Panj Shabad Help Please

das

According to my understanding, panj shabads are just pointers/reference points which are meant to be used as aids and meant to naturally point seeker/transcendent seeker towards ultimate reality given the fact egoistic preconditioned, idiolized self does not come in a way and does not end up wrapping his/her head around it and making that into another road block or hindrance.

Sant maharaj in atamik vichar tape clearly mentioned- dasam dvar, anhad shabad are just reference points/pointers not the final destination.

In fact so much so, in ishvar amalok lal - in gyan marg/jnana-self enquiry quest path these things are not required or mentioned .... one does not have to go through path of anhad shabad/ dasam dwara.

NEO veer ji, i don't believe they are so insignificant and such a small feat as you may be making out. Gurbani mentions the anhads quite alot. I wouldn't be so quick to down play them.

Subduing egotism, the rigid doors are opened.

ha-umai maar bajar kapaat khulaa-i-aa

The Priceless Naam is obtained by Guru`s Grace.

naam amolak gur parsaadee paa-i-aa.

Without the Shabad, the Naam is not obtained. By Guru`s Grace, it is implanted within the mind. ||2||

bin sabdai naam na paa-ay ko-ee gur kirpaa man vasaavani-aa. ||2||

Deep within, the Divine Light has dawned, and the darkness of ignorance has been dispelled.

antar chaanan agi-aan anDhayr gavaa-i-aa.

My light has merged into the Light; my mind has surrendered, and I am blessed with Glory in the Court of the Lord.

jotee jot milee man maani-aa har dar sobhaa paavni-aa.

Sitting in that place, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord forever, and be absorbed in the True Word of the Shabad.

bais suthaan sad har gun gaavai sachai sabad samaavani-aa.

Those who close off the nine gates, and restrain the wandering mind,

na-o dar thaakay Dhaavat rahaa-ay.

come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.

dasvai nij ghar vaasaa paa-ay.

There, the Unstruck Melody of the Shabad vibrates day and night. Through the Guru`s Teachings, the Shabad is heard.

othai anhad sabad vajeh din raatee gurmatee sabad sunaavni-aa.

The key is in the hands of the True Guru; no one else can open this door. By perfect destiny, He is met.

satgur hath kunjee horat dar khulai naahee gur poorai bhaag milaavani-aa.

When the body dies, where does the soul go?

pind moo-ai jee-o kih ghar jaataa.

It is absorbed into the untouched, unstruck melody of the Word of the Shabad.

sabad ateet anaahad raataa.

He is the Giver of blessings, the treasure of all comforts; His Ambrosial Pool of Nectar is always overflowing. Pause

mansaa kaa daataa sabh sukh niDhaan amrit sar sad hee bharpooraa. rahaa-o

One who enshrines His Lotus Feet within the heart,

charan kamal rid antar Dhaaray

meets the Beloved Lord; the Divine Light is revealed to him.

pargatee jot milay raam pi-aaray.

The five companions have met together to sing the songs of joy.

panch sakhee mil mangal gaa-i-aa

The unstruck melody, the sound current of the Naad, vibrates and resounds.

anhad banee naad vajaa-i-aa.

O Nanak, when the Guru is totally pleased, one meets the Lord, the King.

gur naanak tuthaa mili-aa har raa-ay.

When the Lord of the Universe reveals Himself, and the unstruck melody of the sound current vibrates, the drama of wondrous splendor is enacted.

govind gaajay anhad vaajay achraj sobh banaa-ee.

Prays Nanak, shower Your Mercy upon me, O Lord, that I might dwell at Your Lotus Feet.

binvant naanak Dhaar kirpaa har charan kamal nivaaso.

There is bliss and ecstasy there always, and the unstruck celestial melody resounds there.

tah anad binod sadaa anhad jhunkaaro raam.

I have obtained the nine treasures, congratulations are pouring in, and the unstruck melody resounds.

na-o niDh paa-ee vajee vaaDhaa-ee vaajay anhad tooray.

Says Nanak, I have found my Husband Lord within my own home, and all my anxiety is forgotten.

kaho naanak mai var ghar paa-i-aa mayray laathay jee sagal visooray.

Prays Nanak, happiness comes from devotional worship of the Naam; at His Door, the unstruck melody resounds.

binvant naanak sukh naam bhagtee dar vajeh anhad vaajay.

N30 bhaji, could you please share the page number of Baba's diary as well as the audio file name/path of BabaJi's Atmik Bachan where he mentioned that one doesn't have to go through dasam-dawar etc.

