A Muslim at the Gurdwara

BAZ

A couple of weekends ago I was visiting my friend Harminder (Harry) in Brampton. Harry is a amritdhari Sikh and we have been friends for about 11 years. We went to the Gurdwara 3 times to see Bhai Avtar Singh Ji and to record him doing kirtan and sing shabads in the way it was done at the time of the Gurus (in raag form using a stringed instrument called a “daous†I believe).

Now there is one thing as a muslim I am not supposed to do in a Gurdwara and that is to prostrate myself in front of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. This isn’t because of any disrespect… I’m not even supposed to do this to the Holy Quran and we consider that to be the actual and exact word of God. Prostration for a muslim is restricted to only the Formless Creator because even His words cannot contain Him. I have done seva in a gurdwara before by serving langar a number of times.

Anyway, as I entered the hall I stood at the doorway facing the holy book and joined my hands and bowed my head to show my respect and sat down to listen to Bhai Avtar Singh. He started and it brought tears to my eyes. I thought “God is closer to me than my jugular vein yet I feel so far from Himâ€. I missed Him and missed that feeling of closeness. I felt like my inner being could remember a time when we were together and I longed for that.

My talks with Harry are quite often about religion and spirituality. My Sikh best friend makes me want to be a better muslim and does make me a better muslim. I always look forward to going to the Gurdwara with him. I enjoy our talks. He is my brother. I pray that Muslims and Sikhs would have this kind of love, respect and understanding for each other.

History doesn’t always have to remain in the past. What was between Guru Nanak and Mardana and Bala should be alive within us today. What was between Mian Mir and Guru Arjan should be alive within us today.

Oh that gator is "Lady Chompsalot".. shes quite nice actually once you get her out of her enclosure... but getting her out.. well u gotta be careful ;)

I also think that there are a lot of people who do think like me.. well I hope there is. Just that extremist kuthay uchee ponkdhey ya it usually drowns out the calm voices but mai kutheya tho nai dardha. ;)

People who look for differences to stay divided think they have something to prove. It doesnt make sense to think that way. In a way they think they have ownership over God and what worse form of idol worship is there than that?

Muslims with an extremist mentality will say that unless you accept Islam then you are bound for hell. What they fail to realise is that maybe their version and practice of Islam is repulsive to a spiritual minded person. Then you have muslim converts who believe it to be their duty to lead people and invite them to Islam... how can u invite someome to a path you are clearly a novice on? Its idiotic. So people of other faiths are put off by your version and practice of Islam and dont become muslim and are therefore bound to hell? Gimme a break... this doesnt sound like the plan of the Most Gracious and Most Merciful.

There is a saying of the Prophet that the Jews have 71 sects and one will enter heaven, the christians have 72 sects and one will enter heaven, the muslims have 73 sects and one will enter heaven. Now you have sunnis and their subsects and shias and their subsects all arguing over how they are the one which are going to heaven and missing the point completely. From what I understand and what my gut tells me this "sect" in each religion that will obtain the pleasure of God are people with a certain mindset. People who are purifying their hearts and listening to the voice of God within them to the best of their ability.

Rambled on there or a bit. Maaf karo.

I agree that at the spiritual level a true sikh is a muslim and a true muslim is a sikh if we take "muslim" and "sikh" to mean "one who submits to the will of God".

But then on a worldly level I guess a sikh is a sikh and a muslim is a muslim because we choose the path we travel on. On a worldly level I cant call myself a sikh when I dont follow the Gurus' commands. On a worldy level I am a muslim because I try to follow the guidelines in the Quran and believe in the "prophethood" (the english word "Prophet" doesnt do justice to the meaning of Nabi and Rusul) of Muhammad (PBUH). This belief will have me do and accept some things that as a sikh I would have to reject. I do fast. I will go on pilgrimage God willing. I accept the practice of making meat halaal. Why do I believe this? Because as a muslim I believe that the Quran is the exact and revealed word of God and He tells me to fast, go on hajj and to make animals halaal for food. He tells me this for my own benefit and I try to look for and understand the benefit in this.

But even though our paths are different I can only automatically feel an attachment and love for those individuals who do what they do with the intention of following God and being good to His creation.

In my opinion the hearts of believers is the same regardless of religion. The heart is independant of the brain in that sense. The brain just tries its best to put good intentions into some form of action.

