What Should I Do To Improve My Punjabi? (Speaking)

Vinny Singh

I always thought my Punjabi speaking skills weren't that good because I was born and raised in the United States. However, over the years I have made friends with a lot of people who are Punjabi and they speak Punjabi very well even though they were also born in the United States just like me. Since then I have always wondered: Why is my Punjabi not so good?

My parents were both born in Punjab, India and raised there until they migrated here. Since I was a child, I always spoke to my parents in Punjabi, but I had a lot of friends who were White and Hispanic. So at home it was always Punjabi for me, but everywhere else I spoke in English. Fast-forward to now, I am 23 years old and I still speak in Punjabi at home but my pronunciation is still very bad as well as my vocabulary and sentence structure. I know I can speak in Punjabi with my Punjabi friends but they all make fun of me when I try to speak with them. They can understand me, but they stay I speak it very funny and "white-washed". It gets really sad when I'm at the Gurdwara doing seva or at a wedding with elders and people try to make conversation with me in Punjabi and I try my best but then they realize that my Punjabi isn't very good, so they are forced to speak in English to me because of that.

What should I do to change this? So far I only speak to my parents and grandfather in Punjabi. Are there any books or videos or anything that can help me learn and make my Punjabi-speaking skills better?

Thank you

Vinny Singh

I always thought my Punjabi speaking skills weren't that good because I was born and raised in the United States. However, over the years I have made friends with a lot of people who are Punjabi and they speak Punjabi very well even though they were also born in the United States just like me. Since then I have always wondered: Why is my Punjabi not so good?

My parents were both born in Punjab, India and raised there until they migrated here. Since I was a child, I always spoke to my parents in Punjabi, but I had a lot of friends who were White and Hispanic. So at home it was always Punjabi for me, but everywhere else I spoke in English. Fast-forward to now, I am 23 years old and I still speak in Punjabi at home but my pronunciation is still very bad as well as my vocabulary and sentence structure. I know I can speak in Punjabi with my Punjabi friends but they all make fun of me when I try to speak with them. They can understand me, but they stay I speak it very funny and "white-washed". It gets really sad when I'm at the Gurdwara doing seva or at a wedding with elders and people try to make conversation with me in Punjabi and I try my best but then they realize that my Punjabi isn't very good, so they are forced to speak in English to me because of that.

What should I do to change this? So far I only speak to my parents and grandfather in Punjabi. Are there any books or videos or anything that can help me learn and make my Punjabi-speaking skills better?

Thank you

Vinny Singh

Bro, start listening to katha and learn Gurmukhi pronunciation. Can you read Gurumukhi? When you keep listening to katha, gradually your Punjabi will improve, i.e your sentence structure and pronunciation. Whatever new words you learn, make notes and check with your parents, if you are pronouncing them right. Revise those words and use them in your conversations with your parents/friends. Online dictionaries/apps can possibly be great tools too.  

It will take time, so don't expect instant results.

Keep talking in Punjabi, whenever you get a chance. Don't worry, if people make fun of you. Making fun of someone is a form of slandar, which is a heinous sin in Sikhism. It actually, indirectly helps the receiver/victim.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Bro, start listening to katha and learn Gurmukhi pronunciation. Can you read Gurumukhi? When you keep listening to katha, gradually your Punjabi will improve, i.e your sentence structure and pronunciation. Whatever new words you learn, make notes and check with your parents, if you are pronouncing them right. Revise those words and use them in your conversations with your parents/friends. Online dictionaries/apps can possibly be great tools too.  

It will take time, so don't expect instant results.

Keep talking in Punjabi, whenever you get a chance. Don't worry, if people make fun of you. Making fun of someone is a form of slandar, which is a heinous sin in Sikhism. It actually, indirectly helps the receiver/victim.

Bhul chuk maaf

Thank you so much bro. I really appreciate this. When it comes to your question about if I can read Gurumukhi, I do not know how to read or write Gurumukhi. I only know how to speak in Punjabi, and I'm not very good at it. I have become closer to my roots and I wish to speak fluently one day. I will begin listening to katha as you advised as well as continuing to speak in Punjabi.

Also, I checked out a book/CD from my local library called "Teach Yourself Panjabi" by Surjit Kalra and Navtej Purewal. I have gone through some of it and have been reading aloud the Punjabi dialogues as well as hearing them on CD and recording myself to see how I sound so I can fix my pronunciation. That's a start, but I hope it gets better from here.

Thank you once again bro.

Edited by Vinny Singh

Thank you so much bro. I really appreciate this. When it comes to your question about if I can read Gurumukhi, I do not know how to read or write Gurumukhi. I only know how to speak in Punjabi, and I'm not very good at it. I have become closer to my roots and I wish to speak fluently one day. I will begin listening to katha as you advised as well as continuing to speak in Punjabi.