I don't think (based upon the deewans, bachans, and diary of Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji Rara Sahib) that he meant that. My understanding is that: The 5 Shabads/Sounds is NOT the destination but still one has to go through them and it is not easily obtained. One has to progress using these sounds; just like we use ladder/lift/crane to climb the roof; once on roof we don't need those modes. But at the same time, we cannot underplay the role of ladder.

Everyone has to go to God via dasam dwar but one can choose different paths: Chakras (here Babaji has mentioned that one does not need to go through these chakras), Bhagti etc. I remember reading or hearing in one of the Baba's deewan when he mentioned that when Jathedar (Jathedar Sant Baba Mahinder Singh Ji) heard the sounds of dolke and channe he was scared and come out of the tent to verify if there was anyone playing outside.

Also, as per my thinking, some people do mix these "Panj Shabads" with 5 sounds of elements/tattvas. Hearing the sounds of 5 elements might be easier and not worth going after BUT the Panj Shabads are of much greater importance and one HAS to go through these.

Just hearing different sounds from right ear does not mean that one is hearing Panj Shabad. Panj Shabad is heard after very high kamai and one. Panj Shabad is heard once anyone crosses the 3 worlds (Pind, Aand, Brahmund) of Kaal/Maya. In other words, these Panj Shabads are heard in fourth state. Panj Shabad is heard once one is free from the 3 qualities of Maya.

Tuks showing that hearing "Panj Shabad" is not an easy task and is obtained with Guru's grace.

ਪੰਨਾ 1315
ਪੰਚੇ ਸਬਦ ਵਜੇ ਮਤਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਅਨਹਦੁ ਵਜਿਆ ॥
ਆਨਦ ਮੂਲੁ ਰਾਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਗੋਵਿਦੁ ਗਜਿਆ ॥

Tuks showing it's hard to get

ਪੰਨਾ 1350
ਤਤੁ ਤੇਲੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੀਆ ਬਾਤੀ ਦੀਪਕੁ ਦੇਹ ਉਜ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਰਾ ॥
ਜੋਤਿ ਲਾਇ ਜਗਦੀਸ ਜਗਾਇਆ ਬੂਝੈ ਬੂਝਨਹਾਰਾ ॥੨॥
ਪੰਚੇ ਸਬਦ ਅਨਾਹਦ ਬਾਜੇ ਸੰਗੇ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਨੀ ॥

Tuks showing at what stage it is heard

ਪੰਨਾ 765
ਵੀਵਾਹੁ ਹੋਆ ਸੋਭ ਸੇਤੀ ਪੰਚ ਸਬਦੀ ਆਇਆ ॥
here marriage is between Soul and God

Tuks showing that what comes with the Panj Shabad; If we cannot have all of the following then it means that we still have not heard the Panj Shabad; we might be hearing other sounds (from upper planes) but definately NOT from the Sachkhand. Janam-Maran is destroyed once we're out of 3 worlds, but still there is lot to travel (especially the Sunn area where Panj Shabad is the ONLY divine word which would help us) in order to be in Sachkhand.

ਪੰਨਾ 888
ਪੰਚ ਸਬਦ ਤਹ ਪੂਰਨ ਨਾਦ ॥
ਅਨਹਦ ਬਾਜੇ ਅਚਰਜ ਬਿਸਮਾਦ ॥
ਕੇਲ ਕਰਹਿ ਸੰਤ ਹਰਿ ਲੋਗ ॥
ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪੂਰਨ ਨਿਰਜੋਗ ॥੧॥
ਸੂਖ ਸਹਜ ਆਨੰਦ ਭਵਨ ॥
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਬੈਸਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਤਹ ਰੋਗ ਸੋਗ ਨਹੀ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਊਹਾ ਸਿਮਰਹਿ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮੁ ॥
ਬਿਰਲੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਓਹੁ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥
ਭੋਜਨੁ ਭਾਉ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਆਧਾਰੁ ॥
ਨਿਹਚਲ ਆਸਨੁ ਬੇਸੁਮਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
ਡਿਗਿ ਨ ਡੋਲੈ ਕਤਹੂ ਨ ਧਾਵੈ ॥
ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਕੋ ਇਹੁ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥

Edited by das

NEO veer ji, i don't believe they are so insignificant and such a small feat as you may be making out. Gurbani mentions the anhads quite alot. I wouldn't be so quick to down play them.

