Somnath Mandir to restrict entry of non Hindus

Somnath temple to restrict entry of non-Hindus
Located on Saurashtra coast of the Arabian Sea, Somnath temple enshrines the first of 12 jyoritlings of Lord Shiva in the country and is considered sacred by Hindus.

• Express News Service| Rajkot |Published on:June 4, 2015 1:15 am
    Non-Hindus will have to seek prior permission before entering the world-famous Somnath temple near Veraval town in coastal Gir Somnath district of Gujarat as the temple administration has decided to regulate the flow of non-Hindu visitors.

Shree Somnath Trust (SST), a religious trust which manages the temple, put up three public notices at the main entrance and Digvijay Dwar on Monday. The notices ask non-Hindus to seek permission of the trust before entering the main temple. “Shree Somnath Jyotirling is a religious place of Hindus. Non-Hindus will be allowed entry for darshan in this pious religious place of worship only after they contact the office of the general manager and get his due permission,” reads the notice written in Gujarati.

Located on Saurashtra coast of the Arabian Sea, Somnath temple enshrines the first of 12 jyoritlings of Lord Shiva in the country and is considered sacred by Hindus. In the mediaeval era, the temple was a great place of worship and wealth. It was also considered a symbol of pride of the Hindus. But due to its wealth, foreign invaders attacked it six times and plundered its wealth. After Independence, the temple was rebuilt with Sardar Vallabhabhai Patel, then Union Home Minister and Rajendra Prasad, then president of India playing leading roles.

SST has eight trustees, four of whom are nominated by Gujarat government while the remaining four being nominees of the Central government. Former Gujarat Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel is incumbent chairman of the trust while Prime MinisterNarendra Modi, veteranBJPleader LK Advani and retired chief secretary of Gujarat, Pravin Laheri are its trustees. Harshvardhan Neotia, chairman of Ambuja Realty Group, Rajen Kilachand, chairman of UAE-based industry house Dodsal Group and JD Parmar, a retired college principal are other trustees of the SST.

However, SST said on Wednesday that they were merely following rules of the temple. “We had received several complaints through letters and emails from Hindu pilgrims about the presence of non-Hindus on the temple premises. Security personnel also used to remain in a dilemma about the presence of non-Hindus. As Hindus, we have right to manage and maintain our religious places. It is like if you go to certain religious places, you have to cover your head. Also, there is a clause in our trust deed to regulate the entry of non-Hindus. We are merely following it more rigorously now,” Laheri, who is also secretary of SKT, toldThe Indian Express.

Laheri added that there was nothing new in the notice boards. “Through these notices, we have merely clarified the position. Security personnel keep on changing, therefore, all of them will not be aware of the rules. But now they will know that this is the rule. Therefore, those who come for non-religious purpose will have to seek permission,” he said.

The secretary further said that permission will be granted on the spot if the trust finds the reason of visit genuine. “To get a permission, a non-Hindu visitor will have to give his name and address and we will maintain
    a record. Earlier, we did not use to maintain such records,” said Laheri.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/gujarat/non-hindus-to-seek-permission-to-enter-somnath-temple/#sthash.0vRa0qGp.dpuf

Jagannath also ^ Guru Nanak Sahib was refused entry there at first.

​Thanks for the information. But what was the reason, Satguru jee was refused entry? Maharaaj was born in a high caste (warrior) HIndu family.

Bhul chuk maaf.

Edited by paapiman

• 2 weeks later...

​Hahaha! on the contrary, there are many gurdwaras which do not allow dalits to enter or serve them langar separately in separate utensils. #SikhApartheid

​a valid question but not an answer to the topic. try and stay on topic. start another one on what you have tried to use as an answer.

interesting test case, would Sikhs also denied entry into Somnath temple. My answer would be big NO as this is the precise reason for which they were clubbed with Hindus in the highly controversial Article 25 of the Indian Constitution.

​interesting you say that as it reminds me of a time when some sikhs were refused entry in Shri Durgiana Mandir in Amritsar. Article 25 clearly wasn't in the minds of my Hindu brothers there.

You moorakh. There is a difference between telling your own gotra on one hand & discriminating, killing based on caste on the other hand

I am aware that Bani does refer to people by their gotra or caste but at the same time it is used as an identification for their work at that time, it was not used as a basis to discriminate unlike in your religion. A quick comparison:

Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. (Guru Nanak Dev, 349, Guru Granth Sahib)

The four castes - the Kshatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaisyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.   (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib)

Your religion says:

A once-born man (a Sudra), who insults a twice-born man with gross invective, shall have his tongue cut out; for he is of low origin (Manusmritee, Chapter 8)

A Kshatriya, having defamed a Brahmana, shall be fined one hundred (panas); a Vaisya one hundred and fifty or two hundred; a Sudra shall suffer corporal punishment. (Manusmritee, Chapter 8)

ਕੂੜੁ ਚੂਹੜਾ .... every one from that untouchable caste is ਕੂੜੁ !!

​Bro, it is the other way around. Anyone who engages in falsehood, is a Chuhra. The word "Chuhra" is a derogatory term (given by some idiots) used for people, who engaged in sweeping as a profession.

