Meditation - What is the best time to meditate?

It is very good - you can hardly disagree with the content.

Can you tell me your views on the difference between chanting and meditation? What is the Gurmat view on these ? Isn't it more accurate to translate simran into chanting ? The concept of meditation you describe as focusing on breathing etc - is that part of Sikh rahit of simran or is it mostly a Buddhist practice? I think lots of people mistake these two. What Works for me is to meditate on the breath for a few minutes to calm the mind and thoughts followed by chanting of Waheguru. But im not sure if the first part is actually a part of Sikhi sidhant. Whats the Gurmukhi Word for that kind of meditation?

On 2015-12-15 at 7:54 AM, amardeep said:

It is very good - you can hardly disagree with the content.

Can you tell me your views on the difference between chanting and meditation?

Meditation is a more broad term. It can be used to refer to any meditation technique.
Chanting is an example of a meditation technique.
Focusing on your breath is another example.

What is the Gurmat view on these ?Isn't it more accurate to translate simran into chanting ?

Simran in Guru Granth Sahib refers to remembering Hari naam or Ram naam, again and again.

Simran can be done at any time. However, when you doing only simran, then it can be in the form of chanting - Jap and it can also be in the form of quiet remembering - Mon.

The gurmukhi word for meditation is dhyan.

The concept of meditation you describe as focusing on breathing etc - is that part of Sikh rahit of simran or is it mostly a Buddhist practice?  I think lots of people mistake these two. What Works for me is to meditate on the breath for a few minutes to calm the mind and thoughts followed by chanting of Waheguru. But im not sure if the first part is actually a part of Sikhi sidhant. Whats the Gurmukhi Word for that kind of meditation?

Control of the breath is important. It is part of Guru's teachings. However by no means is it the only practice. It is supplementary to other practices.
There is no word for it in Guru Granth Sahib but it does become a part of other practices.

One of the key steps in meditation that Guru sahibs talk about is control over one's senses. In Pauri 28, Guru Nanak Dev ji describes the advanced meditation process. He says that the starting point is the ability to withdraw senses from the world - ਜਤੁ ਪਾਹਾਰਾ ਧੀਰਜੁ ਸੁਨਿਆਰੁ

So in order to withdraw the bodily senses from the world, your focus has to be away from the body itself.

One of the things you have to do in order to withdraw your senses, is that you have to be able to focus single-mindedly on on something that is not part of the body (Hari naam or Ram naam).

The obstacle here is the our tendency to get distracted by the body and one of the distractions is the breath because it is so close to us and it is on-going. Learning to focus past one's breath is important.

There are a quite a few shabads that talk about working with the breath to achieve higher levels of meditation.
Here's one shabad by Sant Kabir ji, which I translated a while ago-

ਸ੍ਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਭਗਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕਾ

Sri Raag of Bhagat Kabir ji.

ਅਚਰਜ ਏਕੁ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਰੇ ਪੰਡੀਆ ਅਬ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਹਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ

Listen oh Pandit, there is one wonder that cannot be described.

Background: But Kabir still goes on to describe it. :d

ਸੁਰਿ ਨਰ ਗਣ ਗੰਧ੍ਰਬ ਜਿਨਿ ਮੋਹੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਮੇਖੁਲੀ ਲਾਈ

Heavenly Beings, Mortals, the celestial singers, the dwellers of the Three worlds: Heaven, Earth and Netherworld, are all roped to attachment. 1.

Background: The celestial singers sing for the Heavenly Beings, the Devtas.

ਰਾਜਾ ਰਾਮ ਅਨਹਦ ਕਿੰਗੁਰੀ ਬਾਜੈ

The meditation of King Ram is like the Unstruck melody of the Kinguri.

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਦਿਸਟਿ ਨਾਦ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੈ ਰਹਾਉ

By His kind gaze, we are attuned to the shabad of the Guru, Naad, that celestial sound-silence. Think about this.

Background: Kinguri is a musical instrument. To understand the unstruck melody of the Kinguri, we need to ask ourselves, "What is the sound of Kinguri if it is not struck?" It is like a Zen Koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" and like a Zen Koan, it is solved by meditating on the question.

