got a ? for NEO JI

Ok... put it this way...

I do not drink, and never have... (and never ever will!)...

The reason?

Well... it has less to do with Sikhi (well, at least originally it did, but obviously it is heavily affected by Sikhi too - im not making sense, its ok though!)

Anyway... my grandmother (my nanni!)... I love her to to death, shes amazing and I admire her more than anyone in the world... she's who Malkit was talking about when he said "Maa hai Rabh da roop"... Oh well, she's obviously Amrit Shak and lives the most heavenly and righteous lifestyle i've ever witnessed...

She's so smart in her viewpoints on life, and one of her beliefs is that you should never leave food on your plate since it is both heaven-sent and because there are countless people starving in the world!

So... a lot of the time, my cousins who would drink, cut their hair etc would leave their food and she would eat it... and it would hella kill be because she had so much faith in her grandkids that she wouldnt dream that they would ever partake in any bullshit, and as a result had no hesitating in consuming their last piece of food, since she didnt want it to go wasted! Seeing this, I always promised myself that I wouldnt drink because I didnt want my SINS going into my grandmother... you digs?

I hope this made sense, im out on a tangent... one luuuh Sangat!

What do you suppose would have happened if you had taken a bite from her plate? It is obvious that she did it as a good gesture to offer you food from her plate. From the girls stand point it is an actually sign that she cares for you greatly and trust you enough to share her food with you. Your answer seemed very arrogant to her hence the offense.

I can only see 2 points, there might be mroe..

Theer are few sides, one side is the germs, bacteria from the others plate that you can induce. This is practical to some extent, that is if she slobered all over the food, i mean even if you are not amritdhari, you wouldn't want to eat that anyway. So to some extent one point to avoid jhooth is that the bacteria or others sickness (flu, cough..etc) can be digested. I have seen people who aren't amritdhari don't like to eat the food from another for their personal reasons or whatever.

The spiritual side has much more greater significanse in eating only that has been prepared by you and untouched by others. Food (solid or liquid) is a very good absorbant of vibrations that we project with our thoughts. Because we cannot know for certain the state of the everyones mind or thoughts we are told to avoid eating the food that others have touched because whether one is prone to such vibrations or not, it is definetly something which one needs to be aware of on their spiritual journey. The mind is very suceptable to vibrations, Our aura is like a huge web of absorbing sensors and antennas that pick up anything and everything that is present in the surrounding. Just as any Sincered Spiritual Person who is fully aware of this perception will avoid eating food that is made in Anger, Jelousy, Hatred that food might as well be poison to him/her. On the other hand food prepared with love can be necter. Also you should take notice that if one is a deep spiritual person and takes food as a gift from God then nothing can affect him. It is a level of our awareness taht will dictate what affects us and what does not. An individual can very much turn a poison into nector simply by his presence/prayer....just as darkness disapears the instant light enters the room.

So you might think that food you eat at home is ok just because no one touched it..well another point is raised, what about those who harvested the food were they Khalsa? What about the person who sold it or the person who took it to market, cleaned it with his hands?? Thru such thoughts this whole idea of Jhooth/Soocham becomes rather pointless. One thing i Love about Christians is the fact that they pray before eating as a norm. That prayer can turn any harmfull vibrations that my exist on the table into Positivity. My personal Opinion, if you had done a small prayer and you had eaten from her plate, that food would not have been jhooth. It would've become parsaad. If your eyes had seen the God within her and were able to see her hands as the hands of God and they offered you food from her share, you would've been blessed. It is what we see that matters.

but then again this is just my opinion and i am no expert on this matter.

good points pheena.

bro you did a great right thing to refuse an jhooth and you stick to the maryada... you should explain her it's because of religious reasons which has do with health. hakum from panj pyares, i refused it.. . i have no other intention in my mind when i refused it.. sorry if i hurted you... i have no intention of doing that.

good points pheena.

bro you did a great right thing to refuse an jhooth and you stick to the maryada... you should explain her it's because of religious reasons which has do with health. hakum from panj pyares, i refused it.. . i have no other intention in my mind when i refused it.. sorry if i hurted you... i have no intention of doing that.

that is sound advice bro, :) straight and to the point.

"What about those who harvested the food were they Khalsa?"

This is a never-ending rabbit hole... we can keep digging, and digging forever...

Also...

My mom made me Pizza yesterday, but she cut her finger while cutting it into slices... she started cussing, but yet, the PIZZA didn't absord these harsh vibrations and was *excuse my french* off tha hizzle...

