A Tail Of Love! Indian Teen Marries Stray Dog

OnPathToSikhi

A tail of love! Indian teen marries stray dog

September 3, 2014 | 10:34am

Modal Trigger

1/19

159129-8.jpg?w=839

Barcroft Media

An 18-year-old girl in India has taken a stray dog to be her paw-fully wedded husband, to have and to pet, from this day forward — or at least until her evil juju is gone!

Mangli Munda is from a remote village in the eastern Indian state of Jharkhand, where local elders threw together an extravagant wedding because a local guru convinced the teenager’s parents she was under an evil spell and that marrying a man would only bring destruction to the family and the community, Barcroft reports.

But the four-legged groom, named Sheru, may soon need a ceremony of his own because the canine will ultimately serve as a vessel for Munda’s misfortunes.

“I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog,” she said. “After that is done, the man I will marry will have a long life.”

Munda was not a happy camper when told she would have to wed Sheru, but she knew she would be following in the footsteps of her village peers, who were also forced to marry stray pooches.

“My villagers say that many girls like me have followed this ritual and they have gotten rid of their evil spells and are living happy lives now,” she said. “Many weddings like this have taken place in our village and also the other neighboring villages. This is a custom that we thoroughly believe in.”

Treating the dog as they would a man, the locals decked him out in ceremonial tribal garments and danced alongside him to traditional drumming.

“Apart from the fact that the groom is a dog, we followed all customs,” said Munda’s mother, Seems Devi. “We respect the dog as much as we would respect a normal groom.”

Around 70 members of Munda’s village and family attended the ceremony, which elders said was the only way Munda would be able to enjoy a harmonious life, according to Barcroft.

“We had to make sure that the evil spell is destroyed,” said Munda’s father, Sri Amnmunda. “And marrying a dog is the only way to get rid of the bad luck.”

Munda will now have to live with Sheru and raise him for the next few months, but luckily the marriage will not truly affect her love life because village customs say she is free to marry again without having to go through the hassle of a doggy divorce.

Now all she has to do is find the man of her dreams.

“I will marry a man one day,” she said. “It is the dream of every girl to marry a Prince Charming. So I am also waiting for my prince.”

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really sad and pathetic at the same time. What is surprising is that the "bride" seems to be in full agreement with this nonsense hoping the dog is going to take away her misfortunes.

I see this news in stark contrast with all the chest beating that is going on with the mars mission. Both these news put together have a spectrum highlighting india's racist mentality.

I wonder if there are any rules for the guys. I mean marry a guy to a rat maybe to take away the guys misfortunes? We have a few bahmans in the house. Let us check with them.

How do you claim this is part of Hinduism rituals ??? Can you quote any scriptures which address to this ritual ??? By the way Punjab has a good number of cases where cousins are married ..so should they then call it related to Sikhi ???

Hinduism and Hindustani andhviswas is the laughing stock of the world. The Bhamans on here fantasising about their slum infested country becoming a superpower should realise that this doggie-matrimony better represents the state of Hindustan than the cut price Mars mission.

Well doesn't the Indian establishment claim that these adivasis are Hindus and are listed as such in the Census. Don't the Hindu fascists conduct 'ghar wapsi' ceremonies to reconvert these adivasis if they convert to another religion. If it looks like a Hindu, worships dumb animals like a Hindu and weds a dog like a Hindu then it's a Hindu!!

They also claimed that Sikhs were Hindus until now by the way . So if there is one incident of a tribal Hindu following the customs of their society you would brand everyone as the same ?

An incident which shook Delhi was about child abuse and then cooking them for food. The accused is a Sikh ..so all Sikhs according to you must be pedophiles and cannibalistic ?

http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/pandher-moninder.htm

Well doesn't the Indian establishment claim that these adivasis are Hindus and are listed as such in the Census. Don't the Hindu fascists conduct 'ghar wapsi' ceremonies to reconvert these adivasis if they convert to another religion. If it looks like a Hindu, worships dumb animals like a Hindu and weds a dog like a Hindu then it's a Hindu!!

Edited by jaikaara

They also claimed that Sikhs were Hindus until now by the way . So if there is one incident of a tribal Hindu following the customs of their society you would brand everyone as the same ?

An incident which shook Delhi was about child abuse and then cooking them for food. The accused is a Sikh ..so all Sikhs according to you must be pedophiles and cannibalistic ?

http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/pandher-moninder.htm

You are wrong in your comparison here.