ਭਾਠੀ ਗਗਨੁ ਸਿੰਙਿਆ ਅਰੁ ਚੁੰਙਿਆ ਕਨਕ ਕਲਸ ਇਕੁ ਪਾਇਆ

ਤਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਧਾਰ ਚੁਐ ਅਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਰਸ ਮਹਿ ਰਸਨ ਚੁਆਇਆ

My Dasam Duar is the distilling fire, containing a golden pot, into which drips a gentle stream of the purest essence, through the Ida and Pingala energy channels, which I taste with my tongue (when it utters "Ram"). 2.

Background: The word translated as essence is ਰਸ, whose exact translation is "juice". Hence Kabir describes the whole thing as tasting this juice/essence.

ਏਕ ਜੁ ਬਾਤ ਅਨੂਪ ਬਨੀ ਹੈ ਪਵਨ ਪਿਆਲਾ ਸਾਜਿਆ

What is wonderful is that, I have turned my breath into a pot for collecting this essence.

ਤੀਨਿ ਭਵਨ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੋ ਜੋਗੀ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਵਨੁ ਹੈ ਰਾਜਾ

In the three, worlds, there is only one such Yogi, to which no King can be compared.

Background: Is Kabir calling himself the only Yogi in the Three Worlds, i.e. bragging? No, he is stating his experience. The word Yog, ਜੋਗ, means Union of consciousness with Ultimate Consciousness. Kabir is saying, "Through my practice of tasting the essence through the breath, I have united with the Ultimate Consciousness, with the Divine, something more precious than being a ruler of a kingdom. I have, in my essence, become the ruler of all three worlds."

ਐਸੇ ਗਿਆਨ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਆ ਪੁਰਖੋਤਮ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਾਤਾ

This knowledge of the Perfect Man (King Ram) has been revealed. Says Kabeer, I am absorbed in his love.

ਅਉਰ ਦੁਨੀ ਸਭ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਨੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਨ ਮਾਤਾ

He says, while, the rest of the world is living in ignorance (of Ram), and has forgetten it's true essence (Ram), my mind is intoxicated with Ram, that source of all essences. 4.

What Works for me is to meditate on the breath for a few minutes to calm the mind and thoughts followed by chanting of Waheguru

Why do you meditate on the breath to calm the mind and thoughts?

On 2015-12-15 at 7:54 AM, amardeep said:

The concept of meditation you describe as focusing on breathing etc - is that part of Sikh rahit of simran or is it mostly a Buddhist practice?

I am glad someone started a topic related to this. Check it out -
http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/17360-bhagat-jaidev-jis-bani/#comment-157093

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/12/2015 at 11:13 PM, BhagatSingh said:

Control of the breath is important. It is part of Guru's teachings. However by no means is it the only practice. It is supplementary to other practices.
There is no word for it in Guru Granth Sahib but it does become a part of other practices.

Its called 'Saas Giraas' Simran.  There are probably other words and phrases too, that I cannot recall, but it is mentioned alot. 'praan adhaar', (foundation of breath) 'praan sakhaee' (friend of breath?) are phrases that come to mind.

Another thing is, it (meditation) should be 'sahaj, subhao'- meaning natural and easy manner, not strained or tense. 

Please note the word- Simran, which simply means to remember.  Like how you easily remember names, friends, faces etc in your day to day life.  Same thing.  Equally as natural.

On 19/12/2015 at 11:13 PM, BhagatSingh said:

Why do you meditate on the breath to calm the mind and thoughts?

again this is known to calm the mind and thoughts, hence why people do it.   think about how many films you've seen someone tell someone else who is panicking to 'take deep breathes'

22 hours ago, Guest said:

Its called 'Saas Giraas' Simran.  There are probably other words and phrases too, that I cannot recall, but it is mentioned alot. 'praan adhaar', (foundation of breath) 'praan sakhaee' (friend of breath?) are phrases that come to mind.

Another thing is, it (meditation) should be 'sahaj, subhao'- meaning natural and easy manner, not strained or tense. 

