Is too much exercise killing you?

paapiman

22 hours ago, Premi said:

What did you learn from the book? 

10 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I think the main takeaway is get up. Yep. 

I dont know what the book says but do as much standing as you can, alternate sitting and standing different heights, continously release your head, neck everything to Vaheguru Ji, take eye breaks, sit at the very very front or the very very back of the chair, or totally laid back but never any of the middle seated positions where the pelvis is titled forward and the shoulders hunch. Even if the work is in front of you, keep awareness of the whole room, look around to continually lubricate the neck. Keep the chest opened up and forward. Move the neck side to side and in circles, especially up and down like nodding. Do wrist stretches. 

I too would especially like @Premi actual takeaway from the book. 

On 11/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, dalsingh101 said:

On 11/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, GurjantGnostic said:

I think the main takeaway is get up. Yep. 

I dont know what the book says but do as much standing as you can, alternate sitting and standing different heights, continously release your head, neck everything to Vaheguru Ji, take eye breaks, sit at the very very front or the very very back of the chair, or totally laid back but never any of the middle seated positions where the pelvis is titled forward and the shoulders hunch. Even if the work is in front of you, keep awareness of the whole room, look around to continually lubricate the neck. Keep the chest opened up and forward. Move the neck side to side and in circles, especially up and down like nodding. Do wrist stretches. 

I too would especially like @Premi actual takeaway from the book. 

I read it 2-3 years ago so cannot remember mcuh

But, I remember that humans not really supposed to be seated much of the time (but this has become common in office jobs). That even doing a little walking intermittently throughout the day in office jobs is helpful to health and reducing cardiovascular risk

Otherwise, I would suggest getting book from Library rather than buying

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DR ELLIE CANNON: Could I be at risk of a heart attack by exercising too much?

I am 64, consider myself very fit and am a healthy weight. I go to the gym three times a week and like to push myself to get my heart rate up. 

Recently I've read about people my age having a heart attack during vigorous exercise. Am I doing too much?

It is common for people to think their body isn't able to withstand brisk exercise as they get older. But it's not strictly true.

The risks from high-intensity exercise depend more on your baseline level of fitness than on your age. If you have no medical conditions or problems and are used to a high level of intense activity, continuing at the same pace is perfectly reasonable.

There are no tests or indicators that guarantee you won't fall ill while you're exercising, but in perfectly healthy people who have been exercising their whole lives, it is unlikely.

Some exercise is crucial as we age. NHS guidelines recommend that adults of 65 who are already active do at least one hour 15 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity every week, or at least 2½ hours of moderate-intensity activity.

Vigorous intensity means activity that makes you breathe faster and harder, such as running, fast cycling or playing tennis. Moderate exercise would be riding a bike, walking or water aerobics.

Your GP surgery can offer a risk score indicating how likely you are to have a heart attack or stroke. The assessment takes into account many factors such as weight, blood pressure and family history, along with your cholesterol and blood sugar.

GPs also offer screening for atrial fibrillation, in which the heart beats irregularly. Sufferers have a higher risk of stroke and heart attack and may find strenuous exercise makes their heart race, leaving them feeling faint. People with atrial fibrillation can still exercise but might need to take longer warming up and cooling down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10360717/DR-ELLIE-CANNON-risk-heart-attack-exercising-much.html

On 11/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, paapiman said:

Maybe even worse. Daas knows of a guy, who was into heavy weight lifting and now he is dead. It started off as upper back pain and then just got worse and worse (affecting other areas of the body too). None of the doctors and tests could figure out what was exactly wrong with him. 

You know of any cases like that?

Bhul chuk maaf

Did they find out at post-mortem ?

On 11/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

There's a critical nerve cluster there that effects everything.  

You can easily mess yourself up lifting big.  

Even if you get big successfully the heart attack gets you. 

Which nerve cluster ? 

On 1/2/2022 at 12:51 AM, dalsingh101 said:

DR ELLIE CANNON: Could I be at risk of a heart attack by exercising too much?

I am 64, consider myself very fit and am a healthy weight. I go to the gym three times a week and like to push myself to get my heart rate up. 

Recently I've read about people my age having a heart attack during vigorous exercise. Am I doing too much?

It is common for people to think their body isn't able to withstand brisk exercise as they get older. But it's not strictly true.

The risks from high-intensity exercise depend more on your baseline level of fitness than on your age. If you have no medical conditions or problems and are used to a high level of intense activity, continuing at the same pace is perfectly reasonable.

There are no tests or indicators that guarantee you won't fall ill while you're exercising, but in perfectly healthy people who have been exercising their whole lives, it is unlikely.

GPs also offer screening for atrial fibrillation, in which the heart beats irregularly. Sufferers have a higher risk of stroke and heart attack and may find strenuous exercise makes their heart race, leaving them feeling faint. People with atrial fibrillation can still exercise but might need to take longer warming up and cooling down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10360717/DR-ELLIE-CANNON-risk-heart-attack-exercising-much.html

https://qrisk.org/three/