Also, I checked out a book/CD from my local library called "Teach Yourself Panjabi" by Surjit Kalra and Navtej Purewal. I have gone through some of it and have been reading aloud the Punjabi dialogues as well as hearing them on CD and recording myself to see how I sound so I can fix my pronunciation. That's a start, but I hope it gets better from here.

Thank you once again bro.

Daas would request you to learn Gurumukhi, as it is the script used by the Lord in our holy books. Also, the below link can be useful. Please click on "Balupdesh".

http://gursevak.com/downloads

The advantage of listening to katha will be twofold. One, you will grow spiritually and the other you will improve your Punjabi. Nalay punn tay nalay phaliyan (good deed and corn)

Finally, don't be scared of making mistakes. No human is perfect.

Bhul chuk maaf

N30,

How comes this message comes up when you try and link to that Learning Panjabi/Gurmukhi thread?

page you req.png

Thank you so much everyone.

I decided to learn to read and write in Gurmukhi. I am currently using Panjabi Primer recommended by dalsingh101. I just finished the first lesson and it was very simple to follow along. I am getting a hang of it. If I get better, hopefully I can read the Punjabi newspapers floating around my house. Thank you so much!

Question: Should I do each lesson once a week or should I start the second lesson tomorrow?

I am also about to listen to Gyani Kulwant Singh jee's Katha right now. Thank you.

Thanks for reporting this link, it looks like outdated link and it was streamlined to link below during our forum upgrade:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/14814-learning-to-read-write-gurmukhipanjabi-tips-on-getting-started/

In future if this happens again, simply do a quick search on topic heading on google as our website is now fully indexed on google search engine. I.e - in this case i searched for - learning-to-read-write-gurmukhipanjabi-tips-on-getting-started sikhawareness or sikhawareness.com 

Thank you so much everyone.

I decided to learn to read and write in Gurmukhi. I am currently using Panjabi Primer recommended by dalsingh101. I just finished the first lesson and it was very simple to follow along. I am getting a hang of it. If I get better, hopefully I can read the Punjabi newspapers floating around my house. Thank you so much!

Question: Should I do each lesson once a week or should I start the second lesson tomorrow?

I am also about to listen to Gyani Kulwant Singh jee's Katha right now. Thank you.

It depends on how fast you pick it up. 

How often should I study?

As a guide, in a week, I suggest having at least one long session (covering a complete, single lesson from the Primer) and then two subsequent fifteen minute ‘recap sessions’ later in the same week. In these ‘recap’ sessions revisit a representative selection of the example words from the Primer exercises and, later, when you start learning the alphabet, go over some of the lines of the alphabet in each ‘recap session’. Keep these sessions short and focused. In an ideal situation you could have 4 ‘recap’ sessions in addition to your main one, in a week. If you are really keen and inclined to study everyday, I would strongly advise giving yourself at least one day of nonstudy. The brain seems to process certain things in quite a mystical and unconscious way when learning, I’ve found giving yourself short breaks helps with this. But in the final analysis, learn to identify and adopt the strategies that help you to learn in the most efficiently way. Different people find different things helpful.

If you feel confident about doing lesson 2, go for it BUT make sure you also recover material from lesson 1 too.

Great to hear that you are brushing up on your language skills! It's well worth it!

Are you getting support from family/friends? I think as you progress, it gets more important to have someone who knows the language look over you (slightly) just incase you are making some error. This way you can correct it quickly before it becomes 'embedded' and more difficult to remove. 

Edited by dalsingh101

It depends on how fast you pick it up. 

If you feel confident about doing lesson 2, go for it BUT make sure you also recover material from lesson 1 too.

Great to hear that you are brushing up on your language skills! It's well worth it!

Are you getting support from family/friends? I think as you progress, it gets more important to have someone who knows the language look over you (slightly) just incase you are making some error. This way you can correct it quickly before it becomes 'embedded' and more difficult to remove. 

Thank you so much for the Panjabi Primer.

I picked up Lesson 1 pretty fast and decided to start Lesson 2 the very next day. My notebook is filled with a lot of writing in Gurmukhi. I think I will keep practicing these two lessons for a week then I will start another lesson or two. I also borrowed some Punjabi newspapers from my grandpa. Even though I only know 10 akhars and some vowels I can read what I know very well.

My mom has also been helping me. I would read a word to her in Gurmukhi and ask her if it is right or not. My pronunciation of one of the akhars were off, so I went on Youtube to find videos that helped me pronounce the akhars better. For example, I thought "phapha" was pronounced "fafa" but it still has the "p" sound (please correct me if I am wrong). My main sources have been the Panjabi primer, my mom, and Youtube lol.

Thank you so much once again. I hope to be able to read the Punjabi newspaper to myself out loud so I can really improve my Punjabi speaking skills.

