everyone around me keep telling me how fascinating coking is, but I don't think I will ever like being in a kitchen cooking 3 meals a day. Sigh! I like baking cakes though.

In 2006 I made a fool out of myself at Seven Kings Gurdwara in East London because I couldn't make rotiyaan. It's been 5 years now, and I still can't make them, lol.

Joke of the century! Haha.

On a serious note, I think cooking is very boring. Everyone around me keep telling me how fascinating coking is, but I don't think I will ever like being in a kitchen cooking 3 meals a day. Sigh! I like baking cakes though.

In 2006 I made a fool out of myself at Seven Kings Gurdwara in East London because I couldn't make rotiyaan. It's been 5 years now, and I still can't make them, lol.

In future just move to India and purchase a house near Dhaba all your problems will be solved.These days my mom has developed pain in hand so my dad keep saying go and get rotiyaan from dhaba.

That is just taking the the piss! What kind of women are you? 5 years!

Plus how comes so many men like to cook but the women are like "groan, groan, groan" about it?

Edited by dalsingh101

Plus how comes so many men like to cook but the women are like "groan, groan, groan" about it?

Is it any wonder that people of Punjab say" eh baharon aaye hain" to NRI's and give them special treatment

Kdsingh, I don't want to live in India, but in the UK (London and B'ham) there are Indian restaurants everywhere. That might be a solution, lol.

Dalsingh, 3 words: it is boring! + I never paid attention to roti/daal/sabji classes in my mom's kitchen. I've made roti 3 times in my life! Disasters all three times. I will learn it when time comes near :/

Suryadev, cakes are so easy compared to roti and daal. Or maybe it's because I have no interest in cooking.

You have to say. Panjabi cooking can be pretty easy. Once you master how to make a turka, which isn't rocket science in itself.

Then you just throw in whatever you want to cook, vegetables or meat and cook for specific amount of time.

Edited by dalsingh101

I can make turka. You don't need a ph.d. in brain surgery to make that. I can make samose, pakore, tikki-aan, rice, aloo gobi and other sabjis too. I just find it boring.

P.s. I'm glad you said turka and not tarka.

Edited by G.Kaur

I can make turka. You don't need a ph.d. in brain surgery to make that. I can make samose, pakore, tikki-aan, rice, aloo gobi and other sabjis too. I just find it boring.

P.s. I'm glad you said turka and not tarka.

Your posts give me shock ,you can make cake,samose ,pakore ,but you cannot make rotiyaan :o

It looks you only make difficult dishes.Anyway Life itself is boring many time god forces you to do work which you don't like

Your posts give me shock ,you can make cake,samose ,pakore ,but you cannot make rotiyaan :o

It looks you only make difficult dishes.Anyway Life itself is boring many time god forces you to do work which you don't like

Exactly. That's why I said I will start learning when the right time comes :)

Dal, you don't need to worry about me and my roti skills.

Just make sure the woman you're going to get married to can make you rotiyaan, daal and sabji.

Dal, you don't need to worry about me and my roti skills.

I'm not worrying. I'm just making a general point. A lot of 'modern' women seem to think they are degraded by cooking. Some just find it boring.

That being said, apnay people really do need to get clued up about nutrition and cooking in the west because sometimes it just seems like half of the stuff they put in food here is killing you or making you prone to some disease in some way or another!?!? lol

Just make sure the woman you're going to get married to can make you rotiyaan, daal and sabji.

Yeah, then my life will be so much better........

I'm not worrying. I'm just making a general point. A lot of 'modern' women seem to think they are degraded by cooking. Some just find it boring.

That being said, apnay people really do need to get clued up about nutrition and cooking in the west because sometimes it just seems like half of the stuff they put in food here is killing you or making you prone to some disease in some way or another!?!? lol

Yes, maybe you could teach us. I'm looking forward to Dal's cooking classes!

Yeah, then my life will be so much better........

Yeah just wait and see...

Yes, maybe you could teach us. I'm looking forward to Dal's cooking classes!

Why reinvent the wheel! Use this guy:

Yeah just wait and see...

I'd rather not....

Edited by dalsingh101

On a serious note, Punjabis need to learn that it is not good and/or healthy to be fat and they need to start thinking what they put in their pateelay. In most homes it's too much oil, butter, salt and other unhealthy ingredients which can lead to cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes and apoplexy, just to mention a few.

On a serious note, Punjabis need to learn that it is not good and/or healthy to be fat and they need to start thinking what they put in their pateelay. In most homes it's too much oil, butter, salt and other unhealthy ingredients which can lead to cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes and apoplexy, just to mention a few.

True. Almost every Punjabi family has at least one member who has diabetes(which they call "shoogar" in Punjabi).

• 3 weeks later...

I was just browsing the net and found this interesting article. Our people could learn something from it

Suspended Animation….My Heart Attack

http://www.the-nri.com/index.php/2011/02/suspended-animation-my-heart-attack/

Interesting article.

You should create new threads for this type of stuff in the health section.

I guess the unequivocal message from multiple sources is that if you are of Indian descent - you are a walking heart attack waiting to happen.....

Thing is we don't even have people doing medical R&D with an emphasis on our own unique needs as brown folk! It can't help that the strategy for dealing with this in the west seems to be slightly altering the majority white strategy a bit!

We have so many 'Asian' doctors, we need specific research to identify and combat our own unique predispositions.