Baz can I borrow your croc? Its for a..um farm, stick around and you'll know what I'm talking about :oops:

Ps. Your posts on this thread are really inspirational, I'd began to hate all Muslims lately, but your words have made me rethink what I believe, keep posting and welcome to SA! :D

Haw Black Goddess I know u wanna turn it into a purse! :P

I think I understand where your hate comes from.. I dislike a lot of what I see in the muslim community myself. Just got to be careful with hate though... it can either repell you from what you hate towards something that is opposite and therefore good, or it can consume you... and you dont want the second. Anyway, Im glad my posts made you rethink what you believe. Salaams and Sat Sri Akal :)

veer Baz,

Vahiguru ji Ka Khalsa Vahiguru Ji Ki Fateh

1st off, welcome to SA.........

2nd, it's great to know that there are great beings (manukhs) such as yourself that are accepting of everything......Dhan ho Tusi.........Since you know harry, (Jai Sri Mahadev Sarav Nashaak Shiv Ji Maharaj............ :wink: :LOL::LOL::LOL: ) you should come to the dera (he'll clarify that for you) for more uplifting talks........

but again thanks for the truly inspirational words...............

Cybersingh is this the dera of Tim Horton Brampton Wala u speak of? :P

Black Goddess.. turn the gator into a whip? haw! Kenu marna ya odhay naal??? That gator is a better whip alive.. trust me.. Ive been whipped on the backside by her tail a few times and it hurts! lol

Cybersingh is this the dera of Tim Horton Brampton Wala u speak of? :P

Black Goddess.. turn the gator into a whip? haw! Kenu marna ya odhay naal??? That gator is a better whip alive.. trust me.. Ive been whipped on the backside by her tail a few times and it hurts! lol

hey Baz, Ji that is the same dera. We will initiate you with the amrit of a large triple-triple. Dhan Baba Barinder Singh Ji (Sri Narayana maha rakhwalla satchitanand108/111 saroop vishnu ji) and Dhan Baba Harminder singh Ji (Mahadevan ka Dev, Sarav -Nashak, Shiv Ji Maharaj)..............Jai Ho Tuhadi

..........a medium double-double to go, plz................. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

But even though our paths are different I can only automatically feel an attachment and love for those individuals who do what they do with the intention of following God and being good to His creation.

In my opinion the hearts of believers is the same regardless of religion. The heart is independant of the brain in that sense. The brain just tries its best to put good intentions into some form of action.

Respect :D

Gurfateh

As per Islam(eveen at present) a Muslim is a Person who consider Rasool Akram Sal al Lahe Salle Va Vasllam as Rasol.Well Jafernammah Writtan by Tenth Master does call Rasool as a Rasool and Dasham Granth's Vachitar Natak Deos endrose that Rasool was sent By Akal.

Not only this As per Jaffernammah Kuran is words of God.And JaPu Sahib has oen name of Akal(eternal) as Allah(un emptiable).

Holy Kuran says that person having Faith in Allah,Doing Good and Having faith that one day deeds will br judged gets salvation.But all under the will of one without whose consent leafe does not flutter and who is nearer to the vein in neck.

Regarding Holy Qabbah,Circumsentation and Haj and Halal they are all symbloic of deeper spritaul meaning.Das can say that as per Gurmat we can have 73rd interpetation of Islam and Gurmat is rahter fit to termed as a Sect of Islam.

But tobe more clear the way Islam at present has relation to Jews and Christian calling them people of the book.In the same way for Guramt present day Muslims are people of the book but that is only for practical use at present time.

If we study All Semitic faiths(Das considered Gurmat also one of them) they are all one and the same.

Lastly Both Gurmat and Islam(Sura 3rd and perhapos 5th) does not say enforecing to eat Jhtaka or Halal.As per Suras in compulsion Pork,Dead,Blood or meat of animal killed without the name of God can be used and Allah can pardon.

Same is in Sau Sakhi were Guru says that in compulsion if some one eats Halal Sikki will not go.Sikhi does not go by compulsion but with will full acts like Adultary with Bigots like Turk(Das here want to say that this term Turk is used in our scriptures ,which is not refered to Muslims but hypocrate who inspie being self aclaimned Muslim still condisered themselves as Race or Turk while in Islam as per our First Prophet(Called Baba Adam in Guru Granth Sahib Ji) whole human race is one by Hazrat Adam Ahle Salah.

• 2 months later...

My best friends are Punjabi Muslims and they go to Gurdawars with me everytime matter of fact they come from Nankana Sahib and they do sewa as well.

They don't mind at all and they admit that their parents converted to Islam from Hindus or Sikhs long time ago.

Many Afgan Muslims do a lot of seva as well.