Edited by Vinny Singh

What is this punjabi primer? I need help in punjabi as well!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6588211/Punjabi-Made-Easy

Thank you so much for the Panjabi Primer.

I picked up Lesson 1 pretty fast and decided to start Lesson 2 the very next day. My notebook is filled with a lot of writing in Gurmukhi. I think I will keep practicing these two lessons for a week then I will start another lesson or two. I also borrowed some Punjabi newspapers from my grandpa. Even though I only know 10 akhars and some vowels I can read what I know very well.

Good, using that primer I once had a non Panjabi speaker reading Gurmukhi in a few months: so be ready for rapid progress. You'd have an advantage to that guy as you already know how a lot of words sound and what they mean.

My mom has also been helping me. I would read a word to her in Gurmukhi and ask her if it is right or not. My pronunciation of one of the akhars were off, so I went on Youtube to find videos that helped me pronounce the akhars better. For example, I thought "phapha" was pronounced "fafa" but it still has the "p" sound (please correct me if I am wrong). My main sources have been the Panjabi primer, my mom, and Youtube lol.

I did the same! lol

That 'phapha' 'fafa' thing is very common. 

The best explanation for it is in this video. It REALLY helped me to nail my pronunciation of letters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqj5jDyQ3Q

Thank you so much once again. I hope to be able to read the Punjabi newspaper to myself out loud so I can really improve my Punjabi speaking skills.

Consistent practice is the key! Good luck and well done for taking the time and making the effort. You're really lucky because there is so much supporting material on the web today. Adapt it to your needs.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you so much dalsingh for Punjabi primer. Since I started it I have learned a lot. I now read an article of Punjabi newspaper out loud everyday (even though I'm kind of slow). My pronunciation and vocabulary are improving a lot. I am also watching more Punjabi movies instead of Hindi and watching the Punjabi channels streaming online. Slowly I hope to get better and better. I still have a long way to go but this was a huge step. Every tip in this thread is very helpful, if their are any other tips you guys have please feel free to share. Thank you all so much.

Edited by Vinny Singh
Had to add something in

I am also watching more Punjabi movies instead of Hindi and watching the Punjabi channels streaming online.

Watch out for them, a lot of them (if not most) are casteist bullshit. Don't let that ish get in your head. 

Keep up the regular practice. <Thums up>

I now read an article of Punjabi newspaper out loud everyday (even though I'm kind of slow). My pronunciation and vocabulary are improving a lot. I am also watching more Punjabi movies instead of Hindi and watching the Punjabi channels streaming online.

Vinny Singh jee - It is better if you listen to Katha and read religious books to improve your Punjabi, rather than movies or newspapers. Rest is your choice.

Bhul chuk maaf

^^

At this early stage I'd suggest you stick to reading stuff that keeps you interested and motivated. 

Thank you Paapiman, I will listen to more Katha and read more books about Sikhi in Gurmukhi. I appreciate it brother.

I always thought reading the Punjabi newspapers were a plus, not only because I'm improving my reading and speaking skills in Punjabi but I'm also learning about what is going on in India. My parents were shocked when I read an article to them (in a good way of course). I can't thank you enough brother.]

My dad always listens to Maskeen Ji's kathas. I have been doing the same too. I admit there are some parts I don't understand but the parts that I do understand are pure wisdom.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys. Just wanted to make an update on how I am doing.

I've been really busy with school so I haven't read the newspaper as much as I planned too. However, when it comes to improving my Punjabi, I have been having a lot of conversations with my parents. Not only has my Punjabi improved more than before, but I am also bonding with them more and more. My pronunciation is still not the best, but hopefully it will get better over time. I still sound very "American" when speaking Punjabi.

How have you guys been? Hope all is well.

I've been really busy with school so I haven't read the newspaper as much as I planned too. However, when it comes to improving my Punjabi, I have been having a lot of conversations with my parents. Not only has my Punjabi improved more than before, but I am also bonding with them more and more. My pronunciation is still not the best, but hopefully it will get better over time. I still sound very "American" when speaking Punjabi.

4 hours ago, Vinny Singh said:

Hi Vinny. Great to hear that you're still persisting and progressing!

Personally I'm fine, but trying to get accustomed to the freezing change in weather that has taken place here in the UK. 

One thing I'd recommend at the stage you are at right now (if you're reading newspapers) is Santokh Singh Jagdev's Books on the Sikh Gurus and SIkh history. I find them pitched really well in that they aren't easy peasey, but they aren't monumentally difficult either.  

If you register an account on the sikhbookclub website (it's free!), you can get pdfs of the books. Just search for Santokh Singh Jagdev's books in the author section. I think his works are also under the Bedtime stories section.

Hope you enjoy!

http://sikhbookclub.com/