The pandher-moninder guy is a psychopath and a criminal and should be dealt with such.

The dog marriage is indicative of "acceptance" of a deep rooted bogus "cultural" system. The marriage is being performed in a wider community that is accepting this.

Edited by OnPathToSikhi

So in this case you should also have the Sikh community criticize Pandher ..was he given a tankhiya ? This also will be proved as acceptance according to your logic.

You are wrong in your comparison here.

The pandher-moninder guy is a psychopath and a criminal and should be dealt with such.

The dog marriage is indicative of "acceptance" of a deep rooted bogus "cultural" system. The marriage is being performed in a wider community that is accepting this.

So in this case you should also have the Sikh community criticize Pandher ..was he given a tankhiya ? This also will be proved as acceptance according to your logic.

Giving an insane lunatic and a criminal a tankhiya? An individual who does not understand what it is being human what will he understand about tankhiya.

Use that same logic for others too then..the tribes have their own dictate ..no one else judges them and it is better that to show someone down you dont stoop that low ...its not a good example of a Guru da Sikh

Giving an insane lunatic and a criminal a tankhiya? An individual who does not understand what it is being human what will he understand about tankhiya.

Use that same logic for others too then..the tribes have their own dictate ..no one else judges them and it is better that to show someone down you dont stoop that low ...its not a good example of a Guru da Sikh

First let me say that I am not portraying myself as a "good example of Guru Da Sikh". But I also know that I am trying (at least) to be Guru Da Sikh. That said, nothing is going to stop me from saying what I have to say.

The whole reason of the post was to bring forward a contrasting fact to the hollow and glorified indian mars mission.

I am not stooping low when I say something is wrong when I find something wrong.

Like I had mentioned earlier you are wrong in comparing an individual psychopath and criminal to a bogus and cultural "system" that is accepted in a wider community. Signs of an enslaved (very, very deep rooted) minds. Tribal or otherwise the "culture" came from somewhere.

When you do not have knowledge its better you dont comment ...and if you have so much sympathy then come here and spend time with tribals ..i volunteer for a NGO who teaches them water harvesting ..sitting in some foreign country wont give you exposure veera ..your ID says OnePathtoSikhi ..if you can use such language and do ninda please dont use Sikhi to identify yourself ...this is not what a Guru ka Sikh is ..

A few of you who have been active since some time are just dirtying this wonderful forum with slander ..I am not sure if N30Singh bhaa ji wishes to do something about it ..if not then we can expect a clone of the other websites who talk little that makes sense except for nonsensical showdown .

First let me say that I am not portraying myself as a "good example of Guru Da Sikh". But I also know that I am trying (at least) to be Guru Da Sikh. That said, nothing is going to stop me from saying what I have to say.

The whole reason of the post was to bring forward a contrasting fact to the hollow and glorified indian mars mission.

I am not stooping low when I say something is wrong when I find something wrong.

Like I had mentioned earlier you are wrong in comparing an individual psychopath and criminal to a bogus and cultural "system" that is accepted in a wider community. Signs of an enslaved (very, very deep rooted) minds. Tribal or otherwise the "culture" came from somewhere.

A few of you who have been active since some time are just dirtying this wonderful forum with slander ..

I would like to share the same sentiment. If your statement is directed at me, then let me say that the forum members can have my name as the top slanderer if they rightly feel so.

I came to this form to only learn before I could I can even contribute, but could not resist when heaps and heaps of trash is being written liberally about Sikhs, our Gurus and Gurbani ... This was, is and will NEVER be accepted .. no matter what!

I don't think any Sikh who is at a "Sikh" forum would have enmity with anyone based on their faith or religion. There are some who are trying to create such differences and I am well aware (like others) who the culprits are.

Heaps of trash where ?????

I would like to share the same sentiment. If your statement is directed at me, then let me say that the forum members can have my name as the top slanderer if they rightly feel so.

I came to this form to only learn before I could I can even contribute, but could not resist when heaps and heaps of trash is being written liberally about Sikhs, our Gurus and Gurbani ... This was, is and will NEVER be accepted .. no matter what!

I don't think any Sikh who is at a "Sikh" forum would have enmity with anyone based on their faith or religion. There are some who are trying to create such differences and I am well aware (like others) who the culprits are.