Sikhs & Clubbing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, see Sonia Ji heres the thing, our fathers (Guru's) tell us "Jiwan Jugat" the way to live...they say while we are imbued in Gurbani, we can achieve salvation while we laugh, play, wear [cloths], eat. So in that aspect a Sikh is NOT restricted to going anywhere, so long as he/she has the AllMIghty in his/her heart and mind. But let me give you some info. from personal experience, not to long ago I too wondered these things and argued with Granthis and Gainis and not to mention parents. Till the day that something happened at a club which changed my life and the life's of the peoples are me who cared and loved me, and love me still. A while back I had spoke to Giani Sahib Singh about this "club topic" and he had given me an example which I now understand. He said that watch out Happy, cuz when someone wearing all white goes into a room with filled with charcoal, and black stains, even if he/she (that goes into that room) may not touch anything, however he/she will still come out with at least one stain. The point on what i am saying is sometimes even if our Gurus didn't directly forbade us on doing thing he's given us such sense and intellect that points onto making the right decisions, but at the end you will do what you want to regardless, i know cuz i did, until that one day the Guru blesses you with some other means to understand, i just hope its not as painful as is was mine.

i cudn't b bothered to read everybody's reply so i mite be repeatin what's already been said........

personally those of us who go out having a good time, good 4 u

i've been clubbing once! it ws the most boring thing i've ever done, i wasted precious hrs where i cud have been doin better things

the majority of the time all i see in Indian boys and girls behaving badly, disrespecting each other as well as thier families, if nething it just relfects badly on their parents

im not that bothered by it, but just feel its rather unfortunate that people are beginning to lose their hertitage, not that India's a good example, the girls and guys there are just as bad, if not worse, than here. I'm not saying everyone if like this, coz i know plenty of ppl who aren't

everyone's entitled to a good time, and what ppl do for fun in itself is subjective, ie. what's fun for me is most deifnately not fun for anyone else (i put a bet on that one :) )

all's im saying is be safe!

l8rz potataz

Waheguru je ka Khalsa

Waheguru je ke Fateh! :D

Dearest Sangat,

I have just been reading the posts about this subject and i just thought I wud add my two cents in as well!

As an Amritdari Singhni(who wears a turban!) I have been clubbing. I have been a couple of times and I find it now extremely boring. Having been only a couple of times I had a great time because of the group of people I went with. My sangat that I went with went only for the music and to have a dance.

Kaljug is everywhere and is most probably heightened in clubs but God can be found at clubs wen I found out the last time I went clubbing. I went into a club in Cardiff (Wales) where there are hardly any asians let alone sikhs! Neways I went to the club and I had the best time ever why? because a group of sikh lads who were holiday in Cardiff at that time were there too and one of them approached me and we spent about an hour or so talking about sikhi and he said to me that just that day he was telling his family he gonne grow his kesh and now seeing me there he took it as a sign to get more into his sikhi. This completely boosted me! That I had helped in some way to spread the word of our Gurus.

Now I know that people may criticise me and that is fine. If you feel better doing that then do it. At the end of the day I dont judge others because that makes me egotistical and sikhi is all about pyar. Waheguru has given us all a brain to think for ourselves. I accept that other people have a different rehat to me that doesnt make them wrong and it doesnt make me right. We all have a personal relationship with Waheguru that is unique to you and Waheguru.

Finally I just wanted to say that sikhi is about pyar for each other. If you live your life with Pyar for yourself, others and Waheguru then that pyar will radiate from within and the people around will see your anand and want to share that.

Sorry If i have offended anyone and May you all stay in Chardikala with Waheguru's blessings! :LOL:

Waheguru je ka khalsa

Waheguru je ke fateh! :D

KaurSingh i have alot of respect for you. Wh

Its great sto see that despite your religiousness you still went clubbing and it isnt something that makes you anyless religious. I may not be a amridhari but i still as religious, i amslowly getting there but when people siad to me you cant go clubbing and be religious i started to have doubts about myself.

Dear Sonia,

If by going clubbing makes one less religious then our faith in Waheguru isnt really that strong. I live in an area where people havent ever seen a gal wear a turban because of that at times my faith has been really tested. You shouldnt let others tell you whether or not you are religious or not. No one has that right to judge your religiousness!

