Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

because I know a good few vegetarians who are bulky and have lots of jaan. But for me personally, it was an issue. 

I never got this myself,on veg diet i loose that jaan and energy to go out and do sh1t.....One guy i know turned veg an doesnt take no protein shakes at all and has muscle mass and kinda cut up, not fat type of bulky.i think more then diet it comes down to your own body biology.

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Those of you who actually have obesity problems on a vegetarian diet - boy I don't know how you do it! lol

hahaha..so true!!

The insomnia thing you mention is an interesting one..

I respect that man, going on a veg diet cold turkey especially as you was a heavy meat eater..saying that from what i recall your first week was not that bad at all..

Personally, in a perfect situation i would like to be a vege. I ate meat on tuesday yesterday and today..lol its a game changer is all aspects, training, work, interaction ( as im in second week of new job people at work thought i was coming out my shell, little did they know i was coming out of veg diet..lol)

I also feel it comes down to how you are naturally, im more upfront and abrupt and going on this diet took me out my comfort zone, which was a bit uneasy but saying that it was good as i would let 'things go' more easily and not get 'involved'..I know one day ill be a vege but circumstances need to be right..

Just to add, every know and again i usually fast for a day or 2, which helps big timein resetting your body a little and gives a break to the digestive system,so just a little tip for the non veges..lol

^^

I'm definitely going to be having a fair few vege days. 

I think for you guys, it was like asking a Lion to start eating veggies and drinking milk, the lion is obviously going to lose some aggression & weight haha

But yeah, so much depends on your own body genetics.

As for me, I am sticking to maximum one roti a day, no more than that. I am having a headache today, so went for coffee.

Came back from cousins chacha's funeral earlier, its soo depressing man. I was observing the bibiyan fake crying, like they made all the right facial expressions and made all the right noises, but when i looked at their faces there were no tears..so fake man.. Sorry just had to get that off my chest..

@dalsingh101. Hows your neighbor doing? Any improvements?

17 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

I am sticking to maximum one roti a day, no more than that

Is that a vow??..lol...stick to it, you can do it bro

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Came back from cousins chacha's funeral earlier, its soo depressing man. I was observing the bibiyan fake crying, like they made all the right facial expressions and made all the right noises, but when i looked at their faces there were no tears..so fake man.. Sorry just had to get that off my chest..

It is off-topic (hope Dal paaji won't mind it) - Are you serious bro? Fake crying? What the hell was going on there? Do people engage in such behavior?

Bhul chuk maaf

9 minutes ago, paapiman said:

It is off-topic (hope Dal paaji won't mind it) - Are you serious bro? Fake crying? What the hell was going on there? Do people engage in such behavior?

i've got used to this off topic game..lol.its all good.

Yeh man, If there's more than one bibi doing it, it turns into a competition..the louder one wins, as she has expressed that she is more 'hurt' (this one usually has a dialogue aswell, ie.. in panjabi-come back to me, don't leave me!!)... its soo pathetic..  

my massi is the queen at it, she never looses, never drops a tear either (seen this on two occasions)..class..lol

Yeh man, If there's more than one bibi doing it, it turns into a competition..the louder one wins, as she has expressed that she is more 'hurt' (this one usually has a dialogue aswell, ie.. in panjabi-come back to me, don't leave me!!)... its soo pathetic..  

my massi is the queen at it, she never looses, never drops a tear either (seen this on two occasions)..class..lol

Another aspect of female psyche. It might have been exposed by Maharaaj in Sri Charitropakhian Sahib jee.

Bhul chuk maaf

its called keerne paune or vain paune...

only the close ones really feel the pain of separation.  rest are their to pay their formalities.

There are three important ceremonies in a persons life : birth, marriage & death, all involved different forms of expression of emotions.

@samurai

Ain't heard anything since I got that card. I think it's serious. If he survives they'll probably put him in a home. 

RE: the funeral. Mate, you should see it back home, sometimes neighbourhood women come out and start wailing and beating their chests like demented witches at funerals procesions....I'd be like "B1tch you don't even know the person! Calm your overly dramatical ar5e down ffs!!" Damn jaloos!

Keep your head up bro.  

@paapiman

It's cool man. Let the thread go wherever it goes now! lol

4 hours ago, samurai said:

I'm ashamed to admit it but my mum can also do the above.... even when I've told her to fix up - it has no effect. 

