Hukam And Grammar In Japji Sahib

Hello folks. A question for the knowledgeable.

When we read this well known pauri of Japji Sahib we get a number of variants on the word 'hukam' or divine order (see below).

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਿਨ ਆਕਾਰ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਕਿਹਆ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਿਨ ਜੀਅ ਹੁਕਿਮ ਿਮਲੈ ਵਿਡਆਈ ॥

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਉਤਮੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਹੁਕਿਮ ਿਲਿਖ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਈਅਿਹ ॥ ਇਕਨਾ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਇਿਕ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸਦਾ

ਭਵਾਈਅਿਹ ॥

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਿਰ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਿਰ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥

So we seem to have the following. Can anyone help pinpoint the differences between each for us? From my (woefully inadequate) understanding (and I'm likely to be way off here, so be warned and ready to correct!),

1 maybe a female noun?

2 I don;t know.

3 is a verb

and 4 is possibly a male plural noun?

Please share knowledge.

1) ਹੁਕਮੀ

2) ਹੁਕਿਮ

3) ਹੁਕਮੈ

4) ਹੁਕਮੁ

• 2 weeks later...

the first hukmee means God the commander , one who gives hukam. The second should be a sihari at the end which means by the hukam . The third means the hukam and is in agreement with the word andar. The last is usually an adjective and the vowel is used for agreement. For example in english we have boys books

the boys book and in punjabi adjectives agree to change with verbs. Its all grammer and roots . hope this helps.

the first hukmee means God the commander , one who gives hukam. The second should be a sihari at the end which means by the hukam . The third means the hukam and is in agreement with the word andar. The last is usually an adjective and the vowel is used for agreement. For example in english we have boys books

the boys book and in punjabi adjectives agree to change with verbs. Its all grammer and roots . hope this helps.

Thank you sister. Let's see if I get this right:

1) ਹੁਕਮੀ - the first hukmee means God the commander , one who gives hukam - okay this makes sense, as in 'kathee' is the one who gives the katha.

2) ਹੁਕਿਮ - The second should be a sihari at the end which means by the hukam . - Okay, I get it, with the siharee it means 'hukam nal'

3) ਹੁਕਮੈ - The third means the hukam and is in agreement with the word andar - Can you explain this one a bit more? Has hukam here been altered to agree with the gender of andar? I've got the impression that a dolaanva at the end of a word most often reflects a verb?

4) ਹੁਕਮੁ - The last is usually an adjective and the vowel is used for agreement. - Is this as in the noun it has to agree with is a male singular, and thus the adjective reflects this?

yup :)

i think for teh one with the doulav- its like punjabi we say ghar jana or kithe hai main gharai (with 2lav) hai

main schoolai hai main kamtai hai -

the last one i need to know the tukh but most pecent of the time a aunkur at the end is pure gramattical gimme the tukh n i can tell u for sure

• 1 year later...

I think the spiritual meaning is far more important than grammar thats why when you listen to Gurbani but do not read it

you find that the spiritual meaning has the highest impact. I suppose thats why Sri Guru Jee emphasized - gavho, sunho and then paroh nit bhai (Sri Guru Ganth Page 611)

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਆਕਾਰ - ਹੁਕਮ ਦੇ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਆਕਾਰ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਇਥੇ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਨੂੰ ਬਿੰਦੀ ਲਗਾ ਬੋਲਨਾ ਹੈ. It means THROUGH Hukam. Here it does not stand for Hukmee the God. Here it means Hukmeen, THROUGH Hukam.