If you ever doubt yourself you should just go straight to Gurbani because there all the answers lie. Just remember that Waheguru is always with you even when your in a club! :wink:

Lots of pyar :P

Gurfateh Ji!

fateh - i agree with kaursingh - like i said earlier - there is nothing really wrong with going to a club, it depends on wat u do when u are there

ive been to a few gigs with friends - either cos its been their birthday or end of a uni yr - and personally i dont mind a lil dance doonce :oops: but the whole club scene is very unappealing to me - dancing at a wedding is different and everyones having a laugh - where at a club the atmosphere is a bit more ummm... seedy? :? and everyones fighting n stuff - but overall id rather stay at home n listen to kirtan :D

i love it when gorey look and stare cos the way i look is different to the average person.... at least we stand out like shri guru gobind singh ji wanted us to :wink:

fateh :)

personally i feel that as an sikh youth member i am likely to go clubbing when i'm older- but i know i wunt do anything that isnt right. i have faith in myself. At the moment many of my friends drink, many smoke n do drugs etc but i am not tempted in the slightest coz i see what state there in afterwards and my parents have taught me right from wrong and showed me the way Guru Ji has told us to live. to me thats a blessing because i have a gift many dont. I can read panjabi and do kirtan and i like doing it. I do it out of choice not because i am forced in to it!

personally i feel that as an sikh youth member i am likely to go clubbing when i'm older- but i know i wunt do anything that isnt right. i have faith in myself. At the moment many of my friends drink, many smoke n do drugs etc but i am not tempted in the slightest coz i see what state there in afterwards and my parents have taught me right from wrong and showed me the way Guru Ji has told us to live. to me thats a blessing because i have a gift many dont. I can read panjabi and do kirtan and i like doing it. I do it out of choice not because i am forced in to it!

well done - i love hearin stuff like this :D

wel... y do sikhs go clubbin 4? datz da q :? :? :?

i fink da only reason sikhs go clubbin is 2 hit of wiv each ova, if ne of u's hav ben 2 nagar kirtan u wud knw wat im tryin2 say !!

most guys n gurls dat go nagar kirtan jus go 4 guys or gurls sme wiv clubbin, i knw bear ppl dat go clubbin n 4 wat reason they go 4 i'm nt gonna say y thou.

sikhs n clubbin dnt mix!!!, gora kala pakis they go jus 2 do dis n dat!

wel.. i really fink it'z up 2 u wat u wanna do wiv ur life, e.g hav a clean path in front of u or u can hav a path dat u knw dat ur gonna mess upur life wat eva way u turn.

wel.. u also hav 2 fink about ur parents coz if sum1 c'z u in a club they easliy can giv u a nme, it dnt matta bout guys coz they can do wat they like as far as i knw but gurls we jus hav 2 keep our slf's sfe n sound so i once member 1 of my close m8z wen clubbin n boy she got a bad nme by sum nxt guy. trust it'z nt a gud feelin, i also member ppl change wen the go clubbin!!

if i was u i wud take time 2 fink it ova!

wel..if u fink im rong replies a welcum

i jus read summin n i jus wana knw why u say this

simi said

personally i feel that as an sikh youth member i am likely to go clubbing when i'm older

why?? who says??

coz ur sikh ur likely to clubbing...

dont u mean

"coz im a sikh youth member i DONT THINK i am likely to go to a club"

wat? is it now expected of us to go to a club coz we are sikh??

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

First off, I would like to say I find this site to be a very productive one. It is great that we as young sikhs can talk so openly about issues that concern us and not have negativity towards each other in our replies, but mutual respect. This I hope is a standard that has been set and will dictate the course of this discussion. With Vaheguru's Kirpa, I hope we all will continue to learn from each other, and see things from differing perspectives and points of view.

My views on this topic will be fairly biased, due to my limited exposure to the "club scene." To tell you the truth, the closest I have been to a club, has been when I went to a Club Punjab Formal. There was a mixed crowd, of all ethnic groups. There was alot of drinking, smoking, grinding, and various other activities that took place in the men's washroom. Needless to say, at that time, I was appalled by the behaviour of alot of the youth that was there. But one thing that I came to realise from this experience, was that alot of the youth that was there had mixed motivations to being there but one set of core reasons. Alot of people were there to feel better inside. To feel happier, to feel alive, and dare I say, to feel loved and accepted. Not too dissimiliar from the motivations many have for going to their respective places of worship. Some people say clubbing is nothing but maya personified. If that were the case, we have had the opportunity to read the accounts of one sister that observed, first hand, the workings of Guru in this "house of maya".

So what is my point? What am I trying to get to? Nothing complicated, but something very basic and intrinsic. The motivation to feel Love and to be Loved. People go to places, where they feel they will experience this. It is not a sin to want to feel peace inside, to feel physical affection, to feel alive, to feel you have purpose, to feel you are accepted. For those that disagree, with this concept of Love as a motivator for our actions, and those that think this Love is over-rated, I ask you to look at your motivations in life. What drives you and to what ends? We use lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego, as quick avenues to something beyond them. These elements are never satisfied, as they serve a temporary purpose. They take us further away, from something we unconsciously try to become closer to, by using these qualities. A quick fix to an innate desire.