N3O... I didnt know eating someone elses jhoot was a forbidden according to Sikhism. Can someone provide quotes on this?

I know for muslims it is quite the opposite... infact muslims are encouraged to share their food and arabs will sometimes eat out of the same large dish. It is said that there are blessings in this and adds to that sense of brotherhood. But ofcourse you wouldnt share with someone who is bamaar.

N30... I was gonna share my Double Chocolate donut with you at the "Dera" next time we met but I suppose Ill have to buy you your own ;) lol

baz,

I know for muslims it is quite the opposite... infact muslims are encouraged to share their food and arabs will sometimes eat out of the same large dish.

Sikhs also beleive in sharing food with others but when it comes to sharing left over morsel.. actually rules are there.. however one should use its own buddhi depending on circumstances really..for example- if one is dying for hunger and you are eating an food .. it's a duty for sikh to buy the food first if not then share the food regardless if its' jhoot or not.... if one at those circumstances one does not share food with others regardless if its jhoota or not..then one is following an empty rule...ehvi karam khand pakhand(drama) .. udhai salaie daie jhootiya paniya chahidiya ..lol :LOL:

N30... I was gonna share my Double Chocolate donut with you at the "Dera" next time we met but I suppose Ill have to buy you your own lol

hawwwwwwww.. :LOL: :lol:

What exactly is considered jhoota though? For example, if I was to tear a roti in 2 and give one half to another then would that be jhoota? Would eating daal from the same dish be jhoota? Of course eating someones leftovers would be jhoota but what about sharing as mentioned in the other 2 examples?

Let me know which donut you like praava coz Im coming down 1st weekend of December. If you are at the Dera before me then Id like a xtra large triple triple with a toffee glazed donut please :)

"What about those who harvested the food were they Khalsa?"

This is a never-ending rabbit hole... we can keep digging, and digging forever...

Also...

My mom made me Pizza yesterday, but she cut her finger while cutting it into slices... she started cussing, but yet, the PIZZA didn't absord these harsh vibrations and was *excuse my french* off tha hizzle...

It is the Intent veer that is the source. How do you know it didn't? ;) . Ofcourse i didn't say that in terms of it might kill you, but that whole point cannot be disregarded by just one example of a cuss word. :)

For example, if I was to tear a roti in 2 and give one half to another then would that be jhoota?

No that wouldn't be jhoota.

Would eating daal from the same dish be jhoota?

Yes i think that will fall into jhoota.

if you had been eating with the hands you use to tear the roti - thats joota

two people eating daal from the same dish at the same time - joota

the only exception i know is eating leftover food of a Mahapursh, and of your mother.

i cant see how who the people who harvested the food are has anything to do with this.

Joot comes in from the time when the food is being cooked, as soon as it is washed.

If it falls on the ground - joot - but can be washed agian if its fruit or summin

If people taste the food and use the same hands to keep cookin without washing - thats also joot.

you should avoid eating food made by people that are angry while makin it as much as possible.

jhoota...

well I believe it was mehtaab singh (correct me if I'm wrong) who was noted for sitting beside the poor and eating with them in the langar (and not every poor person was amritdhari).

jhoot- well there are many elements to this

1) cleanliness- basic germs

2) 'spiritual' cleanliness- a whole milieu of reasons why it lessens spirituality

3) ego- "look guys, I'm religious and pure......btw, you're not"

4) in times of war- being careful that someone isn't trying to infiltrate, hence; making sure you eat along side those who you know and trust

5) non-literal meaning: could refer to stealing or other 'sins'

with most people, they follow whatever their religion tells them, and certain acts of love and devotion, which are manifested through restraints and practices tend to somehow take credit for spiritual advancement...instead of akaal purakh and akaal purakh's nadar (gurparsad)

this is my take, I could be wrong...but either way; its a perspective

for baz: rehitnaama's and some "oral tradition" do refer to not eating the jhoot of non-amritdhari's.... (who and when those rehitnaamay were written by etc..are a cause of conflict at times).

I do subscribe to the cleanliness thing, ie. I prefer not to eat the jhoota of a someone who has drank liquor or smoked....everything else, I don't think I've ever given anythought too

my 2 cents

i think pint of someones saliva will give u aids, not that a person is gonna try it :LOL:, having someones drinks , bottle to bottle, maybe possible that you will get ill

but they are times when you cant avoid it, like when a mother tries to teach a child how to eat, but dont want it from a different plate but from the same plate becoz they child thinks if we give food in a seperate plate that his/ her mother is not giving the same food, hence , its not fair, :LOL:,