ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ।। ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹਿ ।। 

I recently started yoga for the health benefits. I've mainly been doing the "1 minute breath" as a way to strength voice for kirtan.

But what I have been wondering is what are the spiritual benefits of various types of yoga (especially the one's that focus on strengthening the nabhi)? Would yoga help your simran in any way?

• 10 months later...

Rishikul Yogshala offering 200 hour yoga teacher training in India certified by Yoga Alliance USA. We focus on removing stress, tension, ego and unwanted thoughts by adapting a holistic & traditional philosophy, expanding one’s own consciousness, and by using its method of practice.

Rishikul Yogshala

Focussing the mind, mastering the physical body so thoughts can be directed mroe easily, good health making it easier for the mind to be stabile, quiet mind in order to recognize true reality. If you have less health issues its easier to focus on spiritual. 
Yogas often talk about the direct connection between prana and chita the waves of the mind and flow of "breath" slowing breath will slow the mind. also if the flow of breath is brought to a certain pattern it can make the patterns of the mind more elevated like putting a leash on a dog eventually the dog learns to walk with you and not go crazy all over the place this can keep you in your home (body) and not wander around in the "jungles" looking for the God. 
BUT all this can be overridden through surrender to Guru maharaj! you surrender to the form and practices of sikhi and you can master it all without needing asana, pranayam,etc.! better this way because then ego is taken out of the picture too.. ratehr than controlling the body, the body and ego are given to guru, surrender is important and humility... Baba nand Singh ji said a gursikh is a true yogi. 
One minute breath is great especially if you incorporate guru mantar with it. That mediation REALLY changed me in a positive way and brought me to more love of sikhi. 
I'm just ranting but hopefully that was a little helpful at least
fateh!

On 7/10/2016 at 1:22 PM, paramnam said:

One minute breath is great especially if you incorporate guru mantar with it. That mediation REALLY changed me in a positive way and brought me to more love of sikhi. 

Bro, what do you mean by one minute breath with Gurmantar incorporated in it? Can you please expand?

Thanks a lot.

Bhul chuk maaf

1 minute breath is 20 sec inhale with a long internal Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaheeeee,....then pause for 20 seconds holding,....... and then a long 20 second Guuuuurrrooooooooooooooooo.......

16 hours ago, Lucky said:

1 minute breath is 20 sec inhale with a long internal Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaheeeee,....then pause for 20 seconds holding,....... and then a long 20 second Guuuuurrrooooooooooooooooo.......

yes and please dont strain yourself if 5-5-5 or 10-10-10 works do whatever you can but keep the same ratio and relax any unnecessary tension in the body especially when holding breath

It slowed down my mind enough to let me experience a glimpse of the essence. i felt a profound connection to all pervasive power more than i had before. i felt as ease with myself a deeper relaxation. i was more receptive to gurbani too it felt i was touched deeper from doing path 
Actually it also made my brain also seem to work better haha my memory got better especially when i did it for 30 minutes a day. 

give it a try if youre interested i definitely recommend it

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

Reason(s)? 

Bhul chuk maaf

I am not exactly sure..but he mentioned pause represents death... tbh i have not understood it correctly to make a statement...I am just saying that he said it. And he was a respectable yogi.

Also Sant Ishar Singh Ji rara sahib mentions how pranayama generates intense tapas. if someone is moderate in their lifestyle they can handle it.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:21 AM, paapiman said:

Reason(s)? 

All the old traditions and scriptures have spoken about the practice of Pranayama with Pause. But keep in mind the very first assumptions during that time:
1. GURU (teacher who is expert in Pranayama) was must for all the advanced techniques.
2. ENVIRONMENT pollution was not there i.e Electromagnetic pollution due to various technologies, and General pollution.
3. DIET was natural and didn't involve Burgers, Pizzas, Rotis (without wheat-germ) and so on.

So, in short, yes, theoretical; retention/pause (kumbhka) is The Way of reach HIM; in-fact all the exercises in Pranayama starts from inhale/exhale (how tos) but eventually the aim is to have a Intentional control over the retention of breath (i.e Pause). But in today's environment (lack of real-expert on Pranayama, lack of proper natural foods, and polluted environment), it is best to AVOID the INTENTIONAL Retention/Pause breath; unless you are working under the guidance of expert yogi. So, it's not black-and-white answer.

Importance and Theory of Retention of Breath
First and foremost, there is ALWAYS a Natural Pause (Retention of breath) between inhalation and exhalation and again between exhalation and the next inhalation. This is a time when the body is about to shift gears and it is a time of relaxation and openness, when the body is in neutral. Yogis exaggerate that pause to create beneficial responses in the body and mind.

Obviously, the question arises, why there is so much importance given to Retention of breath. It is because Breath and Mind are interrelated; if one could stop one, then the other would be controlled automatically. The link of all life and all desires or no desires is just the breath. As thoughts constantly come to you from the intellect, so come the desires. And the moment you hold the breath (in or out), the intellect stops giving you a current of thought. You can't think; you can have a thought, but you can't have a wave, you can't have desire, you can't have emotions, the whole thing stops. As per Yogi Harbhajan, you really cannot think much and no thoughts could be entertained when the breath is retained.

When Swami Rama mentioned that Pause is the Death and therefore Omit the Pause, he meant to control the pause, omitting the pause means you can expand the Pause but under the guidance. Death is separation of 2 vehicles: Prana and Apana. So, physical death could NOT occur if one understands how to expand the pause. That is the reason there were many yogis who have extended their life-span by the retention of the breath. Bottom line is: If you know how to control the pranic vehicles, you can control death, and no astrology or predictions will ever come true. I think on Youtube there are couple of videos of Swami Rama explaining how to expand the Pause, but keep in mind that those videos are meant for the ADVANCED seekers under the regular guidance of an expert-yogi.

So, I personally avoid having the Intentional Breath Retention but I would love to if I came across any real-yogi who is willing to take me.