Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

^Drink warm water with lemon in the morning, first thing and bapu ji, you will not only look young but slim too.your skin will get the glow and guessing your age will be hard .lol

I need to gain healthy weight, who do I cut? And with what weapon? How many cuts? Just kidding, I am just being me lol

Good dalsingh your keeping at it, i'm also thinking that this veg diet is not as difficult as i thought (though i am eating eggs).. This time for some reason the opposite is happening from my last veg diet. I'm not eating as such, i'm not fussy about what i eat, my mentality is just eat whatever it is (im generally not a fussy eater) and ive taken butter off my roti. Last veg diet i was putting butter in and on everything. I thought i would be eating eggs all the time but some days such as yesterday and today have not touched eggs..a little weird. lol. And also i just want to eat bland food since saturday.. Calm mode has defo kicked in 100%. Oh yeh the friday shut down of body, i think has something to do with the pre-sup..not taking that again..Plus its more catered to weight trainers i think.

I think with panjabi food you have to be exercising, even if thats just 20-30 mins brisk walking a day. Its not a coincidence all the bhuddeh have pot bellies and they dont drink or eat meat. I also thinks its not all down to the actual food but our panjabi mentality which is too eat till full, like if i go to guests house and don't eat too much they get offended..lol

No matter what food it is one should not eat till full but enough where your not hungry..

18 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

The topic of Panjabi food has been foremost in my mind today; having been given a bunch of stuff from relatives. Is this food good for us in terms of energy levels and nutrition? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Panjabi food, but I have to confess that I often find it quite heavy and slow to digest. This has the effect of making me feel lethargic. As I've said repeatedly on this forum, I know from talking to my grandpas that their average workday was (physically speaking) phenomenally more intense than the norm of today, so I imagine they could get away with eating it as standard.  So what does that mean for us who endeavour to keep in shape today? Does it mean that we have to eat it sparingly? Can we really eat it all the time? Please share your thoughts.

If you look at their ancient diet, it was mostly simple. As far as I remember from hearing, this is what a typical punjabi diet consisted of :

-  rotis , lots of them lol, no paraunthes, tandoor rotis

- rice

- achar with roti and onion was the salad of time

-  lots of oranic sabji and daal

- milk, lots of it

- fresh made butter, tons of it,  I heard people would drink a glass of ghee

But they would also work a lot, especially farmers, from morning till evening.

I remember a migrant labourer who would eat 12 rotis at a time, but he was skinny & ripped as hell. 

So basically, their diet matched their activity. Also they had simple taste buds, not very masala type.

DAY 16: 16/2/16

I'm so disappointed with myself, I can barely bring myself to write this........

Earlier this evening I got a call from an old friend I haven't seen in years, who now lives abroad. I just had to link him. We ended up meeting at a restaurant we used to hang at years ago  (for old times sake), he ordered his food (meat) and I ordered mine (veg). Then some powerful urge just took a hold of me! I lunged at his plate with my fork like a ravenous, wild beast! I was like a demon possessed!

PSYKE!!!!!! JUST KIDDING FOLKS! I'm messing with you! hee hee hee

No one came around and I didn't go anywhere. Still on the diet, didn't eat much today. Training was one of the most mickey mouse sessions yet (100 x blank squats, 4 x 25 rep press ups and 5 sets of pull ups), but it is freezing like the Arctic. Don't feel too energetic. I definitely realised rotis make me sluggish. 

Gonna try a lot of steam veg tomorrow to see how that effects me. 

Nothing much else to report really. 

@Ragmaala

I don't think people ate that many rotis myself. I've never seen the oldies go more than 3. But butter, keeo and other dairy based products were used freely.

@samurai

Personally I'm in favour of fats. They agree with me, without me putting on weight. It's carbs that mess me up. I'm hungry now, I'm going to snack on some mixed nuts. 

I definitely agree with not eating till your full though!

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

I'm so disappointed with myself, I can barely bring myself to write this........

Soon as i read this i was like "daammm"..lol

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Personally I'm in favour of fats. They agree with me, without me putting on weight. It's carbs that mess me up

For me, when im training i can eat anything (but no chrisp, no chocs and no fizzy drinks) but when i'm not training i put on weight easily. 