Here in the kalyug the

untouchable

even becomes the

ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ and who is pure and sublime, of course a Brahmin!

If Bani is recognising Brahnin as on the top of the pecking order. so where is the difference? It is the same as Manu Smriti.

​Anyone can become a Brahmin, irrespective of the caste/race one is born in. How? Please read below:

ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਿੰਦੇ ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਕਹੀਐ ਜਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਏ ॥

One who understands God, who lovingly centers his mind on the Lord night and day, is called a Brahmin.

Bhul chuk maaf

Hankari Nindak, who says Manu Smriti occupies the same place in Hinduism as Adi Granth in Sikhi? How ignorant one can be! Quoting from some minor scripture no one believes in. BTW Vedas, like Adi Granth, also preach about the caste differences and Gurus have asked Sikhs not to do ninda of those ancient scriptures.

​Bro, Vedas state that, every person is born as a Shudar.

There is no denial that caste/race has some effect on a person but, in Gurmat, there is no discrimination based on caste/race. Also, one must not take pride in his race/caste. If some idiots do it, then they are not following Sikhism.

I am aware that Bani does refer to people by their gotra or caste but at the same time it is used as an identification for their work at that time"

Vahji wah! justifying caste references in the Granths appropriated by Tat Khalsa but condemning those granths which were written 1000s of years before AG.

​Using last names or race of a person can be used for identification purposes. Like for example, we have two Bhai Jetha jees in our HIstory. Bhai Jetha jee was the former name of fourth master and Bhai Jetha jee was also a famous Sikh of Satguru jee. We have two Gangus in our history. One is a Khatri, who betrayed third master and one is Brahmin, who betrayed tenth master. There are two Bidhi Chands too. One is the famous Baba Bidhi Chand jee Brahamgyani (not sure about his got) and one is Bidhi Chand Hundal. In the last case, both are from Jatt background, but the gots are different.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Hinduism is not one religion. It is a vast ocean, some people do hold the Manusmriti in high regard. How else would you explain the century long opression of Dalits by Hindus?

The lines you have quoted try to explain bigoted Hindus like yourself that the real Brahmin (i.e. learned one) is the one who loves God and the real Shudar (i.e. outcaste, lowly person) is the one who is greedy and far from God.

ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਜੋ ਬਿੰਦੇ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥
सो ब्राहमणु ब्रहमु जो बिंदे हरि सेती रंगि राता ॥
He alone is a Brahmin, who knows the Lord Brahma, and is attuned to the Love of the Lord.
Guru Amar Das, 68, Guru Granth Sahib

ਬਬਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਜਾਨਤ ਤੇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ॥
बबा ब्रहमु जानत ते ब्रहमा ॥
BABBA: One who knows God is a Brahmin.
Guru Arjan Dev, 258, Guru Granth Sahib

The discussion is closed by the following Shabad, moorakh Hindus like you who deny the truth can continue crying:

ਗਰਭ ਵਾਸ ਮਹਿ ਕੁਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਤੀ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਿੰਦੁ ਤੇ ਸਭ ਉਤਪਾਤੀ ॥੧॥
ਕਹੁ ਰੇ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਬਾਮਨ ਕਬ ਕੇ ਹੋਏ ॥ ਬਾਮਨ ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਮਤ ਖੋਏ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਜੌ ਤੂੰ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੀ ਜਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਉ ਆਨ ਬਾਟ ਕਾਹੇ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥੨॥
ਤੁਮ ਕਤ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣ ਹਮ ਕਤ ਸੂਦ ॥ ਹਮ ਕਤ ਲੋਹੂ ਤੁਮ ਕਤ ਦੂਧ ॥੩॥
ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੈ ॥ ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਕਹੀਅਤੁ ਹੈ ਹਮਾਰੈ ॥੪॥੭॥

In the dwelling of the womb, there is no ancestry or social status. All have originated from the Seed of God. ||1||
Tell me, O Pandit: since when have you been a Brahmin? Don't waste your life by continually claiming to be a Brahmin. ||1||Pause||
If you are indeed a Brahmin, born of a Brahmin mother, then why didn't you come by some other way? ||2||
How is it that you are a Brahmin, and I am of a low social status? How is it that I am formed of blood, and you are made of milk? ||3||
Says Kabeer, one who contemplates God, is said to be a Brahmin among us. ||4||7||

Bhagat Kabeer, 324, Guru Granth Sahib

Hankari Nindak, who says Manu Smriti occupies the same place in Hinduism as Adi Granth in Sikhi? How ignorant one can be! Quoting from some minor scripture no one believes in.

​The Manu Smriti is no minor scripture as it's contents had have such a widespread effect in India for centuries. It's ignorance to say it's a minor scripture.

You have used the words "no one beleives in" a Manu Smriti. It's hard to find you're serious with words like these.

Edited by chatanga1

​Sher, how long have you been on this forum? I'm sure that you know by know not to misrepresent Gurbani here.

