Advice for a non Sikh @ a Sikh marriage

truthseeker546

Hi all,

Been busy and away from this forum, my module on Sikhism was complete had no need to return to this forum. I have been invited to a Sikh wedding by a fellow colleague, not really sure what is expected of me. This would be my first Sikh wedding, I did ask my colleague what shall I do/bring/wear. She just said don't worry about it just come as you would to a normal wedding. I'm not sure if she was just being polite as I'm not a Sikh.

So any advice ? 

Good to hear from you back, you can dress modestly, you are not required to bring anything, just follow normal protocols such as remove your shoes, cover your hair, pay respect to our living guru be it in form of small humble bow or full fledge bowing down, sit in the main hall on floor like everyone else as equality gesture and after the wedding, enjoy our free meal at the langar hall which is provided to all despite of religion, race, color, beleifs.

The whole anand karaj does not last long... usually there will also be a reception (outside of langar) and that will just be normal like any other reception. At the Gurdwara, remove shoes,cover your head (there are usually rumalas - bandanas basically) in a basket that you can use to tie on your head or you can even bring your own, and remove your shoes (there is usually slots to keep shoes, or in larger gurdwaras there will be someone there doing seva to take your shoes and give you a number token to pick them back up - in that cause you might even receive them back polished!!!). Wash your hands (there is usually a sink specially for this)

In the actual ceremony,there might be kirtan first... singing of hymns, then first ardas (prayer) is read and only the bride and groom close family stand for it, then the lavans there are four verses read, and then sung by the ragis (musicians), as the bride and groom move together as one around the Guru Granth Ssahib Ji (our living Guru... which is also the Sikh Holy Book but is much much more than a book....). It will take about 20 mins to do the four lavans (the four verses and walking around four times) There may also be another Ardas after in which everyone will stand this time.  Also Hukamnama will be taken where a random verse will be read from Guru Granth Sahib Ji as a 'command' given for the day.  The whole thing is maybe 25-30 mins.

Dress modestly... and tastefully. Nothing too tight as it will only hinder sitting on the floor comfortably anyway.  You can wear a normal suit with shirt and tie... or ask your friend to get you a kurta / pyjamma :) which are super comfy and then you will fit right in...

Take a handkerchief or bandana to cover your head if a bloke. Or a chunni if a women. Don't wear low cut, boob revealing dresses or short skirt if a women. Wear a suit if a bloke, and make sure you have decent socks on (once when I was younger I went with  a hole in my sock - not a good look!). 

You're going to have to sit on the floor, so be careful that your trousers aint too tight!

Thanks for all the advice !!!

I'll just wear my suit. Can I wear my baseball cap? or does it have to be a religious type head gear?

Umm is it OK if I don't prostrate to the Granth or actually take part in the ceremony? would that be seen as offensive? 

Should I take a gift for the bride and groom? like a toaster or something ? Are there any protocols I'm supposed to follow? I was told I shouldn't speak to the females as people might find that offensive - being a non sikh and all....

Should I congratulate the parents and family? someone else said I should take some Indian sweets? 

Can I wear my baseball cap?

Probably better not to and stick to a bandana. Like this. 

7942d1282121536-why-so-complicated-going

house-turban-150x150.jpg

Even this twat did it:

10985.jpg

Don't know about the gifts and stuff.

Edited by dalsingh101

humm thanks Satkirin. Think ill just give cash, I don't know if they'll like the restaurant I'd pick.  

Ps. I don't think they are that religious. My colleagues has enjoyed many meet feast pizza with our buddies :) 

ps. Someone just told me I have to do bangra dance - not sure how to do that exactly - I don't to join with that do I? I'm assuming this is a cultural thing - not a religious one.