Anyway bro, I thought I'd throw in this little bit of history, these are extracts from letters sent by Panjabi soldiers in WW1, some of them noticed how the French girls had a lot more reserve than a lot of ours even back then.

Sher Khan (Punjabi Musalmaan) to Raja Gil Nawaz, BA,LLB (Jhelum) – 9th Jan 1916

I have seen strange things in France. The French are a sympathetic and gracious people. Some time ago we were established for about three months in a village. The house in which I was billeted was the house of a well to do man, but the only occupant was the lady of the house, and she was advanced in years. Her three sons had gone to war. One had been killed, another had been wounded and was in hospital, and the third, at that time was in the trenches. There was no doubt that the lady was much attached to her sons. There are miles of differences between the women of this country and the women of India. During the whole three months, I never once saw this old lady sitting idle, although she belong to a high family. Indeed, during the whole 3 months she ministered to me to such an extent that I cannot adequately describe her [kindness]. Of her own free will she washed my clothes, arranged my bed and polished my boots – for 3 months. She used to wash my bedroom daily with warm water. Every morning she used to prepare and give me a tray with bread, butter milk and coffee......When we had to leave that village the old lady wept on my shoulder. Strange that I had never seen her weeping for her dead son and yet she should weep for me. Moreover, at [our] parting she pressed on me a 5 franc note to meet my expenses en route.

Sher Bahadur (Punjabi Musalmaan) to Raja Khan Alim Khan (Shahdara, Delhi) – 17th Jan. 1917 (Urdu)

I have seen such examples of fortitude and bravery amongst the French that I can hardly express myself. I saw one day a peasant ploughing, and a bicycle orderly came up to him and gave him a telegraph and went off. I asked the orderly what he had given him and he said it was a telegram telling him his son had been killed. The old man read the telegram and waited 2 or 3 minutes and then went on ploughing. I have seen many cases in which the old people have lost 3 or 4 sons and yet have remained unshaken by the blow. There is no wild lamentation as with us in the Punjab, nor do they get into the same state as us due to our ignorance.

Maybe apneean do it because they are scared that they will be  thought of as heartless creatures otherwise? It's like an overt display of being effected and showing that you have emotions. 

You know when you told me about you cuz's chacha and how he used to go on, I thought about my mate who passed away. Towards the end he was going off the rails, that's why we stopped talking. My nephew said something to me the other week that made me think about it. 

Waheguru sometimes gives long life to an oppressive evil person (like Aurengzaab) in their divine wisdom, but sometimes (this is what nephew said), he pulls people's files early, so they don't do even more messed up stuff and ruin even more lives?

2 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

keerne paune or vain paune

What exactly is this? The crying and beating chest?? 

5 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I'm ashamed to admit it but my mum can also do the above.... even when I've told her to fix up - it has no effect.

Fair play man... 

7 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

When we had to leave that village the old lady wept on my shoulder. Strange that I had never seen her weeping for her dead son and yet she should weep for me. Moreover, at [our] parting she pressed on me a 5 franc note to meet my expenses en route.

wow... In your opinion, why do you think this was??

9 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I asked the orderly what he had given him and he said it was a telegram telling him his son had been killed. The old man read the telegram and waited 2 or 3 minutes and then went on ploughing.

Another wow.. 

I never looked much into sikhs in ww1 and ww2. I always felt like,' why the hell did sikhs help the british', like a betrayal feeling. (My ignorance, because i did not bother researching into it, i was just being judgmental) I think this has come up from my confrontations with racist goreh back in the day and the stories the elders told me about their struggles with BNP.

18 minutes ago, samurai said:

wow... In your opinion, why do you think this was??

I think western culture doesn't like overt emotional outbursts, they are subtly frowned upon, especially amongst the higher classes. They are considered to be childlike and unsophisticated. The characteristic of reserve and control are valued. Our lot don't have this, and will fly off the handle in emotional outbursts like kids.   

I never looked much into sikhs in ww1 and ww2. I always felt like,' why the hell did sikhs help the british', like a betrayal feeling. (My ignorance, because i did not bother researching into it, i was just being judgmental) I think this has come up from my confrontations with racist goreh back in the day and the stories the elders told me about their struggles with BNP.

