Spiritual Education in Sikhs

das

6 minutes ago, das said:

I was trying to find out the Spiritual material (with photos, cartoons etc) in order to teach my growing kids some basic things: Love, Sharing etc...... but was unsatisfied in regards to the unavailability of this kind of material in Sikhism.

Try the link below brother.

http://www.sikhnet.com/stories

Bhul chuk maaf

45 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Das do you bhagti?

I guess not in the real sense, basically betraying myself. I was devoting more time (even though not quality, but at-least quantity was there) when I was in college 20 years back but now it's a mess.

10 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

2. Now for the second example. While I was staying in India with my sister, I was meditating as much as possible. One day I was playing with my 2yr old nephew and we went to the gurudwara right after. So he wants to sit with mamaji, I began quietly meditating with him sitting in my lap the whole time. Some time passed after we returned, and he started playing. In his playing, he began to say the mantra that I was meditating on, all to my surprise. This mantra was known only to me, no one else.

wow thats amazing. 

Was it a common mantra that he could also have heard from someone  ? or was it your own unique mantra that he might not have heard from others ? ( This detail might be important to remove any confounding factors in your experimental observation. btw I do not wish to know your mantra, that is your personal matter).

But that is amazing. How kids can pick up spiritual frequencies so fast ? No wonder they are called  rabb da roop

The first two years of my life were spent with my Naani, who was great Nitnemi & did Amritvela of 3 am through her whole life, even through extreme sickness. My mom tells me that Naani would take me in her lap and do path. She was also very sensitive to emotions. I sometimes wonder that maybe whatever love for Sikhi I claim to have , and my sensitive nature might be her giving. Yes I blame her for making me too sensitive to emotions sometimes, which I have learnt to control a lot btw. lol.

@BhagatSingh   This is the greatest gift a father or a mother can give to their Child, a long time Spiritual fruit & blessing through actually practising it, and actually passing on the spiritual vibrations. Your story is very pleasant to hear, thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

wow thats amazing. 

Was it a common mantra that he could also have heard from someone  ? or was it your own unique mantra that he might not have heard from others ? ( This detail might be important to remove any confounding factors in your experimental observation. btw I do not wish to know your mantra, that is your personal matter).

But that is amazing. How kids can pick up spiritual frequencies so fast ? No wonder they are called  rabb da roop

The first two years of my life were spent with my Naani, who was great Nitnemi & did Amritvela of 3 am through her whole life, even through extreme sickness. My mom tells me that Naani would take me in her lap and do path. She was also very sensitive to emotions. I sometimes wonder that maybe whatever love for Sikhi I claim to have , and my sensitive nature might be her giving. Yes I blame her for making me too sensitive to emotions sometimes, which I have learnt to control a lot btw. lol.

@BhagatSingh   This is the greatest gift a father or a mother can give to their Child, a long time Spiritual fruit & blessing through actually practising it, and actually passing on the spiritual vibrations. Your story is very pleasant to hear, thanks for sharing.

Mantra is I am a big kid now, I am big kid now. Why do you think I call @Singh123456777  Bapu ji now instead of putt. He used the mantra and now is a big kid lol. 

10 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

wow thats amazing. 

Was it a common mantra that he could also have heard from someone  ? or was it your own unique mantra that he might not have heard from others ? ( This detail might be important to remove any confounding factors in your experimental observation. btw I do not wish to know your mantra, that is your personal matter).@BhagatSingh   This is the greatest gift a father or a mother can give to their Child, a long time Spiritual fruit & blessing through actually practising it, and actually passing on the spiritual vibrations. Your story is very pleasant to hear, thanks for sharing.

He could have heard it from someone, maybe on tv. But not from anyone in the household.

When he said it, my sister was surprised. She asked him where he heard it from. He said  grandma taught it to him. I asked grandma and she said she had never taught him that.

Let's say he had already heard it - I stayed with him for 3 months. It was just on that one night that I heard him say it and the next morning, he was playing with it, twisting the sounds and words, as kids do.

Not just kids but also adults, animals, trees, plants.... even tin foils. We are connected in a much stronger way than we think.

Haha. Maybe. being sensitive helps on the bhagti marg.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:54 PM, BhagatSingh said:

Well that's the most important thing. This is more important than "external material for kids" or parcharaks. You are the father! You need to be the role model, do the bhagti yourself and spend time with them, and project your spiritual energy and awareness out and into them.

