Unity Among Sikhs.

My first post.

I want to know if anyone has felt the same.

Since IV grown my hair, been what 4 years, IV noticed people treat and look at me funny. Doesn’t bother me too much because I am who I am, don’t get me wrong am very proud. But the thing that gets me upset is that when other Sikhs esp. singhs ignore you like your not even there. What happened to that respect we had for each other even tho you don’t know each other you would go over say kiddha and get to know each other. Seems like that singhs just look down on other singhs. Which is a great shame. Iv over heard munay rip singhs with paags and daria. Where / when did this divide appear? I seen both sides on the coin, but recently I think Sikhs are more worried about being fashionable then being one with god.

More worrying is what is going to happen to sikhi in the next 20 years, kids these days see Sikh as being part of agang. Don’t think they understand or know any think about sikhi.

What happened to the unity?

Why cant people see you for what you are and not how you look?

kiddhan singh ;)

Like you I stopped cutting my hair in the last 3-4 years, and I agree people do look at you differently. Interestingly enough it was my non-sikh friends who were the most supportive. Those people who were friends with me because I fit the image they wanted to be associated with started stepping away. On the most part though, my experience has been positive.

I thought about exactly what you said, and the truth is....

1) many who come onto this path start off with the purest intentions, and we assume others around us are doing the same thing

2) we realise shortly that there are many forms of elitism, and groupism, and insecurity that is prevalent...even amongst singhs!

so the way I've dealt with it, is to be a singh, talk to others...regardless of who they are. As people who are 'distinct' in our appearance, we are the perfect ambassadors....and if a person is constantly working on themselves for self improvement...you'll see and find many non-sikhs who will be keen to get to know you, and learn about your culture/religion background.

On the most part, anything which is very personal/spiritual etc..can only be appreciated by those who have built the empathy through efforts of their own.....

keep trekking singh :), you'll enjoy the journey

Listen to a track from Damien Marley.. :D

Road to Zion..

" Yeah man, Jah will be waitin there we a shout, Jah will be waitin there!!!!"

Jah = God...

"In this world of calamity, dirty looks and grudges and jealousy"

maybe this is your dilemna !!!

"And police weh abuse dem authority, media crush we nuh know bout variety,"

Dont think this line is relevant..

"Just keep walking on the Road to Zion. Jah will be waiting there."

In the wise words of drawof.. "keep trekking singh"

I've noticed the same thing. I've come across so many rude Sikh girls (I am a girl myself). You smile at them and they give you mean looks. I dont understand this.

I have also noticed that Muslim girls (esp the ones that wear hijab) are so friendly with one another. There is this sense of community, unity amongst Muslims.

Sikhs seriously lack this quality.

It makes me sad to see this... I wish there was more unity amongst Sikhs.

Now I make an effort to say satsriakal to any elder Sikh I see and smile and say hi to other desi ppl, whether they say hi to me or not.

Least I know I'm doing my part :)