I'm the same. I don't think we got much out of the experience and it's legacy has effected us negatively in a variety of ways i.e. a loss of sovereignty and the legacy of a sycophantic mental attitude towards goray by many apnay. They essentially went to the poorest, most desperate farmers (despite what their descendants try and claim today) and mass enlisted them by filling up their heads with illusions of grandeur and giving them preferential treatment over other communities. Then, when everything went pear-shaped - they walked off and left us to defend ourselves at partition. 

People don't like to hear it though. We've lost a lot of confidence, power and strength since goray invaded Panjab.  

BTW, I think Eastend-Sikhs are a bit more clued up about goray than your average apna. 

IMO, Women are emotional creatures. It is healthy for them if they can act out their emotions through excessive crying and shrieking. I am not in favor of beating chests though. Making sounds and noises is a great way to release the pent-up emotions inside whether its anger, fear or sorrow. When we lift heavy weight, we struggle and it can help if we can grunt or make some noise. Its a psychological effect. Also, if you go on roller-coaster rides, it makes the ride go easier. Similarly, its better to release these emotions through crying and making noises. However, it is also true that some people do put on a show even if they are not feeling anything. I guess, its like a camaraderie for their fellow women.

imo, For men, however, crying should not be done in public.  It should be done under closed doors or only with very close male members. Public display can have deep unconscious damage on others. Men need to be rock in these situations.

Kids are the least affected, however. Their healing process is very very fast.

As you grow older, death has a more emotional deeper impact on you.

My Dada Ji passed away when I was 10, Naani when I was 15, and Daadi when I was 28. When I compare these three deaths, the one that affected me emotionally more was when I was 28. Note, I was more emotionally attached to my Naani. And, I have no recollection of nasty experience when I was 10, even though I remember the events clearly.

Also, on a side note, I am more reminded about death the most when I am either going to bed, getting closer to bed or sometimes when I wake up in morning.

Death is a good reminder, and cleanser but this reminder happens on its own.

56 minutes ago, samurai said:

What exactly is this? The crying and beating chest?? 

Matam karan/Keernay paune include crying/wailing/beating chests/beating heads, etc.

There is a sakhi behind the origin of Matam Karna. It was used by Mata Parbhati jee (wife of Shivjee) as a ploy to kill a demon, who was lusting after her. The demon's name was Bhasmasur.

Bhul chuk maaf

I have no problem with women crying, banging chest if it is genuine (annoying and loud as i may find it), i just hate that fake sh1t, its too much pakhand for my liking in terms of time and place (funeral).

I think its ok for men to shed a tear (even in front of others), but not cry like a baby in front of others, leave that for behind closed doors..lol

When my dhada passed away i kept getting an 'eerie' feeling, This feeling was consistent from before he passed away (last days in hospital) to the day of the funeral. He was also doing weird things and talking to people we could not see. He said to me many times (with hand actions) hit that person, and where he was pointing there was no one, so i punched the air a few times and he then relaxed (at this point i was like what the f**k). 

But when my nani passed away there was a very peaceful sort of feeling. (i was really close to her). A day before the funeral a few of us went to go see her at the funeral directors place and even then i was in peace (there just seemed to be a peacefull energy, hard to explain), plus my mama started reciting anand sahib i didn't say any thing until one of my cousins actually said "i thought i was gonna be scared but its actually kinda peacefull" i was like damm.

What i learnt from this is that my dhada did quiet a few bad deeds and pissed a few people of in his time where as my nani from day one is respected highly by our family and community and has always lived a truthful life. So the karm/deeds we do throughout our life eventually catches up to us by death, no running away even though we live in ignorance while we are young as death seems like a far reality. 

Death and after life really interest me. 

29 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Don't people actually hire women (and pay them) to cry on death ceremonies too?

I have heard this from various family members. Its true.

9 minutes ago, amardeep said:

The word matam is arabic and refers to shia muslims beating their chest during ashura when mourning the martyrdom of Imam Hussain

I'd heard this was Muslim thing adopted by apnay. 

He was also doing weird things and talking to people we could not see.

Yes, it is a very common phenomenon. When people are getting ready for the transition, they can see souls loitering around the hallways especially hospitals. My Daadi was also able to see things, she would say why are these people loitering around in the hallway. I wasnt with her though.

Somehow, their senses start to perceive other worldly things.

Yeh. when my dhada saw these things there was fear in him but my nani on the other hand was semi smiling and talking. At this point she stopped communicating with us, literally would not speak just smile at us, but she would talk to things we could not see like she would zone out.  i suppose we will find out for ourselves when time is up..lol