babies bowing to the guru granth sahib??

hey!

Have you guyz noticed parents making there lil new borns/ monthlings bow down to guru granth sahib? I am curious but is this really nessisary? i mean its out of respect, but they are babies, they don't really understand, so really what is the point, besides showing off!!

one

actually, i've heard many instances where, as a newborn, youre the most attached to God you'll ever be.. this might just be folkloric, but like... it's said that newborns are the most attached to god than anyone else. therefore, i'm not sure it's such a waste of time.

also, it's all about developing the habit. sure, it might be showing off, but science, which you have shown a keen liking to, proves that the earlier and more often you make a baby go into a certain routine at different places, the higher the chance that the child will do it on his own as he grows older.

i know this specific case in my city. I know this couple who's son is 2. They would "make" him matha tekh even when he was a newborn, at the earliest of ages. ever since he's been about 1 or 1and a half, though, he's come up and done it himself. sure, he may not know what he's doing, but don't you agree that it's hella lot better than the kid walking in and doin nothing?

and finally, why do YOU matha tekh? do you know why you matha tekh? is it REALLY for respect? or is it to receieve Guruji's proverbial hand on your head, as in blessing? what is actually the true purpose of matha tekh-ing. (i should make that an official verb:

I matha tekh

you matha tekh

he/she matha tekhs

we matha tekh

you matha tekh

they matha tekh)

maybe we're showing off just as much as those parents.... somethin to think about?

yeah i think its good to make children come to the habit to, even if they don't really understand, im not sure what EXACTLY we bow down for.. maybe someone cud explain that to me...?? didn't our gurus say no worship or something, i mean i know we are not bowing at a "book", that we are bowing what is in the Guru Granth Sahib and its teachings, but still lil confused... maybe someone can clear things up for me....

keep on smiling :)

im not sure what EXACTLY we bow down for.. maybe someone cud explain that to me...?? didn't our gurus say no worship or something, i mean i know we are not bowing at a "book", that we are bowing what is in the Guru Granth Sahib and its teachings, but still lil confused... maybe someone can clear things up for me....

Everyone has different reasons (see the reply above for example). I do it for many reasons. For instance, when my matha touches the floor, I feel as if I'm touching the Lotus feet of my Guru. Every time I bow down to him, he takes away a part of my ego. I hope one day he will rid me of it.