Thanks BhagatSingh and everyone else. Yes, I know that's the area I'm lacking. Thanks for reminding me. God bless you and your family.

how about it you buy the children each a small mala and ask them to say japa before bed

also talk to them about God and His qualities.  that He is always with them in their hearts. so to always be brave.

another must is the 'golden rule', don't be nasty to anyone, even if they are nasty to you.

also to be honest, not to tell lies or deceive.

stay away from bad company. not to use bad language. not to be influenced by other kids at school or crap on tv. 

tell them come and talk to you if they have questions etc

Das ji

I have seen those kinds of books (moral instruction) in Panjabi, but they tend to be secular stories- old Panjabi parables, fables with talkng animals, stories about princes and paupers etc, with moral lessons. These books are used when children are learning to read Panjabi.

I saw one in English, about Guru Nanak's childhood, recently here in England.  It seemed quite nice.

Thought that might help.

again to Das

I just looked at the link you gave.  That book very much reminded me of the 'Amar Chitra Katha' produced in India.  My friend was an avid collector of them.  They are not produced by Sikhs obviously, but I think they have an issue about Guru Nanak Dev ji (although I havent checked it out).

First of all, thanks everyone for your valued options/suggestions/recommendations/links. I really appreciate it.

I just want to clarify certain things as follows: 

In our family we do path regularly and the children also do the same. We also tell them good qualities, Spiritual principles, how-to-differentiate between good-vs-bad. This part is being done to the extent we are capable off. But the real issue is that kids do spend most of their time in school, TV, Cartons etc......even though we've limited the screen time, but you know they always think about the things from which they have been warned (basic nature of humans). So, we cannot just NO to TV, cartoons, school; I tried that but that increases the real issue........Monkey Mind. So, the next best option is to teach them in a way they can understand via the interactive sessions with books, Tv, cartoons.

But eventually, all this doesn't matter because at the end of the day, children do subconsciously follow their habits (from previous birth's karma).......sometimes good seed does germinate quickly if proper environment (including parents) are provided and sometimes not. Souls chose the parents before the birth (if given a chance) so that it's more easier for them to progress based upon their current quota of karma. So, the bottom line is: it is all about the karma but we can't just ignore our responsibilities (even though they are also part of the game).......free-will is also an illusion.

Free-will is a delusion as long as one is a slave to the ego's fears and desires. It can be exercised only when one is aware and unattached to desires, and the dualities of life, and has no ego. By cultivating non-attachment one sees beyond liking and disliking, success and failure, loss and gain, pleasure and pain, to the Truth of things. There are very rare who actually does have really free-will (or say no-will or say the will of God); we all are just dancing to the tune of Maya. There is only one way to out: Grace.........even Grace is of 4 types: Grace-Of-God: We already have that as we've the chance (human-body); Grace-of-Scriptures: it is also there; Grace-of-Guru: it comes when the seeker has made the maximum effort and have exhausted; Grace-of-One-self: It is the grace that we have to do on ourselves (as BhagatSIngh as mentioned)....it is having the will to undertake a purposeful journey in life, to do the spiritual work of life, and to prepare oneself.

Now, see how these days I've become a Fake Brahmin/Sant/Scholar..........who has learnt the techniques but saala apne te experiment nahi karda. I should remember that: A tiny bit of knowledge is required for Salvation (i.e I'm separated and I'm that).................but there is no point to attain all kinds of knowledge because all knowledge is incomplete without HIM. pata nahi ke likh reha haan, chalo dil to pagal hai!

1 hour ago, das said:

Grace is of 4 types: Grace-Of-God: We already have that as we've the chance (human-body); Grace-of-Scriptures: it is also there; Grace-of-Guru: it comes when the seeker has made the maximum effort and have exhausted; Grace-of-One-self: It is the grace that we have to do on ourselves (as BhagatSIngh as mentioned)....it is having the will to undertake a purposeful journey in life, to do the spiritual work of life, and to prepare oneself.

so true.

2 hours ago, das said:

Now, see how these days I've become a Brahmin..........who has learnt the techniques but saala apne te experiment nahi karda.

thats a pretty nasty and unnecessary comment (and no i'm not a brahmin). 

legit brahmins do a lot of meticulous and hard work- have you ever seen how much thought and learning goes into a puja, havan etc

what is the point of doing nindya of other people and their dharams?