Please note the word- Simran, which simply means to remember.  Like how you easily remember names, friends, faces etc in your day to day life.  Same thing.  Equally as natural.

Swas Giras means to meditate all the time. While you are breathing (swas) and while swallowing (giras).

Praan adhar means the very basis of one's life. One's life is dependent on consciousness (Atma), if there were no consciousness, there would be no life. You couldn't have any experience, you wouldn't experience any pleasure or pain, there would be no 'you'. That is Pran adhar.

again this is known to calm the mind and thoughts, hence why people do it.   think about how many films you've seen someone tell someone else who is panicking to 'take deep breathes'

The same can be accomplished with simran. This was a question specifically for Amardeep, as to what his reasons are, for doing breath meditation before simran. He said breath meditation was not based in Guru Granth sahib, but did it anyway.

So if you think breathing directly calms the mind and thoughts and that it works really well for you, then why not make that the full meditation? Why switch to naam simran? if something works well then just go with that and try to push its limits.

"Says Giraas" simran means to meditate with each and every breath- literally not metaphorically.   My point is that Japa is advised to be done with the breath in the SGGS.

Praan Adhaar is a epithet of God, meaning He supports the breath.  What you say about Praan does not seem correct as in Sukhmani it says God can keep a person even without breath (and that is just referring to the body).  The Atma is immutable, but Praana is flowing- moving, hence not immutable.  So they are not the same.

On 25 January 2016 at 10:50 PM, BhagatSingh said:

So if you think breathing directly calms the mind and thoughts and that it works really well for you, then why not make that the full meditation? Why switch to naam simran? if something works well then just go with that and try to push its limits.

Because acting on a whim and following a Guru's instruction are not the same thing, obviously.  

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

"Says Giraas" simran means to meditate with each and every breath- literally not metaphorically.   My point is that Japa is advised to be done with the breath in the SGGS.

When did I say it wasn't literal?

Giraas means to eat food, has nothing to do with breath. In fact, while swallowing there is no breath. So meditating while there is breath-no breath, means to meditate all the time. This is not a metaphor. This is literally meditating all the time - meditating while you are breathing and meditating while you are swallowing hence swas giras.

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Praan Adhaar is a epithet of God, meaning He supports the breath.  What you say about Praan does not seem correct as in Sukhmani it says God can keep a person even without breath (and that is just referring to the body).  The Atma is immutable, but Praana is flowing- moving, hence not immutable.  So they are not the same.

Where did I say Atma and Pran were the same? I said Atma is pran adhar, the basis of your life, the basis of your pran.

You have to look within at your experience. What is supporting your breath? Where does your breath come from? What would still be there if you were not breathing? What is immutable in your experience? What is mutable in your experience?

Tell me your answers to these questions, in your own words, using your own experience as the compass.

Because acting on a whim and following a Guru's instruction are not the same thing, obviously.  

No one said they were and no one is comparing whim to teaching.

If breath meditation works better for you then I would recommend you do breath meditation, and carry it out all the way rather than switching to an ineffective method part way through.

you are getting very defensive.  you needn't be.  if you notice all my posts are on points, not you personally.

you say i should i speak "on my own experience", but are your didatic questions based on your own experience?  e.g. from above "if there were no consciousness, there would be no life. You couldn't have any experience, you wouldn't experience any pleasure or pain, there would be no 'you'. That is Pran adhar."  is that your personal experience?

I disagree, its not 'meditating while breathing, while eating'.  it's meditating WITH beathing, WITH each gulp of food.  The 'i' on the end of Saas and Giraas means locative/genitive (I think) in Gurbani Grammar (not sure).  so 'with' not 'while'.

whereas you seem to imply naam simran and breath meditation are seperate:

"So if you think breathing directly calms the mind and thoughts and that it works really well for you, then why not make that the full meditation? Why switch to naam simran? if something works well then just go with that and try to push its limits."   The last sentence implies going on your own whim.

Of course you can do Naam Simran without combining it with breathing.  I am not disputing thaat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

Why is that?