Thanks sat veerji..Sorry I don't mean to down play it but hoping to show reality as if caution is not paid by seekers like us (if one does not let or openly receptive towards spontaneous flow of panj shabad/ sehaj smadhi take over rest- point seeker towards transcendence) these things can be which are supposed to aids/'reference points can be easily confused with destination-comfort zone of seeker thats where true biraaga of seeker/mithiya dristhi comes in of seeker where nothing else matters accepting reality our true self- absolute reality. Bairaag and journey of shabad surat should be done hand in hand so that seeker is always grounded and keeping moving in longing for absolute reality.

das veer ji,

If you read ishvar amalok lal there are number of paths/quest reiterated which is accepted in gurmat- bhagti marg-yog, shabad surat marg, gyan-dhian marg. Basically in gurmat, they are all accepted/valid and they are not seperated thats beauty of it, they are all blended with each other as beautifully as sri guru arjan dev ji mahavak shalok- sargu nirgun nirankar sun smadhi aap apan kiya nanaka ape fer jaap.

One may see the above- bhagti incorporated in shabad surat, gyan dhian marg as stages or one may see them as cross linked paths..either way there are no set rules as such as one have to go through shabad surat marg - panj shabad or dasam dwara in order to get to destination. There are many mahapursh who have just done- dhian of shabad and get drawn to shabad dhian and gyan and reached the destination via dhian and gyan path..In dhian and gyan path of self enquiry- Man tu jot saroop hai apna mool painchain.one does not have go through reference points like panj shabad - om resosance/ong resosance or any other mantra resosance/dasam dwara..its not required. However, if seeker is automatically/naturally (natural is key word not enforced or struggle)..naturally feels drawn towards shabad surat, thats the path for them, main idea to make mind still and quiescent so absolute reality can reflect it and one realizes their mool saroop.

Where gurbani talking about panj shabad, dasam dwara its talks about shabad surat marg or an aspect of gurmat and not saying this is only way to get to bhram as updesh of gurbani is not confined to only one aspect but rather gurmat/gurbani updesh addresses all aspects of gurmat and guides seeker according to spiritual evolution of seeker/whatever seeker is drawn to- bhagti, shabad surat marg, gyan dhian marg.

das veer ji,

If you read ishvar amalok lal there are number of paths/quest reiterated which is accepted in gurmat- bhagti marg-yog, shabad surat marg, gyan-dhian marg. Basically in gurmat, they are all accepted/valid and they are not seperated thats beauty of it, they are all blended with each other as beautifully as sri guru arjan dev ji mahavak shalok- sargu nirgun nirankar sun smadhi aap apan kiya nanaka ape fer jaap.

One may see the above- bhagti incorporated in shabad surat, gyan dhian marg as stages or one may see them as cross linked paths..either way there are no set rules as such as one have to go through shabad surat marg - panj shabad or dasam dwara in order to get to destination. There are many mahapursh who have just done- dhian of shabad and get drawn to shabad dhian and gyan and reached the destination via dhian and gyan path..In dhian and gyan path of self enquiry- Man tu jot saroop hai apna mool painchain.one does not have go through reference points like panj shabad - om resosance/ong resosance or any other mantra resosance/dasam dwara..its not required. However, if seeker is automatically/naturally (natural is key word not enforced or struggle)..naturally feels drawn towards shabad surat, thats the path for them, main idea to make mind still and quiescent so absolute reality can reflect it and one realizes their mool saroop.

Where gurbani talking about panj shabad, dasam dwara its talks about shabad surat marg or an aspect of gurmat and not saying this is only way to get to bhram as updesh of gurbani is not confined to only one aspect but rather gurmat/gurbani updesh addresses all aspects of gurmat and guides seeker according to spiritual evolution of seeker/whatever seeker is drawn to- bhagti, shabad surat marg, gyan dhian marg.

Neo bhaji, I do agree with you in regards to what is mentioned in Baba Ji's diary. As per my understanding there are many ways/techniques (gurmat- bhagti marg-yog, shabad surat marg, gyan-dhian marg etc) to go to Waheguru but all of these techniques are meant to cross the khands/planes.

e.g If you want to get the seeds of apple, you may choose to shred the apple, cut the apple from center, cut the apple from top/bottom, cut the apple slice by slice......these are the ways/techniques (like gurmat- bhagti marg-yog, shabad surat marg, gyan-dhian marg) but in any chosen technique you have to go through from outer shell to inner shell.

