Sikh Women’s Aid

Premi

Thoughts ? Potentially dangerous ? I think they need to look at 'prevention' in the 'interfaith' issues rather than saying "mis-leading narratives about Sikh women and girls being disproportionately targeted by Muslim grooming gangs. "

The second one seems to imply it's okay for these things to happen

https://www.sikhwomensaid.org.uk/

https://www.sikhwomensaid.org.uk/about-us/our-team

Sukhi is passionate about raising awareness of child sexual exploitation and sexual abuse within the Sikh and wider BAME community. She has seen a sharp rise in faith based sexual abuse in places of worship & faith settings and has worked tirelessly to shine a spotlight on this issue.

Sukhi is also a founding member of a Sikh/Muslim interfaith group “Same Difference” that is looking to tackle contentious issues between the two groups including mis-leading narratives about Sikh women and girls being disproportionately targeted by Muslim grooming gangs. The group has gone from strength to strength and hosts monthly gatherings to discuss community cohesion and all matters that can bring these two groups together.

Sukhvinder also takes a keen interest in politics and has stood as a local councillor candidate in the Birmingham Elections in 2019.

Regarding the formation of Sikh Women’s Aid, Sukhvinder said, “I am humbled and honoured to be a founding member and trustee of Sikh Women’s Aid. Faith is very important to me, and guides all that I do. Our rich history pays homage to the strength, valour and courage of Sikh Women, from Bebe Nanaki, the sister of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, to Mai Bhago, the formidable Warrior Woman who was as fierce as her male counterparts on the battlefield during the times of the Tenth Master Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I have witnessed for too long, the diminishing spirit of many Sikh women due to decades of oppressive practices that use culture and shame to suppress them. This type of toxic behaviour is not in line with the Sikh Faith nor should it ever been accepted as such.

So, it is in that spirit that our team plants the seed of Sikh Women’s Aid.

"Sikh Women’s Aid is the foundation of a powerful movement by Sikh women for the community. We will now proactively engage with communities and the wider Violence Against Women and Girl’s (VAWG) sector to become a voice for thousands of victims who have been forced to suffer in silence. The work and partnerships that Sikh Women’s Aid will engage in, aim to shatter the oppressive silence around every abusive and violent act that harms women, girls and vulnerable members of the community."

Mandeep Kaur Sungu, or “Minu” as she is affectionately known as by those close to her, is a British born Panjabi Sikh businesswoman who currently resides with her family in the heart of the West Midlands.  

Minu spoke about the formation of Sikh Women’s Aid: “My most prized and cherished role in life is that of a mother to my four children, three of whom are daughters. I am passionate about women knowing that if things are bad, there is help available out there. I want our daughters to grow up knowing that our community is doing more listening to and less talking down to women about their needs.

I want our daughters to feel safe and when things do not go to plan, they are able to seek support and justice without shame, fear, or prejudice. Sikh Women’s Aid will be a champion for women and I am honoured to have set this up alongside a group of professional, trained and competent women”.

100 percent of the youth in our care should be accounted for at all times. And adults should always be paired. Nobody and a child should ever be alone. Cameras are cheap. 

That doesn't have anything to do with any other faith. 

That aspect seems to come to bear when it comes to grooming gangs, which is a whole nother thing to protect against, which is external. 

As far as abuse in the home, only a non judgemental, supportive, prepared culture can thwart that. 

On 1/10/2022 at 1:37 AM, GurjantGnostic said:

The ones who won't accept the victim coming to them as a family those the families who are victimized. The ones that deal in secrecy and appearances.

The ones that deal in unquestionable retribution? And unquestionable acceptance of their own? Untouchable. We are untouchable. 

And I jusy scrolled up to see @Premi and Sukhi Kaur beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

They do, but I think some of the pak ones have a particular hatred/contempt for Sikhs for historical reasons. 

My aunt told my Mum a few years back that she knew a (not sure) Kashmiri/Pakistani lady who didn't like Sikhs  because of Indian soldiers raping women in Kashmir, Some of the soldiers Sikhs

Maybe that is another reason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I called them  a few days ago as had sent an email a while back with a question, they were 'really busy' hence why not  replied to my recent email yet

The lady I spoke with told me that sexual abuse in Sikh community is much higher than the 7% national average (! , no, I don’t believe it)

I genuinely think they want this to be true even though knowing Sikhs, it is likely to be closer to half that or less. 

If anything the domestic violence could be higher than for the white population, but it's probably similar overall. 

1 hour ago, Premi said:

I called them  a few days ago as had sent an email a while back with a question, they were 'really busy' hence why not  replied to my recent email yet

The lady I spoke with told me that sexual abuse in Sikh community is much higher than the 7% national average (! , no, I don’t believe it)

I genuinely think they want this to be true even though knowing Sikhs, it is likely to be closer to half that or less. 

If anything the domestic violence could be higher than for the white population, but it's probably similar overall. 

Didn't they get my transformer application? They're polling method has zero credibility in the world of bots and trolls. 

2 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Didn't they get my transformer application? They're polling method has zero credibility in the world of bots and trolls. 

More info here; they clearly have an agenda to keep getting funding as a 'charity'

https://www.sikhwomensaid.org.uk/information/publications

https://www.sikhwomensaid.org.uk/files/Sikh_Womens_Aid_From_Her_Kings_Are_Born.pdf

• 4 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66226832

image.thumb.png.8c1a15d961bf54bfc60d897296ad0dd3.png

A vigil has been held to remember women of Sikh heritage who have lost their lives to domestic violence or so-called "honour crimes".

The event, in Birmingham's Centenary Square, took place on what would have been the birthday of Surjit Athwal, who was killed in India in 1998.

Her husband and mother-in-law were jailed for arranging her murder.

Charity Sikh Women's Aid (SWA) said the remembrance day will be held every year.

It said this would raise awareness of Sikh women who had died "in domestic homicides or suicide as result of domestic and sexual abuse" and "other harmful practices including 'so-called' honour-based abuse".

Sahdaish Pall, from the charity, said: "It's not a subject matter that's talked about very much in our community. It's quite taboo. It's brushed under the carpet and today what we're doing is we want to bring this to the forefront.

"A, we need to accept first of all that this is happening and, B, we need to do something about it.

"We've got to challenge this oppression and abuse of our women, because it's the only way to save lives."

SWA, which has a national victim support service, is a community-based organisation set up by women from the Sikh community in the West Midlands.

Surjit Athwal, 27, originally from Coventry, was murdered during a trip to the northern Indian state of Punjab in 1998, in a so-called "honour killing".

Her mother-in-law, Bachan Athwal, and husband Sukhdave Athwal, from Hayes, west London, were jailed at the Old Bailey in 2007.

Sahdaish Pall talking to a journalist