It is akin to a mother having a baby for the sole desire of experiencing love. But love itself can only come from where it originates, within us.

We all know, what right and wrong is. We all know, what brings us joy and sorrow. And we all know what makes us Love (God) Oriented and what does not. This is not something we need to be told or preached about. We just need to listen to Ourselves, Truthfully. If you find joy in a club, reflect upon the Truth within you there, and let it direct your actions. That is, if you want that "high, " or feeling of being alive, or feeling loved not to be temporary and to be lasting. If you find joy elsewhere, that brings you a lasting peace and that is self-sustaining cherish it. Life is short, and so is this opportunity. Whatever you do in this life, do it by being Truthful to yourself. To live, a living lie, is a very sad state indeed.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

VKVF

Respect to all my brothers and sisters out there - VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA...VAHEGURU JI K FATEH!!!!!!!!! (im in a wikid mood)

I down have much too say... but i'd b scared out of my LIFE to be in a club. The amount of stories i hear... scares me like crazy...

I heard that some ppl (who shall remain nameless) actually stand at da top of the DJ boxes or stages or woteva - and look 4 girls hu wear kara's... and plan to do things i wont mention. I think its a big scene of corruption. When my m8 came bak 1 time from a gig, she smelt of buudaaa.. and it was disgusting!!!

I dont think i can comment onclubs in a Sikhi view.... but just for the sake of GENERAL SAFTEY... its not a safe place...!

I wanr you and ask you to never go alone to these gigs or clubs... stay with sum1 ALL THE TIME...!!!!!!!!!

Much luv and REspect

Kaur

VKVF

• 2 weeks later...

i have thought it over and i dont c y i have 2 hold back my social life due to people gossiping and judging me- as long as i myself and waheguru know that i havent commited a sin then why shoud anyone else have a problem with it?

thats the problem of our society and culture not mine! i went to a skool prom recently n den went london afterwards and i came bk at 2'oclock! its the latest i've cum bk home eva. Yeah der were fools who drunk, gals n guys who were together but i had fun with my friends! i neva did anything stupid n i had fun! my parents knew who i was with, where we were n yeah there r sum bibi's who said i shudnt b allowed but my parents trusted me and in return i'm gonna respect that trust and not do anything stupid.

going clubbing- yeah it does clash i admit and there r stories of sikh gals being targeted but as long as you stay with friends who u trust and with crowds, stay in control n not drink plus hav a fun time i dunt c how u can go rong.

• 2 weeks later...

oooooooooooooooooohhhh.... i remember this topic - im sure this has been on b4?!?!?!

1) I thik its wrong but cus of the danger at these clubs especially for sikh gals. So much kaljug out der - specilly in da clubs.

and

2) Be careful Simi penji - dnt eva go to these places alone... even then it is not safe!!!

3) CONGRATS to Neo. I hope to take Arit this summa... im a liccle scared - can i ask u... r u? Im only 15 yeah... im scared..... :(:(:(

How do u feel?

I feel wonderful. Amrit Sanchar was beautiful expereince. So yea just lost my head, when you are losing urs?? :LOL::LOL:

If you wish to play game of love, come to my place on the palm of your hand (Guru gobind singh ji maharaj)

can i just say whilst i would never tell anyone to hold back from taking amrit, that wud b the worst thing, just make sure you are FULLY prepared if u want the highest amrit raas when u take amrit.....if u havent prepared properly then you wont get as much benefit...also do alot of research into the rahit, the controversies over meat, keski etc to make sure that you are sure on everything.

kaur thats wicked ur 15, im 16 n hope to take amrit in about 2yrs....

urm simi.....im not going to say anything....most people probably know how i feel on clubbing and whatnot :roll:

lolzzzzzzzzzzz

Neo.... I duno... no exact date knida thing - im in dat place where all the thoughts are battling each otha out.... even though i know i defo will, i just dont kow yet.

I dont know hot to be sure... even though i know i will... im scared of taking that leap.

Sum1 sed 2 e dat afta u tek Amrit... everything that happens 2 u is God's command. Even though it already is it is for sure now.

mmmmmmmmmmm.... im scared thow still....!

CONGRATS to u thow pagee.... wish u the best path.

Hopefully... these summa holidays init. :oops:

And khalsa soulja.... big u up... u have helped e in the past aswell yeh with a lot so THANKUUU...!

Nuff respec 2 u pagee... do u feel different? u prob say yeah - the obvious yeh - but how did u feel coing out of the ceremony... im sorry if that was a personal question. u dont have 2 answer...

a good read is "amrit ki hai" by bhai randhir singh. the english translation is up on the www.akj.org literature section to read.

im sure that neo singh had some life changing experiences, but whether or not he will share them with us (n i dont really expect yah to, so dnt worri) is a different matter lol