Same way whatever way/technique (gurmat- bhagti marg-yog, shabad surat marg, gyan-dhian marg) we choose, eventually we have to cross all the layers of Material/Pind, Astral/Aand, Causal/Brahmand, Sunnn, and then reach Sachkhand. It's a different story that one can reach sachkhand directly from Pind or from Pind to Sunn or from Astral to Causal etc.

Dasam Dwar does represent the inner plane outside of Casual/Brahmund plane where one is beyond the reach of Mind/Maya. Saying that dasam dwar is a technique is not quite right unless you're taking about the Chakra technique. BabaJi did mention that in gurmat one does not have to go through the Chakra techniques as mentioned in Yoga.

Edited by das

Gurbani doesn't deny the chakras anywhere. Guru Nanak makes it known that chakras do not have to be activated or opened as per previous extreme postural yogic techniques. In gurmat the SHABAD will automatically open and align the chakras so that one reaches dasam duar.

Crown chakra is the dasam duar as far as I know, and without the door opening, I'm not sure how one would get to sachkhand.

Bhai Gurdas ji, vaar 1 pauri 2

ਪਉਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਬੈਸੰਤਰੋ ਚਉਥੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਈ।

Air, water, fire and earth was put together.

pauṇ pāṇī baisntarō chauthī dhartī saṅgi milāī .

ਪੰਚਮਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਕਾਸ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਛਟਮੁ ਅਦਿਸਟੁ ਸਮਾਈ।

The fifth element sky (void) was kept in between and creator God, the sixth one, invisibly permeated among all.

pañcmi vici ākāsu kari karatā chaṭmu adisṭu samāī .

ਪੰਚ ਤਤ ਪੰਚੀਸ ਗੁਨਿ ਸਤ੍ਰ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਬਣਾਈ।

To create the human body, five elements and twenty five qualities opposite to each other were joined and mixed.

pañc tat pañcīsi guni satr mitr mili dēhi baṇāī .

This 25 qualities number comes from the panj shabad joining with each of of the 5 elements, so 5 x 5=25.

ਖਾਣੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਚਲਿਤੁ ਕਰਿ ਆਵਾਗਉਣੁ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਦਿਖਾਈ।

Four life originating mines (egg foetus sweatborn , vegetation) and four speeches(para, pasyanti, madhyama, vaikhari) were assimiliated into each other and the drama of transmigration was enacted.

khāṇī bāṇī chlitu kari āvā gauṇu chrit dikhāī .

The same four speeches above( vaikhri,madhma,paysanti and para) in opposite order is the method we use with the air/pavan energy to go back into the mool of origin. Therefore,I can't understand how we can bypass the same panj primordial sounds ?

ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਲਖ ਜੋਨਿ ਉਪਾਈ ॥੨॥

Thus eighty four lacs of species were created.

churāsīh lakh jōni upāī ॥2॥

As far as I'm aware, we need the shabad sound current to carry our consciousness to the destination. This starts by a complete balancing of all our energies via chakras, sukhmana steadiness..etc.. and then finally to the Ghar of sachkhand.

Edited by Lucky

Bhai Gurdas ji, Vaar 6 pauri 10

ਸਬਦ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਲਿਵ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਪੰਚ ਸਬਦ ਇਕ ਸਬਦ ਮਿਲਾਏ।

The Gurmukh while immersing his meditational faculty in the Word listens to the Word alone even through the five types of sounds.

sabad surti liv sādhsaṅgi pañc sabad ik sabad milāē .

I understand this to be using the gurmantar of shabad along with panj shabad.

ਰਾਗ ਨਾਦ ਸੰਬਾਦ* ਲਖਿ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਭਾਉ ਸੁਭਾਉ ਅਲਾਏ।

Considering the ragas and nadas only as the medium, the Gurmukh discusses and recites with love.

rāg nād lakh sabad lakhi bhākhiā bhāu subhāu alāē .

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਧਿਆਨ ਧੁਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਜੰਤ੍ਰ੍ਰੀ ਜੰਤ੍ਰ* ਵਜਾਏ।

Only the Gurmukhs understand the melody of the knowledge of the supreme reality.

gurmukhi braham dhiānu dhuni jāṇai jantrī jantr vajāē .

ਅਕਥ ਕਥਾ ਵੀਚਾਰਕੈ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਵਰਜਿ ਰਹਾਏ।

The Sikhs ponder on the words of the Ineffable, and abstain from praise and blame.

akath kathā vīchāri kai ustati nidā varji rahāē .