2 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

DAY 16: 16/2/16I'm so disappointed with myself, I can barely bring myself to write this........

Earlier this evening I got a call from an old friend I haven't seen in years, who now lives abroad. I just had to link him. We ended up meeting at a restaurant we used to hang at years ago  (for old times sake), he ordered his food (meat) and I ordered mine (veg). Then some powerful urge just took a hold of me! I lunged at his plate with my fork like a ravenous, wild beast! I was like a demon possessed!

When I read the demon possessed and saw the blank space below I had a feeling you were joking  lol

but a good one, wont work again tho

I'm seeing great benefits to this veg diet. When i first started, even though i wanted the physical benefits, i was more interested in the spiritual benefits. I wont go into any detail, but it has helped improve considerably my bani recitation and naam simran.  I will not put it solely to the veg diet as i feel its a combination of pysical training and controlling the amount i eat which i feel is a big big factor. I will not make a bold statement that i'm a vegetarian but i defiantly will stay on this diet for the foreseeable future. Im also contemplating leaving eggs out, i may just ease it out but i feel that is automatically happening anyway. No matter how hard we try I feel deeply, that without 'gurprasad' there's nothing. i knew this as gyan but now im really 'getting it'.That doesn't mean not to make an effort as i feel gurprasad is also a recognition of effort. 

I hope this post doesn't make those on non-veg diet feel that they should (have to) go on a veg diet or feel 'guilty' as i personally know jeevs on high avastha who are meat eaters. Its all about trial and error and what works for 'you', as ultimately others experience may not be yours then you will waste your time following their journey while abandoning your own.

DAY 17: 17/2/16

Been eating cleanly all day! And boy do I feel better for it!

Yesterday I felt so weak and demoralised, I was looking forward to eating meat because I thought it would give me my energy back. On reflection I think that may have been the effect of bhaturay though.

Just finished a bit of weights and it wasn't too bad. I did have a decent plate of curly fries just before training though; this might have helped. Had cottage cheese for breakfast followed by a cheese on toast. Had nuts to snack on - as well houmus and carrots sticks and green beans. Clean ass diet!

A trend I've noticed is when I try to avoid eating late and skip a meal, I end up getting up early in the night to come down and snack - and feel like crap in the morning. 

When I read the demon possessed and saw the blank space below I had a feeling you were joking  lol

but a good one, wont work again tho

That's only a trick to use once. It gets tired quick - a bit like the boy who cried wolf. I think I did it because I thought the blog was getting boring for readers. lol

Sorry man!

I'm seeing great benefits to this veg diet. When i first started, even though i wanted the physical benefits, i was more interested in the spiritual benefits. I wont go into any detail, but it has helped improve considerably my bani recitation and naam simran.  I will not put it solely to the veg diet as i feel its a combination of pysical training and controlling the amount i eat which i feel is a big big factor. 

I hear you there! Reading bani is getting smoother. Even contemplating it seems to improve now and then.

I hope this post doesn't make those on non-veg diet feel that they should (have to) go on a veg diet or feel 'guilty' as i personally know jeevs on high avastha who are meat eaters. Its all about trial and error and what works for 'you', as ultimately others experience may not be yours then you will waste your time following their journey while abandoning your own.

So much truth in that brother! I think 'forceful veges' actually do more damage than good myself. People have their own niji journey, and I know people who've been vege and have got seriously ill and have been advised by the hospital staff to eat fish and chicken, upon which they've gone from looking like concentration camp survivors to a healthy body weight. 

1 hour ago, Ragmaala said:

And I have reduced roti to half...tried white bread instead but that gave me heart burn

When u go through heart burn and aid reflux it is really an individual thing...certain foods will not agree with you (take note).. Make sure that your last meal before bed is at least 2 hours(min)..prefably 4-6 hours.. need being reset your body by a 24 or 48 hour fast..just suggestions not a cure..lol

17 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

I am taking notes daly,  cottage cheese, humus and carrots..yum. 

And I have reduced roti to half...tried white bread instead but that gave me heart burn. Need to do some groceries.

Avoid white bread like the plague brother. Avoid most of them actually. 