He is deliberately doing this to peddle his brahmanical brainwashed bull-crap agenda. 

Sher bhai ...maan jaa yaar ..eh gal galat hai ..Dharam nu khatra hai,.dekh yaar je kisi nu aane hi nahi dende ta fer parchar karna ta dur di gal aa...Parmesar kisi de pyo di jaagir nai..moorat ho sakdi hai ..thaan ho sakda hai...par andaro je bhaav aahnda na oh ta kisi da vi nai...bas Parmesar uss da maalak hai...

behes chadd ke ..khulke mannana ke eh marhi gal aa..ais'ch tera koi nuksaan nai..aithe saare apne hi praah ne ..Pinda'ch jatt je dalita naal karde oh vi maarha hai te eh vi maarha hai..

​Hahaha! on the contrary, there are many gurdwaras which do not allow dalits to enter or serve them langar separately in separate utensils. #SikhApartheid

​I have lived all my life in Punjab, I have not seen a single gurdwara which refused entry to a dalit. Nor was anyone refused in langar. Yes it might have been the case in distant past but not now. Yes there are gurdwaras which are created by particular community and managed by them. But the segregation is limited to management and control. Nobody is refused entry to Mattha-tek SGGS or partake langar. This is a lie.

​Out of the many can you name one Gurdwara which refuses entry to a Dalit? ਇਹ ਬੜਾ ਵੱਡਾ ਇਲਜ਼ਾਮ ਲਾਇਆ ਐ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਤੇ . ਹੁਣ ਸਾਫ਼ ਕਰੋ ਕਿਹੜਾ ਗੁਰਦਵਾਰਾ ਐਂ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ? ਕੋਈ ਕਰ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦਾ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਕਿਸੇ ਜਾਤ ਦੇ ਅਧਾਰ ਤੇ ਵਿਤਕਰਾ ਕਰਨਾ ਕਨੂੰਨੀ ਜੁਰਮ ਹੈ . ਤੇ ਇਸ ਤੋਂ ਵੀ ਵੱਡੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ ਕੀ ਥੋਨੂ ਪਤਾ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੀ ਦਲਿਤ ਅੱਜ ਕੱਲ ਕਿਸੇ ਤੋਂ ਉੰਨੀ ਇੱਕੀ ਬਰਦਾਸ਼ਤ ਨੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ , ਮਰਨ ਮਾਰਨ ਤੇ ਉਤਾਰੂ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਨੇ. ਸੋ ਇਹ ਜੋ ਕੋਰਾ ਝੂਠ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਬਾਰੇ ਦੱਸੋ . ਤਾਂ ਕਿ ਗੱਲ ਸਿੱਖ ਜਗਤ ਦੇ ਮੂਹਰੇ ਆਵੇ ਤੇ ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਦਰੁਸਤ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾ ਸਕੇ.

​I have lived all my life in Punjab, I have not seen a single gurdwara which refused entry to a dalit. Nor was anyone refused in langar. Yes it might have been the case in distant past but not now. Yes there are gurdwaras which are created by particular community and managed by them. But the segregation is limited to management and control. Nobody is refused entry to Mattha-tek SGGS or partake langar. This is a lie.

​Discrimination does exist. Please watch the video below.

Bhul chuk maaf

Discrimination does exist within sikhism (however no scriptual evidence unlike hinduism).. as well as pappiman pointed out, we had massive segregation/isolation of mazbhi sikhs  from rest of sangat everything in namdhari sect, so i have heard taksal for longest time until it was abolished by sant gyani gurbachan singh bhindranwale, segragation of mabhzi sikhs-rangreeta among nihang dals

Listen brothers, I know what you are trying to say but try and get the point I am trying to convey. Casteism does exist in Sikh community, of course. And the fact that in many places there are gurdwarey such as Mazabhi, ramgarhiya, ravidassia gurdwarey. But nobody stops anyone from visiting any gurdwara. A mazhabhi does matha-tek in other gurdwarey and nobody objects. Same with langar. The individual cases of dispute are about control at the village and dispute is never truly religious in nature unlike Hindu community where the dispute is truly religious in nature.

The issue in the video you posted is a dispute about labour wages. In the second video it talks about discrimination, which I agree does exist. But the discrimination is about control and management. Its not about rules of who can visit which place. not a officially socially accepted norm. It has always been a deviation from the norm. That is why I said till now I have never seen a case of any dispute in my personal life. My rishteydarian are spread out all over southern Panjab with my own village in Haryana near Kaithal, my relatives in Patiala, Sangrur, Nabha. My Nanke in Faridkot district, my massian in Bathinda region, my Bhuaa jis in Fatehgarh Sahib region, my other relatives in Ludhiana etc. The individual cases are mostly rooted in other reasons such as control and caste domination and not truly religious issue. Yes caste observations is a social fact in all punjabi communities. But you can travel all over Punjab and see that even though people follow caste practices, there are no norms such as low caste being openly banned from visiting a Gurdwara. Its a complex issue to explain and all I can say is, do not form a final opinion based upon one or two news report which are often politically manipulated.