There are many experiences which you can have during this path, however like Neo stated these do not reflect the end goal which can only be achieved through the grace of Maharaj, when he casts his glance upon you, everything will make sense.

Anhad shabad is indeed a magical and profound experience, wonderous and mind blowing, you can spend years at this stage, however the path to Maharaj is infinite and beant, without going further and leaving your current milestone you wont ever know whats next, your mind cannot even contemplate how great his leela is and what he will show you to divert you from the path to his door. Nothing should be held onto, nothing should be even desired, that is when everything is shown to you.

Things have been spoken of which some people will never experience, you cant even imagine what the things that havent been spoken of are like. Dont get bogged down into wanting a particular experience, you will never have it that way.

Make the correct effort with an innocent, childlike, unknowing sincerity and love in your heart, thats all that is required. The mysteries of the creator of the universes cannot be understood overnight, this is a lifelong journey - enjoy the scenery but keep moving with the hukam.

Can someone kindly explain the 3 different margs and how each approach differs?

Good question bro, according to my understanding, there are no really abstract organized form of three different margs (if we do that then we make divine journey rigid its not rigid nor its static its beautiful spontenous flow) and beside in sikhi is blended beautifully in sikhi however for understanding purpose we can break it down to three different margs...also at the end its whatever your drawn to- for eg- i tried shabad surat for 6 months, didn't work for me as i was more drawn and keeping getting drawn towards self enquiry/atam vichar/dhian-gian aspect..listen to inner voice- guidance- guru guides you through via inner voice/wisdom.

Anyway to keep in short:

Bhagti marg- where seeker uses bhagti aspects like kirtan, seva and surrender himself/herself-ego fully to guru then guru itself blesses seeker and join and merge seeker with him. I.e - bhai sham singh ji bhramgyani realized bhram via just kirtan, baba isher singh nanaksarwale got bhramgyan by fully surrending to his murshid- baba nand singh maharaj and by doing his seva.

Shabad surat marg- where seeker surti goes through many reference point stages- anhad shabad/dasam dwara and ultimately egoic perception/duality dies in shabad and let shabad gyan- awareness sponteneously take care of the rest- merge seeker in shabad gyan...shabad is pointer which point towards its gyan/mool roop which is vahiguroo- ultimate reality.

Dhian/ Gyan marg/aspect- where seeker starts a quest to know- Who am i with full honesty (not this not that going through layers of preconditioning and false identification of body and mind) and concentrate on gyan-awareness/ shabad gyan, for eg- dhian on mool mantra intial stages then seeking disappears along perception, perceptor , whats being perceived only thing remains is recongization and perception of ego disappears only thing remains is spontenous ultimate reality which is never static always moving but stillness in movement- full gyan saroop of Ikongkar:

Ik- One Ong- creative dynamic supreme consciousness Kar- never changing non dual reality pure existence awareness..!!
Ikongkar- One unmovable non dual pure still awareness which is always moving -dynamic and creating/perserving/destroying..!!
In buddhism, similiarly they call it always being always becoming.!!
GATE GATE PARA GATE PARASAM GATE BODHI SVAHA!"
"Going, going, going on beyond, always going on beyond, always becoming Buddha."

Ik0ngkar supreme reality is waiting for us to expereince itself in our own consciouness before we by pass ikongkar..!!

Whats common for seeker in all three margs, as maha singh said innocent children like devotion, bairaag, honesty, surrender of egoic perception/thoughts etc.

There are many experiences which you can have during this path, however like Neo stated these do not reflect the end goal which can only be achieved through the grace of Maharaj, when he casts his glance upon you, everything will make sense.

Anhad shabad is indeed a magical and profound experience, wonderous and mind blowing, you can spend years at this stage, however the path to Maharaj is infinite and beant, without going further and leaving your current milestone you wont ever know whats next, your mind cannot even contemplate how great his leela is and what he will show you to divert you from the path to his door. Nothing should be held onto, nothing should be even desired, that is when everything is shown to you.

Things have been spoken of which some people will never experience, you cant even imagine what the things that havent been spoken of are like. Dont get bogged down into wanting a particular experience, you will never have it that way.

Make the correct effort with an innocent, childlike, unknowing sincerity and love in your heart, thats all that is required. The mysteries of the creator of the universes cannot be understood overnight, this is a lifelong journey - enjoy the scenery but keep moving with the hukam.

Awesome post bro.