Lets say its a typical 'holy day' like the day of sun.  Once you do nitnem etc in morning the effects lasts till 8 am. After that mind starts running towards the world in full mode. If you can put a speed bump between 11 am to 12 PM by meditating or simran you can keep mind in check.  Little speed bumps along the way can keep mind in awareness esp for a beginner. And then you reach evening time where mind naturally wants to rest again. This is just my experience.

Just based on my intuition I can feel that timings such as 6 am, 12 pm or 4-7 pm & 11 pm are special. This is just my intuitive understanding.  I don't know why.

Here is Sadhgurus take on it.

" During the sandhya Kalas, around sunrise and sunset, everything is in a state of flux. If you practice at that time, your ability to transcend limitations is better because your life energies are in a state of flux. "

"If the temperature outside is high and the ushna rises beyond a certain point, it will cause cellular damage. That is why yogic practices are always to be done in the cooler hours of the day. Between day and night, there is a transition that reduces the friction within the system, and therefore, the practices will generate less ushna. Because yoga evolved in tropical climates in India, we always said that all yogic practices must happen before 8:30 in the morning or after 4:00 or 4:30 in the evening. "

best-time-to-practice-yoga.jpg

http://isha.sadhguru.org/blog/yoga-meditation/demystifying-yoga/best-time-to-practice-yoga/

"

Generating Ushna

Another aspect is that all these practices generate a certain amount of ushna. There is no equivalent for the word “ushna” in English, but it usually gets translated as heat. Heat, not in terms of temperature but as one of three aspects – the other ones being sheeta and pitta – that control various functions in the human system. If you have excess ushna, or in other words, if your samat prana is high, you feel your body is hot, but if you take your temperature, it is normal. Ushna is not like having a fever – it is experiential heat.

Because yoga evolved in tropical climates in India, we always said that all yogic practices must happen before 8:30 in the morning or after 4:00 or 4:30 in the evening.

Samat prana or samana vayu is in charge of maintaining the warmth of the body. A yogi always wants to keep the body slightly on the warmer side because heat also indicates intensity and dynamism. If the body cools below a certain point, it creates inertia in the system. Almost all the practices are designed to take you to a somewhat higher realm than what people normally live at. A higher realm does not mean a higher level of metabolism. If the metabolism becomes high, you will exhaust yourself physically.

When your energies are in a higher realm, your body will function at an easier pace. We can prove this to you in a matter of three to six weeks – if you do certain practices and get your energies to a certain level, your physiological factors will settle down and go at an easier pace. When your energies are low, your body tends to go at a higher pace to keep the life process going, which will deplete the system. If your bodily functions go at a certain speed, your mind will go crazy, and above all, it will reduce your lifespan.

We are conscious that doing practices will raise the ushna in the system. If the temperature outside is high and the ushna rises beyond a certain point, it will cause cellular damage. That is why yogic practices are always to be done in the cooler hours of the day. Between day and night, there is a transition that reduces the friction within the system, and therefore, the practices will generate less ushna. Because yoga evolved in tropical climates in India, we always said that all yogic practices must happen before 8:30 in the morning or after 4:00 or 4:30 in the evening."

http://isha.sadhguru.org/blog/yoga-meditation/demystifying-yoga/best-time-to-practice-yoga/

@Rock

That's interesting, most of my meditation happens from midnight-4am and I have seen dramatic changes but that might also be because I try to do it all the time.

Back in 2011, I would often stay up till 6-7am. And just sit in my balcony and enjoy the peaceful morning with birds chirping and cats chasing squirrels.

Nothing else mattered.

7 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

That's interesting, most of my meditation happens from midnight-4am and I have seen dramatic changes but that might also be because I try to do it all the time.

Back in 2011, I would often stay up till 6-7am.

Sikh Mahapurush say that the doors of Sachkhand open between midnight 12 AM to 6 AM.  You can take this literally or metaphorically lol, but whichever way you take there are some hidden treasures in such Bachans.

At Nanaksar Gurdwaras, the Nitnem starts from 2 AM & concludes by 7 AM.

Back in 2009-2011 I had some good moments too with peace of night hours.  Actually whenever the outside is quiet you naturally get meditative.