Jatt-Sikh wars

paapiman

As the Majhail Singhs asked the Brars to get themselves initiated

The latter chided Majhails to get initiated through their assholes. 

This translation is poor. Original sentence doesn't even mention Majhails or assholes. 

Nah, it's the subtle implication. What they actually thought of Amrit is made clear by their comparing it to this disgusting fluid. They are basically saying we don't think much of your Amrit ceremony/community. 

That's assuming that most people would have known what the fluid was like. Would the fluid have been easily recognised by people?

That's assuming that most people would have known what the fluid was like. Would the fluid have been easily recognised by people?

Come on man. We are talking about a farming community that in all probability kept livestock. Passu's giving birth would be something they would be very familiar with. 

Come on man. We are talking about a farming community that in all probability kept livestock. Passu's giving birth would be something they would be very familiar with. 

That did cross my mind, but even though India is still an agricultural state, I wouldn't have thought many people would have known about it.

That did cross my mind, but even though India is still an agricultural state, I wouldn't have thought many people would have known about it.

Well, I'm not sure what you're talking about context wise, but in terms of Brars, they would've known what it was. So they used it to take a dig at Amrit.

It's like you coming to me saying "Take this Amrit it's a really good thing!" 

And me replying: "That's okay, I'll pass, why don't you take some of this piss instead...." [snigger snigger].

But instead of piss I use another substance commonly encountered in agricultural societies, that is (arguably even more) gross.

I don't get what you're confused about?

Edited by dalsingh101

yes i think i;ve been looking at it from too modern a perspective.

I had this Panjabi-English dictionary originally printed by some missionary group in Panjab around 1898. I remember looking through it and thinking wow!

There were so many obscure words that referred to specific weird stuff that no one uses any more. For example there was a specific name for water that people put in milk before boiling it to counteract evaporation. So that's why I'm not surprised.