I found this one which is lowish carb and has very low GI index. Defo try it if you can get it. What country you in? 

<edit: just checked your profile, and saw you're in Canada>

soya-and-linseed-bread1.jpeg

Day 18: 18/2/16

Everything cool today. Felt compelled to finish the last bit of Panjabi food from my brother. Didn't munch the bhaturay though....

Feeling mellow. Just finished a bit of light weights: 5 x 5 rep front squats, 5 x weighted calve raises, 5 x preacher curl with ez bar,  5 x shoulder press with dumbbells. Just a quick, general maintenance set. Took almost exactly an hour.

Spoke to a relative yesterday and apparently loads of people have been going vege lately or at least cutting their meat consumption down. Interesting. A lot of people reporting good psychological effects from it. 

I am taking notes daly,  cottage cheese, humus and carrots..yum. 

And I have reduced roti to half...tried white bread instead but that gave me heart burn. Need to do some groceries.

Same here. Fridge looks bare! I've been cannibalising it! lol You know what, next time I do a bit of shopping I might take a picture and post it here, just to give people a few ideas of what vege's can get. I tend not to do bulk shopping, because A LOT of stuff ends up going out of date and wasted that way. I HATE wasting food (and money!) like that. Okay, I can stick it in the compost heap but still....

You should also pay close attention to Samurai's advice. Learning to fine-tune your diet to what suits your individual, unique biology over time is the smartest thing anyone can do. No two people are the same. Get to know what agrees and disagrees with your body in as much detail as possible and adjust your diet accordingly.  

4 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

that would be nice

DSCF0503.thumb.JPG.c2161375b17945e56c196

Just done a quick run: Here's what I got (all from Aldis) -

Frozen berries, Low fat Greek yogurt (both for smoothies), various cottage cheese, frozen veg (normally I get fresh, but giving this a go), curly fries, cashew nuts, pistachios, walnuts, diet lemonade, green beans, chestnut mushrooms, some cream for coffee. I think that's about it?

Day 19: 19/2/16

Decided to get this done and out of the way in case I'm too tired to do after training. Was rushing around since morning and didn't get to eat much again. Going to do a brief core focused workout after I post this. Will probably do it off the pull up bar.  

5 x leg raises

5 x knee raises 

5 x leg flutters (aka scissors) 

5 x kickouts

Some sit ups.

I need to do this because I've been a bit slack in this area since I started this diet. What I've realised is that the body is adaptive and after the shock it receives from a new diet (which manifests physically), it then starts to become accustomed to the changes and reverts back to type. Because I had the initial effect of my tidh getting tighter I slacked on training it and now I can feel it is getting a bit loose. Hence the remedial action.   Plus I want to keep it short today so I can relax this evening. 

Okay folks, going to have a coffee to perk me up and get to it!

@dalsingh101.wicked man that you are sticking to your training..keep at it..

its funny cos i have that greek yogurt with my pranteh but i just add a bit of milk to it, as it is so thick.lol

My personal experience of this veg diet continues to be very much positive...its like i;m having experiences which i do not want to relate to my veg diet but no matter which way i go it points back to this diet.weird to say the least

also ive noticed my attitude has changed..like i do not care about others, like i do not get involved emotionally. it is what it is and it is what it isnt..before i would get so involved and loose my self in the situaton...its different now...it really is as i feel, some jeevs are not worth the time and effort...

@amardeep

So far no weight loss which is surprising BUT I do feel thinner because you don't get the muscle pump you do when eating meat.

@samurai

Thanks man! It is hard work though brother. For me, I'm having great psychological benefits as in being calmer, cooler but training seems much harder. The length of my sessions has decreased.

I'm not going to lie, a part of me is thinking: "Will I feel like me, if I start eating meat again" - I mean this in terms of energy. I do feel less energetic. I don't think I've quite nailed the whole cooking aspect of this diet just yet. 

also ive noticed my attitude has changed..like i do not care about others, like i do not get involved emotionally. it is what it is and it is what it isnt..before i would get so involved and loose my self in the situaton...its different now...it really is as i feel, some jeevs are not worth the time and effort...

Be careful of this. Don't become indifferent to man's plight. Someone might need you one day! lol